It Started

66 posts in this topic

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Good luck on your journey, and always remember the destination!

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Congratulations on your first step. Now comes the hard part, waiting. After getting your NOA1, start your projects to get ready for her arrival. You will have lots of time, so start the long term ones first, like painting, etc. I recommend leaving some area to paint, if that is your plan. You want her to have some input to make her feel it is her home too.

If you can build up some vacation time at work, do it now. You will need some of it when she arrives.

You may as well go through your closets now and start tossing those things that you really don't wear or can't fit into, because she's going to throw them out anyway. Take all of your storage and make space for more than half for her. If that doesn't seem fair, well get use to it. If you can, try to locate stores that carry Russian goods. Sometimes you have to drive quite a ways to locate a good one or two. We have a 1 1/2 hour drive just to find any, so start now, it will pay major benefits later.

Visit VJ more than the USCIS site. You will get very frustrated with the slowness of the process, so spend you idle time here asking questions and helping others pass the process you have already started.

Learn PATIENCE!!! You are going to need it.

You might want to look into ESL classes at a community college near you to help improve her English speaking skills.

This journey you are on is long, frustrating and exhilarating at the same time. The end goal is well worth the trouble. :thumbs:

Congratulations on your first step. Now comes the hard part, waiting. After getting your NOA1, start your projects to get ready for her arrival. You will have lots of time, so start the long term ones first, like painting, etc. I recommend leaving some area to paint, if that is your plan. You want her to have some input to make her feel it is her home too.

If you can build up some vacation time at work, do it now. You will need some of it when she arrives.

You may as well go through your closets now and start tossing those things that you really don't wear or can't fit into, because she's going to throw them out anyway. Take all of your storage and make space for more than half for her. If that doesn't seem fair, well get use to it. If you can, try to locate stores that carry Russian goods. Sometimes you have to drive quite a ways to locate a good one or two. We have a 1 1/2 hour drive just to find any, so start now, it will pay major benefits later.

Visit VJ more than the USCIS site. You will get very frustrated with the slowness of the process, so spend you idle time here asking questions and helping others pass the process you have already started.

Learn PATIENCE!!! You are going to need it.

You might want to look into ESL classes at a community college near you to help improve her English speaking skills.

This journey you are on is long, frustrating and exhilarating at the same time. The end goal is well worth the trouble. :thumbs:

Nicely put! I would add find a good source for cheap international calling minutes ld post, and check out some internet sites where she can see TV and movies in her native language. You will be glad you did - surprise her with them.intv

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
I'm just shy of 3 months out before I get to say the same thing. :)

AK, why don't you go ahead and file, you can always postpone the interview date

Jona.. and Zor..-congrads on joining the ride. Don't be a stranger to the Russian forum; we don't bite............often!

Filed: Timeline

I second this emotion. The RU consulate is really good about accomodating these kinds of requests, and there have been members who have re-scheduled their interview 2 and 3 times, probably more. Get that packet through USCIS, because you really don't want to get stuck in one of their multi-month delay periods that often turns a 6 month wait into a 8-10 month wait. Get through USCIS as quickly as you can, the rest will take care of itself.

You're right to be worried Slim. What with Palin stepping down and all, just who's going to keep an eye on Russia from her house? Egads!

I just heard on the radio tonight the U.S. owes Russia something like $128.4 Billion. Where'd that come from? It can't all be from arming the Afghans, can it? And isn't it funny how businessmen, no matter which country they're from, they don't care who they screw over as long as they get their money.

With the crazy world getting crazier, I think I'm going to take a cue from our government and go farther and farther into debt to buy more and more ammo. Russia will get their money back somehow!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Thanks all for the welcome and tips.

I'm doing a lot of them now. Cleaning, separating out needs and wants, then further into don't need/don't want from don't need, but would still like :P

Cleaning out my storage room and giving clothes I don't and never will wear again to Good Will, etc.

I am either lucky (or not, depending...) on that at my job there is a whole 'Eastern Europe' community of Bulgarians, Bosnians, Russians, Belarusans, and Romanians who can give me help with food stores and ESL courses.

I did the suggestion to take pics of 'normal' stuff a great idea. I've already got Walmart and Wendy's off my list

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
Thanks all for the welcome and tips.

I'm doing a lot of them now. Cleaning, separating out needs and wants, then further into don't need/don't want from don't need, but would still like :P

Cleaning out my storage room and giving clothes I don't and never will wear again to Good Will, etc.

I am either lucky (or not, depending...) on that at my job there is a whole 'Eastern Europe' community of Bulgarians, Bosnians, Russians, Belarusans, and Romanians who can give me help with food stores and ESL courses.

I did the suggestion to take pics of 'normal' stuff a great idea. I've already got Walmart and Wendy's off my list

I'm doing the same, cleaning and throwing out junk. I have WiFi at home and have fired up the laptop with webcam and some of our Skype sessions have seen me carrying the laptop around the house and out in the yard giving live commentary. When she comes to our home, she will know where everything is, the pots and pans and dishes and towels, etc.

I too have taken pictures of and inside the food markets I go to, my bank, the gas station, Home Depot, Bed bath and Beyond, Kohls, the expressway.

Along with the documents for the interview I will soon be sending, I am also sending a bunch of sales flyers and thin catalogs that you get in the junk mail. She is concerned about how much things cost here (versus what she is used to paying in Moscow) and this way she can read for herself about what stuff costs.

So you might want to think about the same. I was going to redecorate what will become the little boy's room and she said not to so we can do that together. So I will just repaint some of the rooms (it is time to do that regardless) and I will let her redecorate the house. I have read where this is suggested so they have some connection and don't feel so foreign.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
I was going to redecorate what will become the little boy's room and she said not to so we can do that together. So I will just repaint some of the rooms (it is time to do that regardless) and I will let her redecorate the house. I have read where this is suggested so they have some connection and don't feel so foreign.

Baron no matter how you decorate, she will want to change it. Accept it and move on.

Timeline

I second this emotion. The RU consulate is really good about accomodating these kinds of requests, and there have been members who have re-scheduled their interview 2 and 3 times, probably more. Get that packet through USCIS, because you really don't want to get stuck in one of their multi-month delay periods that often turns a 6 month wait into a 8-10 month wait. Get through USCIS as quickly as you can, the rest will take care of itself.

It was due to not wanting to muck up the tourist visa app she got. We already thought it would be risky since she's a young, attractive, "single" girl coming over and that a K-1 app might make not help. Of course the stories are changing to the better about fiancees being able to come over on a tourist visa. Believe me, once she's here that damn packet is going in the mail. It's building up dust... 27 days and she's here.

11/13/2009 -- Mailed I-129F

11/17/2009 -- Received NOA 1

02/10/2010 -- NOA 2 Mailed

02/16/2010 -- NOA 2 Received (via email)

02/19/2010 -- Petition forwarded to Moscow

04/23/2010 -- Scheduled Interview - SUCCESS

07/20/2010 -- Entrance to USA POE Anchorage

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

01/25/2011 -- AOS Interview - SUCCESS

Member of the RUB group, where high horses meet low brows.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Feels good to get it finally done, huh?

Good job. Now, relax a little, read all you can here on the forum and don't hesitate to ask questions. We're here to help!

Got our NVC receipt of petition letter today including our Case number.

Here we gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...................................

Slim, I'm revising my interveiw date to Sep. 11. You gonna stay with the 15th?

And I have Barnaul and some of that excellent Portuguese and South African also. (We ARE talking NATO rounds right?)

If everything proceeds normally, your fiancee's interview should be two months after the date printed on the NVC's letter. In my fiancee's case it was two months and two days (due to the July 4th holidays).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Nicely put! I would add find a good source for cheap international calling minutes ld post, and check out some internet sites where she can see TV and movies in her native language. You will be glad you did - surprise her with them.intv

Nice phone rates to Russia (Moscow land line), but read the fine print. I use this instead: Phone Cards

I get charged 6 cents a minute to mobile phones. Almost two cents less than the company above.

Timeline

It was due to not wanting to muck up the tourist visa app she got. We already thought it would be risky since she's a young, attractive, "single" girl coming over and that a K-1 app might make not help. Of course the stories are changing to the better about fiancees being able to come over on a tourist visa. Believe me, once she's here that damn packet is going in the mail. It's building up dust... 27 days and she's here.

Thanks AK, I had forgot about the tourist visa; I agree, send it the day she arrives.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.