astro

Positive TP test, negative X-Ray, anti-biotic for 6 months.

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Went for the TB test, meanwhile I went to a regular dr. she said I have TB in my cells and they will get me eventually. So I have to take those Anti-biotics (on the letter to the other dr she wrote it too) even if the x-Ray tell there is no TB. But back to the the doctor, the nurse (not the dr) said it could be a reaction to the vaccine I had before. I don't think I have to take those antibiotics.

What the immigration will say when they will open the seal envelope?

Thanks

Entry on a tourist (no visa is required for Canadians to enter)

4/7/9 - got married

5/4/9 - Received Marriage certificat.

7/30/9 - NOA

Filed: Timeline

Millions of us who received the BCG vaccine when we were younger test positive for TB.... including me. It's given for the prevention of the disease in parts of the world where it's much more common. The clear x-ray just backs up the fact that there is no active TB in your system.

I am quite concerned that this doctor told you you had to take anti-biotics for a non-active disease. Are you originally from another country and received the vaccine there? Are you living in Canada, now, and was it a Canadian doctor you went to see? It sounds like the nurse is more knowledgeable than the doctor when it comes to this.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Millions of us who received the BCG vaccine when we were younger test positive for TB.... including me. It's given for the prevention of the disease in parts of the world where it's much more common. The clear x-ray just backs up the fact that there is no active TB in your system.

I am quite concerned that this doctor told you you had to take anti-biotics for a non-active disease. Are you originally from another country and received the vaccine there? Are you living in Canada, now, and was it a Canadian doctor you went to see? It sounds like the nurse is more knowledgeable than the doctor when it comes to this.

Exactly, my BIL has tested positive more than once, surprisingly for the immigration medical he didn't! Anyway, it's just as krikit said, it's a false positive test, they do an xray and that's that.

Timeline

It doersnt ALWAYS mean its sa false positive test, it CAN mean that u have TB, but its just not active--cant give it to anyone else! The next step after a positive PPD should mean an X-ray which can confirm it! And yes another reason for a positive PPD is getting that vaccine that Kirikit mentioned! Which they wil prob follow up with a Xray! From my school readings after a Positive PPD, they don't automatically start you on drugs, usually the Xray, then if required drugs, which can last for 6-9 months!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
It doersnt ALWAYS mean its sa false positive test, it CAN mean that u have TB, but its just not active--cant give it to anyone else! The next step after a positive PPD should mean an X-ray which can confirm it! And yes another reason for a positive PPD is getting that vaccine that Kirikit mentioned! Which they wil prob follow up with a Xray! From my school readings after a Positive PPD, they don't automatically start you on drugs, usually the Xray, then if required drugs, which can last for 6-9 months!!

Yup, my brother tested positive, then xray and he started drugs for nearly a year. It was horrible. He wasn't allowed to drink while taking them too. A real feat for someone in college. :lol:

He had worked a summer on the rez, where there were a few infected people.

Timeline

yep and thats the prob--having to take the drugs for sooooo long. Hard to do for some

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Ask for a Quantiferon-gold blood test. If you have been given the BCG vaccine as a child this blood test will not show a false positive result like the Mantoux skin test often does.

I work at a hospital and we do these instead of the mantoux test for pre-employment health screenings. I was given the BCG vaccine when I was a child and mine came back negative

http://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/factshe...testing/QFT.htm

Edited by kaffy

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

I tested positive also and received the BCG vaccine as a child, my xray was neg....the US military Dr who tested me strongly encouraged me to take the 9 month course of antibiotics....I chose not to, they are very harsh on your liver, hence the no drinking rule and was required to take a monthly blood test to check for any damage.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Maybe this will help you. When I had to get a Civil Surgeon to sign my medical I had in Canada She wouldn't sign until I had a TB test. I explained that my X-ray from my medical did not show TB and all was well with my lungs.

After much discussion and an argument I knew I couldn't win, I ended up getting the test.

The Dr. doing the TB test asked why I was getting it and when I explained why she asked if I had been vaccinated when I was a kid. When I said yes she told me there would be a very good chance this test will show positive for TB which it did

I then had to go pay for an X-ray to prove I didn't have TB. This X-ray showed exactly the same as my original X-ray from Canada had shown, all was well with my pretty pink lungs.

So I ended up paying for a TB test and an X-ray to get a Civil Surgeon's signature

Next time a doctor tries to tell you that you need the Mantoux test or that you need to begin treatment because the test results came back a (false) positive refer them to the information about the Quantiferon Gold blood test. I posted the link above but here it is again:

http://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/factshe...testing/QFT.htm

It actually worries me a little that these so called USCIS designated civil surgeons do not know about this

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

:blink:

holy flip.. my mother has tested positive for TB since she was a child and was exposed to it when one of her friends had it..

Come to think of it.. hubby tests positive too.. he was exposed during military days..

Neither have had any symptoms or needed any medication..

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.