Ashley and Cuong

K1 visa- please help me

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi my name is ashley and my fiance is from vietnam.

I am a us citizen

I have met him within the past 2 years

and we both are legally able to get married

the only problem is money...I am on state aid due to just having a baby (my fiance and my baby) and i dont have anything here. For the past 3 years i lived over in vietnam. I came back to have my baby. I was wondering if a co sponsor works and how does it work? also does a fee waiver work for a I-129F form? and can anyone tell me what i have to do for the fee waiver?

I really appreciate any advice

love,

ash

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

I used a co-sponsor because the year before we filed I was a volunteer with no income. it worked fine. It is not necessary until the k-1 interview. and in the time you are waiting, it is helpful if you are able to get employment and show them that you are capable of supporting yourself. I took several months of paystubs, bank account info, and letter from employer.

as far as fee waiver, I'm not sure. I dont think there is such a thing? maybe i'm wrong, but USCIS doesn't seem to be THAT helpful especially when it comes to giving discounts...

Our Wedding Pics

There is always some madness in love.

But there is also always some reason in madness.

Nietzsche

12.Jan.2007..... Met in Ciudad Sandino, Nicaragua.

07.May.2007.... Started dating.

02.Sep.2007..... Engaged!

K-1

06.Aug.2008..... K-1 app sent to California Service Center.

11.Aug.2008..... NOA1 recieved.

07.Jan.2009...... NOA2

13.Feb.2009.......Interview passed!!!

20.Feb.2009.......Received visa.

21.Feb.2009.......POE, Houston

AOS

12.May.2009......Filed AOS.

21.May.2009......NOA1

04.Jun.2009.......Biometrics

18.Jun.2009.......EAD card production ordered

26.Jun.2009.......EAD card received

06.Aug.2009......AOS interview (st. louis) Card production ordered

06.Sep.2009......Wedding Ceremony and Celebration

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

no waivers possible, the fee is to pay for the agents to work on your I-129F. you can get a co-sponsor that is not a problem. if you applied now, you will probably have an interview 6-8 months down the line, so see if you can find a job, because financial information is not needed until the interview.

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

If you are planning to apply for K-1, be advised that co-sponsors are generally not accepted at HCM consulate for that kind of visa. You will need to find employment that allows you to have income above the poverty level for a household of 3. As mentioned before, you will not need this evidence of income until his interview, which will be 6-8 months after filing (ours took 9 months to get to interview).

I am unaware of any fee waiver for the filing. Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Hi my name is ashley and my fiance is from vietnam.

I am a us citizen

I have met him within the past 2 years

and we both are legally able to get married

the only problem is money...I am on state aid due to just having a baby (my fiance and my baby) and i dont have anything here. For the past 3 years i lived over in vietnam. I came back to have my baby. I was wondering if a co sponsor works and how does it work? also does a fee waiver work for a I-129F form? and can anyone tell me what i have to do for the fee waiver?

I really appreciate any advice

love,

ash

The US consulate in Ho Chi Minh City rarely accepts co-sponsors. You will almost certainly be denied if you send an I-134 for a co-sponsor. Sorry, but that's just the way it is at HCM. Spend some time in the South Asia and Pacific forum here.

Fee waivers are never granted for fiance(e) or spousal visas. Part of the process (as you already know) is to demonstrate you are capable of supporting the foreigner whom you are sponsoring. If you can't even pay the fees associated with the forms, there's no way you could afford to sponsor the beneficiary. Fee waivers are generally only granted for processes that don't have minimum income requirements.

Your best chance of success with USCIS and the consulate in HCM is to get a job above the poverty threshold for 3 people (yourself, your fiance, and your baby). For 2009 this is $22,887 per year.

Good luck!

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have the money for the fee, The only problem is work. I cant belive HCM doesnt allow co-sponsors, what am i going to do? should i try anyways or should i just move to vietnam and marry my fiance there? What about if my fiance has money in a bank? Does that change anything? please help me, im heart broken now..i dont know what to do..I love my fiance but i want my baby to be able to live in america.

Timeline
I have the money for the fee, The only problem is work. I cant belive HCM doesnt allow co-sponsors, what am i going to do? should i try anyways or should i just move to vietnam and marry my fiance there? What about if my fiance has money in a bank? Does that change anything? please help me, im heart broken now..i dont know what to do..I love my fiance but i want my baby to be able to live in america.

There are no provisions that I'm aware of that would allow assets or income of the foreign beneficiary to be considered with the I-134. There are provisions for income of the beneficiary to be considered with the I-864, but that's only if the income will continue after the beneficiary arrives in the US, and you won't be filing that form until he gets here and you are married. Even if he turned those assets over to you, they only offset income at a 1:3 ratio, which means you'd need over $68,600 in the bank for a household size of 3 if you had no other income.

The consulate in HCM doesn't officially disallow a co-sponsor. It's just known that they very rarely approve a visa when a co-sponsor is involved. You can try, but it's almost certain your fiance's visa will not be approved, and you'll lose the money and time you've invested. The fact that you are currently on public assistance virtually guarantees this.

I'm sorry there isn't any better news for you, but you have to realize you're dealing with one of the toughest consulates in the world. Your best, and possibly only realistic chance of getting your fiance a visa is to get a job with an annual income over $22,887.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you marry and then apply for the CR1 (or if you can return, marry and still claim residency and file for DCF) then you will be using the I-864 affidavit of support and that allows for co/joint sponsors. It will also save you some money in fees (around 1K).

K visa petitioners at HCMC do not have much success with co sponsorship.

Regarding your fiance's savings, that amount would need to be in excess of 3 times the required income amount (3 X $22,887).

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline
So if i marry him in vietnam then it would be easier?

This whole thing is really confusing..Or what if i get a job over there?

Marrying in Vietnam is actually a bit more difficult, but at least you should be able to use a co-sponsor. Because the CR1 is an immigrant visa, you'd be submitting the I-864 instead of the I-134 affidavit of support, and applying for resident status when you submit the petition, so you should be able to use a co-sponsor.

Getting a job in Vietnam won't help you in terms of being able to sponsor. In order for them to consider the income you have to expect that the income will continue after you arrive in the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.