potatoboss

Filing I-864 in Tokyo as a future student

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My husband is going for his visa interview in Tokyo next week, but I am still unsure how I should fill out my I-864. I have a joint sponsor and co-sponsor, so it doesn't really matter whether I can pass the poverty threshold or not, but I really don't know what to put for "current individual income" (q. 23)!

My situation -- I just left my job of over 2 years in June, and I will be going to school this fall. So right now I have no income, but I am getting a scholarship from my school. For Q. 23, do I write...

a) Zero, since I have no job

B) Total income since January 2009

c) The amount of my scholarship for 2009

d) b+c

e) Income reported on 2008 1040

e) None of the above -- what else?

Thanks for your help!

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

I would put a note to see addendum. Then add a typed letter explaining the situation that you just quit and are awaiting a scholarship. I think in the case of USCIS, more information is always better. My I-130 so far is as thick as a textbook and I'm not quite finished gathering supplemental info. and having it translated. :P

Edited by DieNörglerin

Timeline
I would put a note to see addendum. Then add a typed letter explaining the situation that you just quit and are awaiting a scholarship. I think in the case of USCIS, more information is always better. My I-130 so far is as thick as a textbook and I'm not quite finished gathering supplemental info. and having it translated. :P

Thanks for the suggestion! I will go ahead and try that. Unfortunately that means more translating for me :P

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

This is your expected current year income. Earned income plus scholarship. The attached addendum is a good idea.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline
Thanks for the suggestion! I will go ahead and try that. Unfortunately that means more translating for me :P

:lol:

It would be ok for you to just write and translate a note like that into English. Just keep in mind that you shouldn't translate official documents yourself even if you can. For things like marriage certificates you need to take it to a certified translator to do and they should stamp it or provide some proof that they are qualified to translate. I'm sure you probably did that anyway. Just wanted to make sure. We've spent so much money on translating documents from Farsi into Turkish and then into English and then paying more to have certain things notarized on top of it all.

I would put zero. You have a co-sponsor so you fulfill the I-864 requirements without any issues

ps- when we filed DCF in Australia my husband (USC) had quit his job in May and was returning to grad school in September. We submitted our I-864 in July and put $0 for Question #23

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline

First of all, thank you everyone for all the advice! I just wanted to follow-up...

I decided to go with b+c, the income I earned plus my scholarship, and even included all the supplementary info, but they didn't even check it. They just wanted the I-864, 2008 tax return and copy of my passport. I guess they are flexible with what to put there since it is a vague question.

And the result? My husband received his visa today!

Edited by potatoboss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.