ThePirateStar

Clarifications of Strong Ties

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay..I give in. After two days of researching on VJ about visiting, I am still unsure about some things, and I need clarification (and maybe reassurance) from other Canadians who have taken the dive and crossed the border during the K-1 process.

I understand you can visit, I understand you can be denied, I understand you need to prove your ties, that you need to be honest but not give up too much information..and its those last two I really get stuck.

Let me give you some background information to help.

I never used to be paranoid about crossing the border, however, I always seem to get a lot of questions. I never get "Pleasure or Business?", and its likely because I always have to cross the border to get to the airport, so I have to tell them "I am going to the airport to fly to soandso" That is when I get grilled for answers. It's funny because the very first time I met my now boyfriend, I just told the officer I was going to Philadelphia to see the Mutter Museum ( Great spot by the way). I was asked where it was, why I wanted to go to it, what was there, what got me interested in that museum, and then after the guard googled it, he said "I guess it looks interesting enough..you can go".

The second time I visited my boyfriend, we hadn't decided on the visa yet, so I just said I was visiting friends, to which I got asked, who are your friends, what are their names, and where did you meet them - which I answered thruthfully. Third time...not so much..who are you visiting? Friends. Where did you meet them? What is your job? Where do you work? Where do you live? Do you own a house or lease an apartment? When are you returning? Can I see you itinerary? I truthfully answered and went along my way.

So here is where I need clarification: I am going on the assumption that I am going to get questioned more than the standards (Where are you going? Purpose of your visit? When are you returning?). We just sent in the K-1 visa application two weeks ago. Boyfriend says they cashed the cheque, but he hasn't receieved the NOA1 yet. At this point, I don't consider him my fiance. Yes, we want to get married, but he hasn't proposed and I don't have a ring. I know it'll happen but I don't feel comfortable saying fiance. If I say I am visiting, and they ask who, and I say boyfriend, but they see I have a K-1 application on their screen, is that misrepresentation? That's another thing I am paranoid about.

I bought the plane ticket when I was living in a town close to the Detroit border. The ticket is for this weekend (Hotel Thursday, catch plane Friday, Return Monday). When I bought the ticket, I still had an apartment lease and a job contract until August. The beginning of June I was let go, and had to move my apartment out by July (hard asses, I know). Since then, I had to move back to my parents, and I've landed a temporary fulltime job as a receptionist for a home inspection company for a friend of the family.

Now that I don't have a lease agreement, or utilities to pay..I have no idea what else I can bring as documentation for strong ties to Canada, if I need them. All I have right now is a return ticket for Monday evening, a letter stating I am employed and I will be back to work on Tuesday, and I had my bank print out a bank statement showing all my accounts (I just put $5000 in a tax-free account turned GIC with a waiting period of 2 years). Will that be enough?

As for the K-1 paperwork.. I sent it all to my boyfriend. I do believe I have a copy of the petition somewhere in my email, but I don't have the biography information anymore, and he has all the copies of my boarding passes/photos. Since the petition was just sent, neither my boyfriend or I have a copy of the NOA1.

To sum up:

- Do I have to call him fiance if I am probed on who I am visiting if I don't feel comfortable calling him that?

- Is a leter of employment, return ticket and bank statement enough? I have no idea what else I could get

- I only have a copy of the petition but not all the paperwork that goes with it, and no NOA1.. is that copy good enough to prove I am going about it the legal way?

Sorry to flood the boards with more of these inane questions. I know there is no magic answer, and every experience is the different. I just don't know what clarifies as a good enough strong ties to Canada document (as most people just say "bring ties to Canada"), and I hardly have any proof of the K-1 because it was just sent in. And yes, I've read the FAQ thoroughly, and I searched the boards frequently, reading other people's experiences.

It's sad because everyone that I've talked to in person thinks I'll be fine... I'm the only one who is scared of misrepresentation or not having enough with me @_@.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Deep breath.... :) Don't worry! You seem to have it together just fine. When we sent the K-1 package, we weren't officially "engaged" either. I mean we knew we were getting married, but engaged doesn't mean you have to have a ring on your finger, you know what I mean? You can say boyfriend if that's what you feel he is. I really don't think when they scan your passport, they see you've applied for a Visa. The number of times I visited after applying, it was never asked if I had applied and I never brought it up. I think I said boyfriend too. Of course if they ask you, tell them the truth that you have applied for a K-1, etc. Just don't say "friends" when the truth is, you are going to see your love! You don't want to get caught in a lie.

Your evidence sounds like enough to me. An employment letter is very good proof you are returning home, as is a return ticket! Just bring all you have, and be honest and relax!

So you're moving to Philly? That's where I am :D Whereabouts does your BF live?

Edited by JillA

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
We just sent in the K-1 visa application two weeks ago. Boyfriend says they cashed the cheque, but he hasn't receieved the NOA1 yet. At this point, I don't consider him my fiance. Yes, we want to get married, but he hasn't proposed and I don't have a ring. I know it'll happen but I don't feel comfortable saying fiance. If I say I am visiting, and they ask who, and I say boyfriend, but they see I have a K-1 application on their screen, is that misrepresentation? That's another thing I am paranoid about.

First of all, regardless of what you choose to say or not say at the border, the fact of the matter is that he is your fiance.

By filing the I-129F, you also submitted supporting documentation including G 325A forms for each of you, and Statements of Intent (both of you!) of your intention to marry.

Hence there should be absolutely no ambiguity in your state of mind regarding your readiness to marry - that should have been clear before filing the I-129F.

Whether he proposed, or bought you a ring is immaterial - that's entirely up to you. But the fact that both of you declare your intention to marry each other was an essential part of the application process.

Now, regarding what to say at the border --- the border officers will expect the above to be true. Hence if you give indication that it is not true, yes, I think you're putting red flags on yourself. I would not travel until you know your state of mind. Perhaps you've rushed the K-1 filing and need to think it over and be certain you want to marry your boyfriend?

Good luck. Welcome to VJ.

Timeline

I guess I am really confused about what to say. I've read that you get red flagged when you say fiance, and I've read that you should always be honest but don't give up too much information.

So if you're asked "Pupose?" and you say "Visiting for the holiday" and they ask "Who?" "My fiance" ..wouldn't that be with holding information compared to you just said "I am visiting my fiance for the holiday weekend" - yet saying that is giving up too information.

This is why I am worried about misrepresentation. I have no doubt in my mind I want to marry him, but I also don't want to be flagged for using the word fiance. Some people say they don't blink an eye, others say the guards get really defensive when they hear the word. Ugggh.

Timeline
So you're moving to Philly? That's where I am :D Whereabouts does your BF live?

For some reason, I couldn't edit my post, but anyways..! To answer your question, my boyfriend was born in Philly but he lives in Maryland now. We met up in Philly for a 'date' because I told him I always wanted to see the Mutter Museum, and he said he wanted to take me, and that he had family there so he knew the city.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

99% of people have no problems visiting. Just be honest. u stated he hasn't proposed yet, so he isnt ur fiance--he is ur BF!! If they ask for more info, just be honest and explain the situation, and ALWAYS tell the truth--it is ALWAYS easier to recall the truth than a lie!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
I guess I am really confused about what to say. I've read that you get red flagged when you say fiance, and I've read that you should always be honest but don't give up too much information.

So if you're asked "Pupose?" and you say "Visiting for the holiday" and they ask "Who?" "My fiance" ..wouldn't that be with holding information compared to you just said "I am visiting my fiance for the holiday weekend" - yet saying that is giving up too information.

This is why I am worried about misrepresentation. I have no doubt in my mind I want to marry him, but I also don't want to be flagged for using the word fiance. Some people say they don't blink an eye, others say the guards get really defensive when they hear the word. Ugggh.

I think you may be over-worrying yourself here :) but I completely understand, as I was the same way!! To be honest, I think you should say when they ask your purpose to visit - that you are visiting your fiance. That is the truth, as since you have applied for a K-1, he is technically your fiance regardless of ring or proposal (as the other poster mentioned). I have never heard of being red-flagged just because you say fiance. You have the evidence you are coming back, you have applied for immigration the legal way, therefore you having nothing to hide or be dishonest about! The thing is, you just have to be truthful with the border people. They have a way to sniff out a story and you never want to get "caught". For example if you said boyfriend and they found out you applied for a K-1, they might say why didn't you say fiance, you know what I mean.

I don't think you are giving up too much information by saying you are visiting your fiance for the holiday weekend - after all, that's what you're doing!

99% of people have no problems visiting. Just be honest. u stated he hasn't proposed yet, so he isnt ur fiance--he is ur BF!! If they ask for more info, just be honest and explain the situation, and ALWAYS tell the truth--it is ALWAYS easier to recall the truth than a lie!!

But technically, if they applied for a K-1, and signed that paperwork, doesn't that mean he is her fiance regardless of an "official" proposal?

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Like JillA said just call him your fiance, because if you say that you have applied for a K-1 fiance visa the border guards may look at that as misrepresentation.

The last time I went through was in an airport...was asked two questions and I was on my way. Who are you going to visit? When will you return? The second last time I crossed the border was by land I was asked some questions about my fiance and where we were in the process of the K-1. The guard asked what consulate I would be going to for the interview, and also stated that it was "illegal to marry in the US without a visa." I wanted to correct him so badly when he said that! Anyways, I brought a letter of employment as well, but was never asked for anything furthur.

I did not have a lease agreement either as I live at home, so I got my parents to type me up a letter stating that I was living there and for how long, that I have expressed the intent to them to return to Canada, and that our wedding is planned for October in the USA, after the K-1 is issued.

Enjoy your visit!!

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline

I crossed a number of times to go to the airport to visit my fiance after we had applied for the I-129f/K-1. I always said I was going to the airport. When they asked why, I said, to visit my fiance in Atlanta for the weekend . . . (or until Tuesday or whenever my return flight was). Most times I was just waved on through, but I was pulled into secondary twice and they reviewed my paperwork. I carried a copy of the I-129f petition with me and in both cases, when they saw the petition, they closed up my file of evidence and let me continue. So, while you don't want to provide too much information, you do want to provide enough information to alleviate their concerns. You are visiting your fiance. You are visiting for a set period of time and have a return flight ticket. You have a job and are expected back at that job on a date that corresponds with your return flight ticket. Use that information to your advantage - it is the truth and it provides both reason for coming and evidence that you don't intend to stay.

Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

I almost felt as though saying fiance at the boarder made crossing easier for me then when I said boyfriend. If I stated I was going to visit my boyfriend I would get annoying questions like, "have you ever met him?" or "have you been to Colorado before?" as if they were judging us and the circumstances of our relationship. After the engagement, I would say I was visiting my fiance and I never got more than 1 or two simple follow up questions. For evidence of ties to Canada, all I brought was my return ticket and a letter from the University stating my enrollment situation. I was never asked for anything more than the return ticket.

I agree that saying fiance is probably a smarter choice than boyfriend, because it is the truth. However, I don't think saying boyfriend is misrepresentation or a lie, its what he is in your current state of mind. If there are any follow-up questions, you can simply explain that you plan on getting married but don't have a ring on your finger yet so its a no-go! I don't blame you for that. No bling, no title :P

I almost felt as though saying fiance at the boarder made crossing easier for me then when I said boyfriend. If I stated I was going to visit my boyfriend I would get annoying questions like, "have you ever met him?" or "have you been to Colorado before?" as if they were judging us and the circumstances of our relationship. After the engagement, I would say I was visiting my fiance and I never got more than 1 or two simple follow up questions.

Same situation for me! I got the 20 questions when I said BF...not fiance :thumbs:

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

I agree that you're over-worrying. Be honest, call him your fiance...frankly not calling him that, and it's found out that you've applied for the 129F would be more worrisome to them. The more you worry beforehand, the more anxious you look at the border crossing, and then they WILL ask you more than 20 questions...because you look so nervous. Rarely is anyone from Canada "flagged". The only time people seem to be "flagged" is when they're turned away which doesn't happen very often. Even that is open to interpretation as it's not known really if people are told they're flagged, or if they actually are.

carlahmsb4.gif

I, too, was extremely worried about crossing the border on the K1, and I was automatically pulled into secondary because I took the Greyhound from Ontario down to Florida. I brought all of my ties (employment letter, bank statement, copy of our NOA1, information regarding my fiance/address/phone number/etc, return itinerary, etc), and the officer still gave me a hard time. He probably asked me the same set of ten or so questions about half a dozen times. He poured over my paperwork for twenty minutes while I sat down, nervous as a wreck, until his superior came over and in a rather hushed tone told him it wasn't necessary for him to give me a hard time, that my paperwork was clearly in order and I could go. He called me up, threw all of my paperwork haphazardly into the folder I brought, told me to have my luggage scanned and to be on my way.

My saving grace was all of my paperwork. I didn't think about bringing along the entire package (though I could've), but I answered truthfully and politely, even when the officer scoffed at the idea of a cross-border relationship. I had everything in order, set dates, etc, and it was clear I wouldn't be staying...

That's all they want to see. Even if you get an experience like mine, in the end, if you prove you're going about things the proper way, you're fine.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Timeline
I, too, was extremely worried about crossing the border on the K1, and I was automatically pulled into secondary because I took the Greyhound from Ontario down to Florida. I brought all of my ties (employment letter, bank statement, copy of our NOA1, information regarding my fiance/address/phone number/etc, return itinerary, etc), and the officer still gave me a hard time. He probably asked me the same set of ten or so questions about half a dozen times. He poured over my paperwork for twenty minutes while I sat down, nervous as a wreck, until his superior came over and in a rather hushed tone told him it wasn't necessary for him to give me a hard time, that my paperwork was clearly in order and I could go. He called me up, threw all of my paperwork haphazardly into the folder I brought, told me to have my luggage scanned and to be on my way.

My saving grace was all of my paperwork. I didn't think about bringing along the entire package (though I could've), but I answered truthfully and politely, even when the officer scoffed at the idea of a cross-border relationship. I had everything in order, set dates, etc, and it was clear I wouldn't be staying...

That's all they want to see. Even if you get an experience like mine, in the end, if you prove you're going about things the proper way, you're fine.

nicely put - be honest and have your ducks in a row

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

All of the info in this thread is easing my mind a little bit. I'm a nervous wreck because I'll be attempting to cross the border today to go visit my husband for 4 weeks. I feel like I might be bringing too much stuff, but I have no idea what the "appropriate" amount of stuff is for a 4 week vacation! I'm bringing all my paperwork, including my interview letter, along with a letter from my boss stating when I'll be back at work, a few pay stubs, a phone bill and the invitation to my friend's wedding in Ottawa at the end of July. I'm always nervous about crossing the border, but it feels worse this time since I'm driving. I've driven there before (before I was married), and I didn't have any problems, and I didn't even know I was supposed to be nervous back then and I didn't bring any ties with me. I reaaaaallly hope I'll be allowed to cross today! Ack! Wish me luck!

02/13/09 -

:)

02/19/09 - I-130 mailed out

02/27/09 - NOA1

03/19/09 - NOA2

05/07/09 - NVC CASE COMPLETE!

06/23/09 - Received interview appointment letter via email! Yay!

08/19/09 -Interview! SUCCESS!! (Wanna read a ridiculously long interview review? Click the link!)

08/21/09 - Visa received!

09/11/09 - POE (Alexandria Bay, NY)

09/28/09 - Received Permanent Resident card

06/28/11 - Sent 1-751 to VSC

07/29/11 - Biometrics appointment (OKC)

01/20/12 - I-751 approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.