onwa

respect and relationships

24 posts in this topic

I always thought that respect had to be earned. But now that I've been married almost a year, I have changed my mind.

Just as I want unconditional love from my husband, my husband wants unconditional respect from me. Its been a complete mind change for me but its as almost as a light bulb went off in my head. I don't know if this is a men are mars, women are from venus type thing or what. I also wonder if it is an American thing to think that respect must be earned. I guess I still feel that is true, but within marraige, I think that decision was already made when I married him--i.e. If I didn't respect him, I wouldn't have married him.

Anyway, just wondering what other thoughts were on this subject.

February 17, 2005--mailed in I 129F to CSC!

February 24, 2005--1st NOA

March 15, 2005--2nd NOA

April 11, 2005--Fiance receives Packet 3

May 19, 2005 Fax Checklist(Nigeria police report finally arrives)

June 6, 2005-- Interview Date!!!!Visa approved!!

June 18, 2005--Fiancee arrives in Hawaii!

August 14, 2005--wedding in Oregon

September 12, 2005--sent in AOS

September 20, 2005--1st NOA AOS

September 23, 2005--Walk-in biometrics completed

October 1, 2005--fingerprints received/processing resumed

November 26, 2005--EAD card received in mail

June 7, 2006--contact senators about AOS

June 28, 2006--senator says interview date is for August 14!!

August 14, 2006--AOS interview and 1 year wedding anniversary

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I think respect should be automatic when the you already begin a relationship. Now as far as respect earned,the respect should have never been lost unless something bad happened. I have never heard of respect must be earned, and i am an American, i have however heard of trust must be earned.

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Just as I want unconditional love from my husband, my husband wants unconditional respect from me. Its been a complete mind change for me but its as almost as a light bulb went off in my head

Onwa, I am figuring this out myself. I am actually reading a book right now that talks about this exact same thing. It is called Love & Respect, The love she most desires, The respect he desperately needs. It is by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs. It talks about what you stated above exactly. I also used to think that respect had to be earned but I am learning how me and my husband as male and female reacte to one another. I want unconditional love from him and when I don't feel that I'm getting it somewhere, mostly unintentionally my respect for him diminishes. But I am learning that the oppositte happens to him. When he feels he is being disrespected by me he tends to hold back the love towards me in actions, words, etc. He shuts completely down. I am learning from this book how to change this. That sometimes, even when I don't want to or feel love coming from him, that I am too still show him respect. It's hard, but I am beginning to believe in the concept because I see the change in how my husband reactes to me.

ticker.png

Hmm interesting - I show respect to those who show respect to me in many cases- I dont give respect to anyone automatically - (except maybe as a child to my parents..when they were living). I DO respect my OH - we dont always agree but I do respect him..if I didn't I dont think we'd have a relationship. And he earned that respect btw I didnt just give it him because we started a relationship..the respect came FIRST.

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I respect everyone until they prove they never deserved it in the first place. After I lose my respect, it is my goal that they have no idea. (IOW, that I am able to act respectfully toward them regardless of my feelings).

Might be a Minnesota thing though... we're reaaalllyyyy polite

All good replies.

For me, there is a difference in acting respectful towards others and showing respect in your marraige. I also think that respect needs to be earned before you marry someone.

However, in the day to day living when your partner does something that normally would not earn your respect. Do you sho respect anyway?

Or if I am acting horrible and emotional for whatever reason, does my husband show me love anyway.

Is unconditional love more important than unconditional respect? In marraige.

I know for our situation, my husband would rather have my respect instead of love. and me love instead of respect.

I guess it is as Cangal was saying. When I show my husband respect, he feel loved. When my husband shows me love, I feel respected.

Keep the posts coming. Its interesting to hear others' thoughts on this.

February 17, 2005--mailed in I 129F to CSC!

February 24, 2005--1st NOA

March 15, 2005--2nd NOA

April 11, 2005--Fiance receives Packet 3

May 19, 2005 Fax Checklist(Nigeria police report finally arrives)

June 6, 2005-- Interview Date!!!!Visa approved!!

June 18, 2005--Fiancee arrives in Hawaii!

August 14, 2005--wedding in Oregon

September 12, 2005--sent in AOS

September 20, 2005--1st NOA AOS

September 23, 2005--Walk-in biometrics completed

October 1, 2005--fingerprints received/processing resumed

November 26, 2005--EAD card received in mail

June 7, 2006--contact senators about AOS

June 28, 2006--senator says interview date is for August 14!!

August 14, 2006--AOS interview and 1 year wedding anniversary

However, in the day to day living when your partner does something that normally would not earn your respect. Do you sho respect anyway?

I think this is a big thing! I too believe you need to respect one another before you get married but I think as Onwa is saying just the daily stuff. Day to day living, not an overall picture maybe. As I said above, I do think it is different for men and women. I have asked many men since reading the book i'm reading would you rather have, respect or love and every single one of them said respect and all the women said they would rather have love. I think men need respect just as deeply as we women need unconditional love. Usually in my day to day living with my husband sometimes there's comments, or spats, and there are times where I think he has done something hurtful so I lash out maybe in a disrespectful way trying in return to get his love or him to show me love. I feel if I'm not getting his love then I need to hold back maybe in a respectful way till he shows me love but I've learned that no matter how much it hurts or how hard it is, I have to show the respect even when I feel I don't want too even though in the bigger picture I do love and respect my husband, he may see it differently. I have talked to my husband much about this and he tells me all the time " Honey I know that you love me, every moment of the day I know you do, but sometimes I just feel like though you love me you just sometimes don't like me or respect me" I didn't know he felt that way, so we talked it out. And he's been kinda following along with me in this book I'm reading. I've been learning alot abotu the everyday stuff and how he feels disrespected sometimes.

Edited by CanGal
ticker.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Respect is very, very important in any type of relationship. :yes::thumbs:

Peter Miami

Johanna & Peter

Colombia / U.S.A.

I-129F / K-1 Fiancee Visa

08-20-02 - Met Johanna in Armenia, Colombia

10-05-05 - K-1 Sent to TSC

10-14-05 - Received NOA1 by E-Mail (Day 9)

12-22-05 - Reveived NOA2 By E-Mail & Mail (Day 78)

03-03-06 - Interview Date! (Day 149) Approved

03-10-06 - Johanna Arrived

05-27-06 - Married

I-485 / AOS (Did not applied for EAD or AP)

06-05-06 - Sent I-485 application to Chicago via USPS (Day 1)

06-06-06 - AOS Package Delivered at 12:29PM

06-12-06 - Received NOA1 by Mail

06-14-06 - Check Cashed

06-22-06 - Received Appointment Notice for Biometrics

06-26-06 - "Request for Additional Evidence" Online, waiting for letter

06-29-06 - Biometrics Done!

06-30-06 - Received RFE Letter by mail. (Missing Birth Certificate)

07-10-06 - Sent RFE by Express Mail USPS

07-11-06 - RFE Delivered @ 10:54AM Sign by D. Atwell

08-28-06 - AOS Transferred to CSC E-mail & USCIS Website (Day 85)

08-30-06 - Touched #1

08-31-06 - Touched #2

08-31-06 - E-Mail from CRIS & USCIS-CSSO - CSC received AOS Application

09-01-06 - Touched #3

09-01-06 - NOA by Mail Regarding Transfer to CSC

09-05-06 - Touched #4

09-07-06 - Touched #5

09-13-06 - Touched #6

09-15-06 - AOS Approved by Online Status & E-mail

09-21-06 - Received GC and Welcome Letter (Day 109)

I think that there are different levels of respect.

I respect my husband to be now. But it has grown a lot since day one.

I am not sure if that means he has earned respect or if I just learned more about his character as time has gone by.

I expect the man I marry to be respectable and respectful, but that is something that I already knew about him or I wouldn't be at a point of life long love.

There are certian aspects that I think we will both grow to respect and love about eachother. Those situations will surface in time.

Until then...I think you have to have a huge level of respect in someone if you plan to marry them.

If you don't respect them from the beginning then what was the attraction? If that makes sence.

Not that attraction is based on respect.....oh I know what I am saying! *grin* Even if you don't! :):wacko:

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Filed: Timeline
I always thought that respect had to be earned. But now that I've been married almost a year, I have changed my mind.

Just as I want unconditional love from my husband, my husband wants unconditional respect from me. Its been a complete mind change for me but its as almost as a light bulb went off in my head. I don't know if this is a men are mars, women are from venus type thing or what. I also wonder if it is an American thing to think that respect must be earned. I guess I still feel that is true, but within marraige, I think that decision was already made when I married him--i.e. If I didn't respect him, I wouldn't have married him.

Anyway, just wondering what other thoughts were on this subject.

With me my husband gained respect the moment we entered into our relationship.

it was automatic with me. It did not happen just because, he handed me some marriage contract. :no:

as for people on the street - respect is earned. I will like you til you give me a reason to think I dont!

shon.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hmm, this is something we discussed from nearly get go. I felt my previous marriage lacked respect from both sides, love was there but that was it. That marriage lasted 15 years and in all those years I can tell you I think respect is much more important than love. The two can typically go hand in hand, but if you lose or maybe never gain respect wholly, your bound to fail IMO. If you fall out of love it does not necessarily mean you no longer respect that person. As a woman, I don't feel I need the gushy lovey dovey stuff as much as I demand respect, love is just icing on the cake.

Personally I have tried to take a step back in this relationship, and give him the respect he deserves. Tim repays me by loving me and always considering my feelings (respect).

Some women might think I am crazy, but I have given him final say in everything simply because I know he will always consider me first, and then make the best decision for both of us. I still voice my opinions, and let it go at that. What he says goes. Just not a woman to throw tantrums to get what I want, and I have been the top dog in my prior marriage and hated it! Tim was certainly not the leader in his previous marriage either. We both conversed over this for many hours on end, and came to the conclusion he will run this household when it comes to the major decisions. Don't get me wrong I have ran the home for a year and a half, but bet your arce I always ask him first if I don't know what his answer would already be.

I feel I need some of the olden days, where men are men and women are ladies. I want my husband to take care of me, that doesn't mean I can't do things for myself nor am I giving up my individuality, just that I think it works better this way than the more modern way (tried it that way it doesn't work). This can only be achieved if I give him respect at all times, which by the way isn't difficult to do. (L)

B

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I think they both walk hand in hand and can be mixed up with each other. I can't love someone if I don't have respect for this person, and if this person doesn't show me respect, I will definitly think this person doesn't love me. That's valid for all types of relationships, be it with your husband, your family or your friends.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY