totolin

Question about affidavit of support I-134

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am applying for my fiancee in china to come to US. Since I a graduate student, my stipend is around 20k/year, so I asked my step father for help as a co-sponsor. Here are some question I hope someone can help me.

1. I read in many places that I-134 are not legally binding. However, in the official uscis i-134 instruction, under SPONSOR AND ALIEN LIABILITY, it clearly stated that if the person you sponsor become publicly charged, the agency can sue you for the cost of assistance. Doesn't this means legally binding?

2. In my co-sponsor's form, under The affidavit is executed on the behalf on the following person - relationship to sponsor, what should we fill out? "fiancee of the sponsor's son" or "Friend"? or something else?

3. My co-sponsor have around 40~50k income per year. so far we prepared the I-134 form, a statement from the employer, and income tax return for the past two years. Is there anything else that is required?

Thank you for your time and help!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I am applying for my fiancee in china to come to US. Since I a graduate student, my stipend is around 20k/year, so I asked my step father for help as a co-sponsor. Here are some question I hope someone can help me.

1. I read in many places that I-134 are not legally binding. However, in the official uscis i-134 instruction, under SPONSOR AND ALIEN LIABILITY, it clearly stated that if the person you sponsor become publicly charged, the agency can sue you for the cost of assistance. Doesn't this means legally binding?

Courts in the past have found the I-134 to be unenforceable, which is why people say it's not legally binding. However, they HAVE held the sponsor liable under the terms of the I-864, which you'll be filing with the AOS application (after you and your fiancee are married).

This does NOT mean you can lie on the I-134 and get away with it! I'm just sayin... :blush:

2. In my co-sponsor's form, under The affidavit is executed on the behalf on the following person - relationship to sponsor, what should we fill out? "fiancee of the sponsor's son" or "Friend"? or something else?

Your fiancee is not related to your father in any way, so I would think the correct answer is "none".

3. My co-sponsor have around 40~50k income per year. so far we prepared the I-134 form, a statement from the employer, and income tax return for the past two years. Is there anything else that is required?

The consulate in Guangzhou only specifically asks for the I-134 and a copy of the most recent year's tax return. I think you have it covered. Your father's income should be more than adequate, unless he's got a lot of dependents.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

1. The I-134 is NOT legally binding, but don't worry, the government is going to make you submit a new I-864 Affidavit of support with the AOS filing and THAT one IS legally binding.

2. Friend will be fine

3. That should be good enough. He could add recent check stubs also.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving thread

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

You are almost there and now you have to deal with the embassy. This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.