Sign in to follow this  
thaijanet

cannot obtain a copy of my certificate of citizenship document

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

In 1975, my mother received her certificate of naturalization when she applied for mine and my younger sisters certificate of citizenship. I have had my certificate of citizenship for over 30years until I lost my copy in mid 2005.

For over three years I have been trying to obtain a copy of my certificate of citizenship through USCIS Louisville office. When I initially filed my N-565 request form, on April 3,2006 I received a handwritten receipt with my alien registration number written on it along with the amount paid in the sum of $220.00 dollars, by the clerk at the USCIS office in Louisville.

After over 3 months with no answer I felt compelled to hire an attorney because I had not received any response from USCIS. My attorney worked diligently from July 13,2006 to April 21,2008. He had sent numerous correspondences to USCIS office and more specifically USCIS district director, who would respond by asking for more information irrelevant to finding my documentation. Such as requesting my alien registration number again, copy of birth certificate, name changes from birth to present, divorce decrees etc…Which was already submitted to his office or was explained to be unobtainable. My attorney felt that he could be of no more help with my case and referred me to an immigration attorney.

When pulling up my name on USCIS database with my alien registration number and requesting my physical file, the USCIS found out that someone else was in my file under my alien registration number, who received his naturalization certificate in 1977, two years after I received my certificate of citizenship in 1975. After discovering the error, the USCIS pulled my mother and sister's physical file as well and they were found to have the same error. The USCIS have since fixed my younger sister's file but have not fixed mine or my mothers file. I would like to add that my mother never lost her documents so she never had a reason to contact the USCIS and the only way I found out that there was a problem with finding my file is because I lost my copy of my certificate of citizenship document.

I have consulted an immigration attorney and was told by her that I should be able to obtain a copy of my documentation without the use of an attorney however I am finding this to be a lesson in futility.

To date I have contacted my congressman, my senator, USCIS Ombudsman's office, Department of Homeland Security's Inspector Generals office, filed a freedom of information act request with the USCIS office. I believe that either this is such an embarrassment to USCIS that they want to avoid confronting my problem and fixing it, or there has been some wrongdoing done by someone that they are covering for and continually try to have me jump through hoops to delay me.

I have been informed by the representatives of the congressman and the senator's office that after speaking to an officer at the USCIS office, that my best course of action is to file an N-600 form and pay an additional $460.00. I feel that this is unacceptable and the USCIS should be made to locate my file. I would greatly appreciate your help in this matter and thank you in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I really hate it when I tell someone I have a problem and they respond by giving me an example of of someone that has it worse, like that is suppose to make me feel better. But I am going to do the same thing to you.

We needed key documents from Venezuela that either had government typos or were lost, the fees weren't really that bad, but a hell of a lot more than here. The big thing was through their court system where these papers had to be approved, and with normal channels, could take years. The only way around this was to pay bribes from anywhere to a $1,000 to $2,000, and they love fresh US dollar bills under the table. Entire government in Venezuela is corrupt and this was our only alternative.

You did just about everything you could do, and sure you also have a huge attorney bill to pay, if $460.00 will solve your problems, would just pay it. My wife's certificate with many colored copies given to key relatives is locked up in a fireproof safe. As you have learned, we also have corruption here, but not as bad as other countries.

And since I like to tell the way things are, you really won't get much help from your congressman or senator unless you give a sizable contribution to their campaign fund, but not the billions that Wall Street gives them. Lot's of talk about election reform, but just talk we only hear about every two, four, six years. This is a crime, but what is one to do to get anything done. Even perfectly legal things.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Thaijanet,

Sorry to hear about your situation of losing your citizenship certificate (how does one lose one of those?) and then having trouble getting a replacement for it. I do hope that your situation gets resolved soon, and that you will eventually get your replacement certificate from the USCIS.

Sigh, yet another reason to keep the citizenship certificate in a safe place.....

As for your situation, if I were you, I would do the following:

-Contact the USCIS, senator, congressman, and ombudsman, and whoever else you can think of again....

-Be your own lawyer and collect as much paperwork as you can about your case

-Include the following paperwork:

-proof that you paid the $200.00 replacement fee (I don't think you should have to pay again, since you paid already)

-proof of the USCIS' mistake about your physical file (if such proof exists)

-proof of the replacement certificate for your sister's file and work on your mother's file

-proof of any correspondence that you and your family has had over the years with the USCIS

-proof of any correspondence that you've had with senators, congressmen, ombudsmen, lawyers, etc.

-proof that USCIS requires for such a replacement (a#, passports, birth certificate, name changes, divorce decrees, etc.)

-proof of anything else you can think of that can help your case

-Send the paperwork to the USCIS and other government officials, demand for answers, and ask again for a replacement certificate....

You deserve better than this! I agree, it is unacceptable for the USCIS to not give you a replacement certificate since you requested and paid for such.

Hope this helps. Good luck on the rest of your replacement certificate journey too.

Ant

In 1975, my mother received her certificate of naturalization when she applied for mine and my younger sisters certificate of citizenship. I have had my certificate of citizenship for over 30years until I lost my copy in mid 2005.

For over three years I have been trying to obtain a copy of my certificate of citizenship through USCIS Louisville office. When I initially filed my N-565 request form, on April 3,2006 I received a handwritten receipt with my alien registration number written on it along with the amount paid in the sum of $220.00 dollars, by the clerk at the USCIS office in Louisville.

After over 3 months with no answer I felt compelled to hire an attorney because I had not received any response from USCIS. My attorney worked diligently from July 13,2006 to April 21,2008. He had sent numerous correspondences to USCIS office and more specifically USCIS district director, who would respond by asking for more information irrelevant to finding my documentation. Such as requesting my alien registration number again, copy of birth certificate, name changes from birth to present, divorce decrees etc…Which was already submitted to his office or was explained to be unobtainable. My attorney felt that he could be of no more help with my case and referred me to an immigration attorney.

When pulling up my name on USCIS database with my alien registration number and requesting my physical file, the USCIS found out that someone else was in my file under my alien registration number, who received his naturalization certificate in 1977, two years after I received my certificate of citizenship in 1975. After discovering the error, the USCIS pulled my mother and sister's physical file as well and they were found to have the same error. The USCIS have since fixed my younger sister's file but have not fixed mine or my mothers file. I would like to add that my mother never lost her documents so she never had a reason to contact the USCIS and the only way I found out that there was a problem with finding my file is because I lost my copy of my certificate of citizenship document.

I have consulted an immigration attorney and was told by her that I should be able to obtain a copy of my documentation without the use of an attorney however I am finding this to be a lesson in futility.

To date I have contacted my congressman, my senator, USCIS Ombudsman's office, Department of Homeland Security's Inspector Generals office, filed a freedom of information act request with the USCIS office. I believe that either this is such an embarrassment to USCIS that they want to avoid confronting my problem and fixing it, or there has been some wrongdoing done by someone that they are covering for and continually try to have me jump through hoops to delay me.

I have been informed by the representatives of the congressman and the senator's office that after speaking to an officer at the USCIS office, that my best course of action is to file an N-600 form and pay an additional $460.00. I feel that this is unacceptable and the USCIS should be made to locate my file. I would greatly appreciate your help in this matter and thank you in advance.

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Dear AntandD,

Thank you for your reply, I have done all those things you mentioned and I'm at my wits end. I am looking for any help from anyone who has experienced the hassles and run around from USCIS. How does one make USCIS do their job? What agency governs over USCIS? I am not planning to travel anywhere in order to get a replacement of my copy certificate of citizenship, I need it in case I have to file for medical retirement from my company, which I've worked for 17 years. Hopefully, I can get some answers on this website. Thank you again for your reply and good luck to you>

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

USCIS reports to a senate committee for both budgets and ethics of which our Sen. Feingold, WI is a member of, that helps. I don't even know how these senators can do their job with over 1,500 agencies to look over, it's crazy. Where you really run into a problem is when you have problems with an agency they never even heard of.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As a last resort you could also go 'public' with your problem. While it isn't always a good idea to get the press involved, sometimes when all else fails it will shake loose some concern about your problem and you will get some action. Is there a 'problem resolution' section in your local paper or TV station? If not, perhaps one of the National ones might be useful. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

As a last resort you could also go 'public' with your problem. While it isn't always a good idea to get the press involved, sometimes when all else fails it will shake loose some concern about your problem and you will get some action. Is there a 'problem resolution' section in your local paper or TV station? If not, perhaps one of the National ones might be useful. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply, but I have contacted a reporter with the New York times, a reporter with MSNBC, local paper, local news stations etc... with no response. Apparently they don't want to deal with USCIS. With my experience I can see why. USCIS in my opinion is about the most inept, unrepentent governmental agency there is.

After writing a letter to Janet Napolitano's office I finally received a letter from USCIS acknowledging that there was a field service error and that my alien registration number was mistakenly given to someone else. I have been advised by USCIS to file an N-600 and they will waive the fees. Yet no explanation has been given as to what happened to my physical file, how my sister's file was corrected or whether or not they will fix my mother's file even though I have produced a copy of her naturalization certificate.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
After writing a letter to Janet Napolitano's office I finally received a letter from USCIS acknowledging that there was a field service error and that my alien registration number was mistakenly given to someone else. I have been advised by USCIS to file an N-600 and they will waive the fees. Yet no explanation has been given as to what happened to my physical file, how my sister's file was corrected or whether or not they will fix my mother's file even though I have produced a copy of her naturalization certificate.

Thankfully it has been sorted out and you don't have to pay but I can imagine what an aggravation it has been. I had the opposite problem. Someone's Alien number was accidently given to me by Homeland Security and this person was a felon! This all came to light at my K-1 interview at the Consulate in Montreal and of course, I was denied. The US Consul got involved and made many phone calls to Homeland Security on my behalf over a three day period while I cooled my jets in a hotel. Finally I was offered a solution whereby I had to get married (basically on the spot) and pay for a CR-1 visa as if I was starting from scratch. I was never reimbursed the many hundreds of dollars I paid for the K-1 process.

Jo-Anne

I went to USCIS and submitted my N-600 and supporting documentation such as my mothers naturalization certificate, my sisters certificate of citizenship, documentation from SS office stating that I am a US citizen etc.... Now they are saying I have to show my mothers divorce decree from thailand showing she was my legal guardian. I think they are screwing with me now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I went to USCIS and submitted my N-600 and supporting documentation such as my mothers naturalization certificate, my sisters certificate of citizenship, documentation from SS office stating that I am a US citizen etc.... Now they are saying I have to show my mothers divorce decree from thailand showing she was my legal guardian. I think they are screwing with me now.

Just stumbled upon this and was wondering if you ever got this all straightened out?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Just stumbled upon this and was wondering if you ever got this all straightened out?

If you had check Thaijanet's profile, you would have seen that she has not been on this website since 2009.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/69651-thaijanet/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.