I AM NOT THAT GUY

Mysterious tremors detected on San Andreas Fault

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Mysterious tremors detected on San Andreas Fault

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Scientists have detected a spike in underground rumblings on a section of California's San Andreas Fault that produced a magnitude-7.8 earthquake in 1857.

What these mysterious vibrations say about future earthquakes is far from certain. But some think the deep tremors suggest underground stress may be building up faster than expected and may indicate an increased risk of a major temblor.

Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, monitored seismic activity on the fault's central section between July 2001 and February 2009 and recorded more than 2,000 tremors. The tremors lasted mere minutes to nearly half an hour.

Unlike earthquakes, tremors occur deeper below the surface and the shaking lasts longer.

During the study period, two strong earthquakes hit—a magnitude-6.5 in 2003 and a magnitude-6.0 a year later. Scientists noticed the frequency of the tremors doubled after the 2003 quake and jumped six-fold after 2004.

Tremor episodes persist today. Though the frequency of tremors have declined since 2004, scientists are still concerned because they are still at a level that is twice as high as before the 2003 quake.

The team also recorded unusually strong rumblings days before the 2004 temblor.

Results of the research appear in Friday's issue of the journal Science. The work was funded by the U.S. Geological Survey and National Science Foundation.

"The fact that the tremors haven't gone down means the time to the next earthquake may come sooner," said Berkeley seismologist and lead researcher Robert Nadeau.

Nadeau first discovered tremors deep in the San Andreas Fault in 2005. Before that, the phenomenon was thought only to occur in Earth's subduction zones, where one tectonic plate dives beneath another.

USGS seismologist Susan Hough found the latest observations intriguing, but said it's too soon to know what they mean.

"We don't have enough data to know what the fault is doing in the long term," said Hough, who had no part in the research.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9...;show_article=1

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Scientists have detected a spike in underground rumblings on a section of California's San Andreas Fault

They don't mention which section. The fault traverses most of the state, from SoCal through the Bay area and further north.

It would be interesting to know which section they are referring to.

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Scientists have detected a spike in underground rumblings on a section of California's San Andreas Fault

They don't mention which section. The fault traverses most of the state, from SoCal through the Bay area and further north.

Click the link for 1857. That would be the Fort Tejon earthquake. Most of those measurements are taken at Parkfield.

Edited by Mister_Bill

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i bet it's caused by ground tremors with an epicenter of scandal's house...... :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

i bet it's caused by ground tremors with an epicenter of scandal's house...... :whistle:

:devil: If you suddenly hear about major seismic activity in northeastern Illinois, you'll know why!

I was living in the Bay area when there was a moderate earthquake. I think it was this one.

There was another one near Santa Cruz that we also felt. That was enough California rock&roll for me.

:devil: If you suddenly hear about major seismic activity in northeastern Illinois, you'll know why!

I was living in the Bay area when there was a moderate earthquake. I think it was this one.

There was another one near Santa Cruz that we also felt. That was enough California rock&roll for me.

That was a little baby one. Loma Prieta was the fun one. I got to build a ferry terminal in Alameda while they fixed the Bay Bridge.

Timeline

That was a little baby one. Loma Prieta was the fun one. I got to build a ferry terminal in Alameda while they fixed the Bay Bridge.

I was not there for Loma Prieta. I was there about 6 months later, when much of the Marina district was still pretty shell shocked, plenty of orange tape around the houses. And sections of the 580 in the East Bay were still closed and pancaked. I can't say I'm sorry I missed being there for the "event".