chrisc85

quick engagement?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey,

I was worried that our situation might be considered a "quick engagment" and was wondering if it might cause any problems for us...

Some of you might already know my story... I met my fiancee in Morocco while I was studying abroad last fall, we first met in October and we got engaged a couple weeks right before I left in mid December right before Christmas... so it was about 2 months of knowing each other before i proposed to her. we technically kind of had to get engaged quickly because in their culture parents shouldnt know of casual relationships, only when he proposes and it is serious enough for marriage. and of course there is no way her parents would have accepted if they hadnt met me first before my leaving. we both graduated college just this past semester and now im starting a full-time job. so obviously i havent been able to save the money to go back there again for another visit. its hard saving money for that especially in my situation.

might that be a problem though? im gonna front-load the petition a lot and im writing a little extra for the "how we met" question. what does everyone think?

Edited by chrisc85

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

I don't think it'll be a problem. I have pretty much the same situation. I met my fiance the same way last August and also left right before Christmas and also just graduated and got a job, etc. As long as you include lots of proof of your relationship (photos, copies of your student visa, etc.), I think you should be all right. Even though it's not a requirement, I also included tons of evidence of an ongoing relationship (e-mails, letters, phone records) to show that just because we can't afford another visit, that we are continuing to communicate, etc. Good luck!

event.png

Timeline

thanks. yeah we never got student visas because meknes police were too lazy and they never got put through!! lol. but i have a certificate of completion and transcripts and a letter from the study abroad director along with entry/exit passport stamps so i think itll be ok anyway in that respect.

Edited by chrisc85

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
any other opinions?
What you said here is very sensible: "im gonna front-load the petition a lot and im writing a little extra for the 'how we met' question." Front-load the dickens out of it, and write a LOT extra for "how you met." Also, before filing, consult the experienced members on here who have gone through Casa, and especially those who were inflicted with the blonde CO. Be sure to budget money down the road for future trips while you're awaiting the interview, and to be on the consular premises when it's time for the interview there.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

this is what im writing for 'how we met', it fits on one page:

I was to study abroad in Spain from July 15th to August 15th directly through my school William Paterson University in the US, travel freely for 2 weeks, and spend the 2008 fall semester studying at Moulay Ismail University in Meknes, Morocco before returning home via Spain on December 21st 2008. After arriving in Meknes in September with the ISA group, it wasn’t long before I met my now-fiancée N****** A****, a local English student at the university. We first met very briefly at the Rif Hotel while she was bringing other exchange students back to their hotel after visiting the hammam, and then again at ISA director I*** E*******’s surprise birthday party in mid-October. I was very attracted to her, but at first she was nervous because she feared getting taken advantage of. With a little time however, we began seeing each other very often inside the university and out. I would visit her at work during her cooking classes, and she would always take the time to help me and keep me motivated with my struggling Arabic. It only got better every day we were with each other, and we were really happy.

After some time, my trip began to near its end, and I realized I was in love with her and didn’t want to leave. I told her this, and she responded to me very positively, telling me that she felt she was in love with me also. Riding in a taxi one day, I took a chance and proposed to her. She was shocked, but happily accepted. We knew that before leaving Morocco, I should respectfully introduce myself to her parents to make my intentions known. I arrived at her house with cake, sugar and flowers in hand, things went well, and we became officially engaged. A few weeks later, I departed for the US, and we continued to stay in touch by talking via internet and/or telephone everyday without fail. After waiting for us both to graduate college this past semester (Spring 2009) and for myself to acquire a full-time job, I quickly began to save money and gather the materials necessary to petition for the K-1 visa. I am looking forward very much to seeing and being with Nisrine again, and can’t wait for us to be able to spend the rest of our lives together. Please expedite this petition as quickly as possible. Thank you.

how is that?

Edited by chrisc85

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
we began seeing each other very often inside the university and out. I would visit her at work during her cooking classes, and she would always take the time to help me and keep me motivated with my struggling Arabic.
I would expand upon the "very often" in detail -- how many hours per day (an aggregate total if it sounds impressive), and the depth and nature of your conversations -- discussion of life, goals, etc. It also might be a good idea (IF it is true!) to add a line that N. had no compulsion to leave her country and in fact had not considered the idea, but that she would be willing to follow the man she loves to wherever he lives.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
we began seeing each other very often inside the university and out. I would visit her at work during her cooking classes, and she would always take the time to help me and keep me motivated with my struggling Arabic.
I would expand upon the "very often" in detail -- how many hours per day (an aggregate total if it sounds impressive), and the depth and nature of your conversations -- discussion of life, goals, etc. It also might be a good idea (IF it is true!) to add a line that N. had no compulsion to leave her country and in fact had not considered the idea, but that she would be willing to follow the man she loves to wherever he lives.

yes its true. she said exactly that actually. she said that the only reason she was comfortable with going to the US was because she would have me :)

yay :D

i fixed it like you said, added that stuff in, heres the new one:

To Whom It May Concern:

I was to study abroad in Spain from July 15th to August 15th directly through my school William Paterson University in the US, travel freely for 2 weeks, and spend the 2008 fall semester studying at Moulay Ismail University in Meknes, Morocco before returning home via Spain on December 21st 2008. After arriving in Meknes in September with the ISA group, it wasn’t long before I met my now-fiancée Nisrine A****, a local English student at the university. We first met very briefly at the Rif Hotel while she was bringing other exchange students back to their hotel after visiting the hammam, and then again at ISA director I*** E*******’s surprise birthday party in mid-October. I was very attracted to her, but at first she was nervous because she feared getting taken advantage of. With a little time however, we began seeing each other almost daily (at times all day) inside the university and out. I would visit her at work during her cooking classes, and she would always take the time to help me and keep me motivated with my struggling Arabic. We always talked of traveling the world together (Thailand, India, Peru), and found we had very similar interests and values. We found that we both wanted jobs helping people, such as teaching or social work, and considered maybe even starting our own cooking school one day. It only got better every day we were with each other, and we were really happy.

After some time, my trip began to near its end, and I realized I was in love with her and didn’t want to leave. I told her this, and she responded to me very positively, telling me that she felt she was in love with me also. Riding in a taxi one day, I took a chance and proposed to her. She was shocked, but happily accepted. She initially had no compulsion to leave her country, friends or family for the US, but told me she was OK with it because she would have me, and that she is willing to follow the man she loves to wherever he lives. This was amazing; I knew she was the one. We also knew that before my leaving Morocco, I should respectfully introduce myself to her parents to make my intentions known. I arrived at her house with cake, sugar and flowers in hand, things went well, and we became officially engaged. A few weeks later, I departed for the US, and we continued to stay in touch by talking via internet and/or telephone everyday without fail. After waiting for us both to graduate college this past semester (Spring 2009) and for myself to acquire a full-time job, I quickly began to save money and gather the materials necessary to petition for the K-1 visa. I wish I was able to visit her more often, but due to school, money restraints and job responsibilities, it has been tough. I am looking forward very much to seeing and being with Nisrine again, and can’t wait for us to be able to spend the rest of our lives together. Please expedite this petition as quickly as possible. Thank you.

Sincerely,

my name

better?

Edited by chrisc85

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hey,

I was worried that our situation might be considered a "quick engagment" and was wondering if it might cause any problems for us...

Some of you might already know my story... I met my fiancee in Morocco while I was studying abroad last fall, we first met in October and we got engaged a couple weeks right before I left in mid December right before Christmas... so it was about 2 months of knowing each other before i proposed to her. we technically kind of had to get engaged quickly because in their culture parents shouldnt know of casual relationships, only when he proposes and it is serious enough for marriage. and of course there is no way her parents would have accepted if they hadnt met me first before my leaving. we both graduated college just this past semester and now im starting a full-time job. so obviously i havent been able to save the money to go back there again for another visit. its hard saving money for that especially in my situation.

might that be a problem though? im gonna front-load the petition a lot and im writing a little extra for the "how we met" question. what does everyone think?

That's not so unusual for Morocco. Our relationship also moved along very quickly, and we were in different countries except for visits. We were married about 8 months after our very first email. We've been married almost 2-1/2 years now.

I really do urge you to look through the MENA forum. You'll hear about many couples with short courtships, and even couples who married on the first visit. That will ease your mind. You'll also get an idea about the difficulties that you could possibly face, going through Casa. The most important thing you'll get, though, is information about things to do, things to avoid, and ways to make it go as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Best of luck!

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hey,

The short engagement may not be all that much of a problem. The money situation may present to be a problem. The USCIS will want to see that you can afford to care for your fiancee. The petitioner is responsible financially for the fiancee. Just coming out of school you must be broke. You may need someone to co-sign so you can reach the minimum financial requirement. Hey, give it try, it is a journey. God bless the two on your visa journey.

4-17-2009 sent K1 Petition

5-1-2009 USCIS received petition

5-4-2009 received NOA1 notice

7-17-2009 touched

7-20-2009 NOA2 received

8-3-2009 NVC received petition

8-4-2009 NVC sent petition to Manila

9-22-2009 Medical Exam (scar on lungs) will have sputum test done

9-28-2009 K1 visa interview (canceled)

12-02-2009 call the SLMEC for sputum test report out

12-07-2009 Medical passed

12-08-2009 CFO

December 16, 2009 visa Pink Slip

December 20, 2009 entered USA

With God's blessing

Dale and Pat

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

You should be fine, because it doesn't appear to be a big age gap. But you will need to have photo's of the engagement party for the consulate in Casablanca. Letters of support from her parents will go a long way as well. DaleandPat is correct about the consulate questioning you about who will support you. Tipically the consulate in Casablanca doesn't ask for the I134 with a fiance petition but since you are just graduating they may ask you to produce one. INSHALLAH all will go well for you.

إله الخير المغرب بلد جميل! Hasbunallah wa ni'am al-wakil Tawkkalna Alay Allah

Timeline

well, we never had an official engagement party because we never had the time to prepare one, i had to leave too soon. we got engaged only a couple of weeks before i left. we do have a lot of pictures together though. but will that be a problem? we thought that we could just say that we were planning to have the engagement party when we returned back to morocco together after some time. also because we wanted my parents and grandparents to be at the engagement party as well (obviously they werent studying abroad with me hahah)

well, im not too broke, i have a little money saved, but more importantly i do have a full-time job making over the minimum amount, along with a part-time one as well for extra cash. so maybe itll be ok? i would think so right?

chris

Edited by chrisc85

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.