johnj

Tupolev 154 serving lunch

48 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I just booked my next trip to Russia (first week October) with connections to Anapa, Russia. The connection is a Tupolev 154, a little over a 2 hr. flight and they are serving lunch. Can you believe it. One, in good old USA, you don't get lunch anymore unless you pay for it (on most flights). Two, lunch on a Tupolev 154, that's a crop duster or a flying greyhound bus; how can we possibly eat lunch on that piece of ship

BTW, rates are pretty cheap for Sept./Oct. trips; only paid $598 for trip from Jacksonville to Moscow and $175 for Moscow to Anapa. My last trip was over $1500 combined, so I am pretty pleased.

Of course, the savings is mute because I will be paying for the wedding dress and other expenses. I am not complaining, she will be really beautiful in her wedding dress. I, of course, will still look like a ugly nerd in my Tux.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I just booked my next trip to Russia (first week October) with connections to Anapa, Russia. The connection is a Tupolev 154, a little over a 2 hr. flight and they are serving lunch. Can you believe it. One, in good old USA, you don't get lunch anymore unless you pay for it (on most flights). Two, lunch on a Tupolev 154, that's a crop duster or a flying greyhound bus; how can we possibly eat lunch on that piece of ship

BTW, rates are pretty cheap for Sept./Oct. trips; only paid $598 for trip from Jacksonville to Moscow and $175 for Moscow to Anapa. My last trip was over $1500 combined, so I am pretty pleased.

Of course, the savings is mute because I will be paying for the wedding dress and other expenses. I am not complaining, she will be really beautiful in her wedding dress. I, of course, will still look like a ugly nerd in my Tux.

Yes, it is always nice (and also a little sad) to get meals on short-haul domestic flights in Russia. Nice, because (at least for us), it's a bit unexpected. Sad, because it reminds you of what air travel used to be like in the States and how much flying anywhere in the US has become little different than "Going Greyhound."

I've had quite a few meals on TU-154's, so I can attest to the fact that it IS possible. :) I've flown countless numbers of flights in all classes of service on airlines all around the world, but BY FAR, the most incredible and memorable meal I've had on ANY flight was about 10 years ago on a URAL Airlines TU-154 (Same airline I mentioned in a recent thread... but a different flight). All of the stewardesses were middle aged "babushka" types and there was only one class of service on the plane. About an hour into the flight one of them came through with a cart and handed everyone a REAL, ACTUAL plate (none of which matched and looked like they'd just been pulled randomly from cupboards) and REAL, ACTUAL silverwear, and REAL, ACTUAL cloth napkins. Then the other one followed with a cart full of food that looked and tasted like these ladies had probably prepared it themselve in their kitchen before coming to work. It was SOOOOO good! It was the ONLY tme that've EVER begged for seconds of an airline meal! :wow:

So who knows? You may be in for a very unique and pleasant experience! Yeah, I know it's probably going to be "unique" all right! :yes: --- but I'm TRYING to keep positive thoughts for ya! :lol:

Great news, enjoy your trip.

Maybe you should wear the dress and she can wear the tux? Just a thought

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Timeline

Great news, enjoy your trip.

Maybe you should wear the dress and she can wear the tux? Just a thought

There ain't no way I can fit into that dress. And at that price, I do not want to take any chances that the "gold plating" falls off :devil:

Timeline

This will not be my first time in the TU154; did a couple other trips in this shipbox of a plane; had a couple meals also but it is usually dried bread with a piece of stinky fish on top, makes me wanta vomit :devil:

Edited by john and natalya

Timeline
154 is a nice plane. I love inter russian flights the service is great. The pilots are hardcore too, they love being on time!

Of course, I remember being in the airport once and a flight to Irkutst left 45 minutes early because of expected headwinds. I have been on plenty of flights that left late but never one that was super early. I remember sitting in the airport watch all the folks come to the counter and finding their plane gone! Of course, at SVO1 you need to do check-in two hours early just to get past security.

We got married at the courthouse (for free) and wore clothes from home. Didn't cost us an extra dime.

and REAL, ACTUAL silverwear,

You mean you had real butter knives and nobody tried to hijack the plane? OMG! FAA should take note!

Of course, at SVO1 you need to do check-in two hours early just to get past security.

When I flew out of there they didn't check squat at the check in or "metal detector" (which was a guy sitting in a chair next to the broken metal detector with his battery powered wand sitting on the table just smoking a cigarette and waving everyone through not checking a thing either).

They did go through bags prior to boarding the plane but when the guy in front of me, who was obviously doing a little camping, pulled out his Rambo knife (mind you, we were standing at the gate about to board the plane) they merely said, "nyet" and put it off to the side. They had a brief argument and the guy ended up letting them keep his knife so he could get on the plane. It wa actually kind of comical because any airport here in the U.S. that dude would've been on the national news but at SVO1 it was just another guy with his Rambo knife in his backpack. No big deal.

The liked my Cheburashka though and actually sqeezed his belly, played the song and danced around a bit. Pretty funny to see several airline security folks confiscate a Rambo knife and then 10 seconds later dance around with Cheburashka all smiling and happy.

Its' Russia. You can't make this stuff up!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Are they still manufacturing parts for the TU154 or do you suppose they just scavenge parts off of retired planes and hand make whatever else they need? After being in a few it just makes me wonder. I think you know what I mean.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Timeline
Are they still manufacturing parts for the TU154 or do you suppose they just scavenge parts off of retired planes and hand make whatever else they need? After being in a few it just makes me wonder. I think you know what I mean.

Oh yes, Tupolev still makes parts for the TU154. There are currently about 250 TU154s registered for commercial service throughout the world and most of those are expected to remain in service until at least 2016. Some of those that have been taken out of commercial service are being refitted into VIP planes.

Check out http://www.aircraftbargains.com and you'll find a few TU154's for sale, including one recently completed VIP overhaul that they're asking $11 million for. There is also a TU154 for sale there that they claim was the Czech President''s plane for a time. There's also a couple of converted TU134's for sale as well.

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline
The liked my Cheburashka though and actually sqeezed his belly, played the song and danced around a bit. Pretty funny to see several airline security folks confiscate a Rambo knife and then 10 seconds later dance around with Cheburashka all smiling and happy.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

За Жезни С Смехом

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Check out http://www.aircraftbargains.com and you'll find a few TU154's for sale, including one recently completed VIP overhaul that they're asking $11 million for.

That one said, "Make offer!" I would, but I don't think the trade-in value on my Jeep would cover it.

I think I'd have to buy the Mi-24 just for something to play around with.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline

The power of Chebruashka, will not be denied!!! It is Russia, you can't make this stuff up!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.