trickyspark

2 simple questions USCIS and NVC can't answer

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My wife is Chinese, and her first name is 2 parts, Ying Ying, her family name is Zhao. I am unsure how to enter her name.

FIRST: Ying MIDDLE:Ying LAST:Zhao

FIRST Ying Ying MIDDLE LAST:ZHAO

FIRST: Yingying MIDDLE LAST:ZHAO

I asked USCIS, they told me to call DHS. They didn't know what to do. I called NVC they said it should match her passport, her passport is Chinese and the names are entered YING YING ZHAO. That really doesn't help, being as it's a Chinese passport wouldn't it have been made in China and entered by someone who knew what they were doing, using the English format to only specify that the name has 3 parts, not necessarily that one is the middle?

She had a temporary social security card while she was in the USA as a student. Should this number be put on paperwork, or is it only valid for the stay in the USA?

My wife is Chinese, and her first name is 2 parts, Ying Ying, her family name is Zhao. I am unsure how to enter her name.

I asked USCIS, they told me to call DHS. They didn't know what to do. I called NVC they said it should match her passport, her passport is Chinese and the names are entered YING YING ZHAO. That really doesn't help, being as it's a Chinese passport wouldn't it have been made in China and entered by someone who knew what they were doing, using the English format to only specify that the name has 3 parts, not necessarily that one is the middle?

She had a temporary social security card while she was in the USA as a student. Should this number be put on paperwork, or is it only valid for the stay in the USA?

Since her first name has 2 parts, then I would think the 2nd format that you mentioned is right.

FIRST: Ying Ying MIDDLE: LAST:ZHAO

Ask the NVC about the social security number.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know if this helps but have a look at what their manual (Dept. of State) say about Chinese names:

http://foia.state.gov/masterdocs/09FAM/09F0600.PDF

Good luck!

Edited by Cygnet

CR-1

09/16/2005 Mailed I-130 (CSC)

09/21/2005 NOA 1

02/07/2006 NOA 2 (Day 143)

02/25/2006 Petitioner receives AOS Bill in U.S. (Day 161)

02/27/2006 AOS Bill (regular USPS) and DS-3032 (Canada Post regular) are mailed out

03/21/2006 Petitioner receives I-864 package (Day 185)

03/22/2006 Beneficiary receives IV Bill and sends payment - regular mail (Day 186)

03/24/2006 Petitioner sends back I-864 (Day 188)

04/13/2006 Beneficiary receives DS-230 (Day 208)

05/10/2006 Beneficiary sends back DS-230 and docs to NVC via Fedex (Day 235)

05/19/2006 NVC issues RFE on Question # 20 on the DS-230. (Day 244)

05/29/2006 Beneficiary receives RFE and sends it off (Day 254)

06/02/2006 NVC receives RFE (Day 258)

06/16/2006 Case Complete! (Day 272)

07/07/2006 Case forwarded to Consulate in Montreal (Day 293)

08/11/2006 INTERVIEW! VISA APPROVED!

08/14/2006 Picked up visa and crossed the border.

08/25/2006 SS card arrives in the mail

09/07/2006 GC arrives in the mail.

K-3

02/01/2006 Mailed I-129F

02/07/2006 NOA1

04/14/2006 I-129F is approved!

04/24/2006 NVC forwards the application to the consulate in Montreal

05/01/2006 Packet 3 is received from consulate & is sent of 3 days later

07/07/2006 Medical

08/08/2006 INTERVIEW- cancelled bec. of CR-1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Ying Ying is her first name.

Chinese names do not have a middle name.

As opposed to western culture where the first "word" is the individual's name and the second "word" is the surname (family name) (with optional middle names), the first character is usually the surname. For example, common Chinese surnames: Lee or Chen or Wang (etc.). For your wife, this is "Zhao".

Then the second two characters are the individual's name. Thus, in your wife's case, it's "Ying Ying".

Usually, Chinese names come in 3 characters. There are exceptions where it can be 2 or 4 (I have never heard more than 4 but who knows?).

For two, it's just 1 character for surname and 1 character for the individual's name.

For 4, it's usually due to the fact that the surname is of two characters. One example I can think of is "Ouyang", here spelled as one English word but if in Chinese, "ou" and "yang" are two separate characters.

I would say that SSN she was given would be the one to use. But definitely ask, it would not hurt.

Hope this helps.

7/11/2006 - Concurrently filed I-130/I-485/I-131 and mailed it off to the Lockbox in Chicago, IL

7/12/2006 - Received in Chicago, IL

7/17/2006 - Notice of Action for all 3.

7/24/2006 - E-filed I-765.

8/04/2006 - Biometrics appointment for I-485.

8/21/2006 - Biometrics appointment for I-765.

11/??/2006 - Interview

03/??/2007 - Wife received permanent resident card

(Sorry about the lack of updates!)

Currently filing citizenship...

Filed: Timeline

trickyspark,

SSNs are not temporary, once you have one you have it for life. (Unless there's some particular reason to get it changed - look for mdyoung posts on that subject if you're interested.)

Was the card marked in some way as being temporary?

Yodrak

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yes the card specified Temporary Social Security Card, Valid for authorized employment only by INS or something along those lines. I called Social Security Administration today, they told me that she would be issued a new permanent one when she immigrates, not to list the old one. I had gotten mixed answers from USCIS and NVC when I asked them about it, I honestly don't know why I didnt call the SSA to begin with lol. Overwhelmed with getting employment letters, proof of residence, birth certificates, proof reading the whole thing checking for errors, making copies, notarizing every page I attach for proof just for the hell of it. I get free notary from my friend.

Worst case scenario, if someone at NVC or wherever entered her name wrong, one YING for first, one YING for middle, and I send in ths form as YING YING for FIRST no MIDDLE, and ZHAO for last what could happen? USCIS and NVC both told me it really didn't matter, they told me the namecheck would be done using her Chinese characters by the Chinese embassy. This sound right?

Thanks for that name link, interesting site there.

One little question, line 23 on the I-864a, current annual individual income is____________

Do I make a forecast as to what the person will earn this year, or enter what has been earned up until today?

Thanks again for the help.

Your second option of names is technically correct for china, since the 'given name' is two characters; no middle name.

But for the US, it is whatever you two want it to be. If you want to break up the two characters as first and middle, you can. Despite any clarity you might reach in deciding, there are plenty of times it ends up in the case differently than what you want. So it's important to state NONE in middle if that's what you want... and correct along the way if they get it wrong; and they have in the past, and they will in the future.

You also did not state if she plans to eventually take on your last name for her last name... if she does, then you probably don't want to break up her two character given name since most [chinese] will want to shift their family names into the middle spot, and then take your last name.

----

On I-864a: The operative words are CURRENT ANNUAL. That means what you [expect] to make for the ENTIRE year... Since this is for a relative, you'll just want some way of backing up that number.. even if it is a monthly trend of numbers which you can show forecast out to the number you put down; unless there is something like an employer letter for the Joint-Sponsor...

trickyspark,

"something along those lines"? The notation on the card about 'valid for employment only with INS authorization' is familiar, the part about being temporary is not. But even if the card was temporary (or is lost), and will be replaced, the number assigned to her does not change unless she incorrectly tells the SSA that she's never had an SSN before. She applies for a new card, not a new number.

Yodrak

Yes the card specified Temporary Social Security Card, Valid for authorized employment only by INS or something along those lines. I called Social Security Administration today, they told me that she would be issued a new permanent one when she immigrates, not to list the old one. I had gotten mixed answers from USCIS and NVC when I asked them about it, I honestly don't know why I didnt call the SSA to begin with lol. ....

good catch Yodrak... and I agree.

The "valid for..." is only meant to suggest your not work authorized by virtue of the SS card alone, that you still need some 'proof' of authorization.

Once she gets her GC, she can apply for a new SS card (same number) without that writing on it...

trickyspark,

"something along those lines"? The notation on the card about 'valid for employment only with INS authorization' is familiar, the part about being temporary is not. But even if the card was temporary (or is lost), and will be replaced, the number assigned to her does not change unless she incorrectly tells the SSA that she's never had an SSN before. She applies for a new card, not a new number.

Yodrak

Yes the card specified Temporary Social Security Card, Valid for authorized employment only by INS or something along those lines. I called Social Security Administration today, they told me that she would be issued a new permanent one when she immigrates, not to list the old one. I had gotten mixed answers from USCIS and NVC when I asked them about it, I honestly don't know why I didnt call the SSA to begin with lol. ....

• 11 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

John DeFrancis' Comprehensive English Chinese Dictionary (ISBN 0-8248-2766-X) contains a fantastic 98-page appendix which includes the rules for writing Chinese names in the Peoples' Republic of China. Appendix 1, section 4.2.3 on page 1343 states "Chinese people's names are to be written separately with the surname first, followed by the personal name written as one word...." This rule took effect on July 1, 1996, and is specified in the National Standard of the PRC (ICS 01.140.10), approved and issued by the State Technology Supervision Bureau on January 22, 1996.

Therefore your third version is correct, if your wife is from the PRC. Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. might follow other rules.

10-10-2006 Met in internet

12-09-2006 Personal meeting in Dalian

April, May More meetings in Shanghai

05-05-2007 Engaged in Shanghai

05-12-2007 Mailed I-129F from China, EMS

05-16-2007 Received in Nebraska Service Center

05-??-2007 Forwarded to California Service Center

06-04-2007 NOA1 allegedly mailed by California Service Center

06-06-2007 Check cashed

06-07-2007 touched

08-28-2007 touched

09-04-2007 NOA1 received that CSC mailed three months earlier

10-03-2007 NOA2 sent from CSC

10-31-2007 emailed NVC, asked if they had gotten our petition

11-07-2007 NVC said they had it (didn't say when they got it) and had assigned it the case number OH2.

I can't believe we have a case number this short. They must have reached ten million and are

starting over at zero.

For name, it's really up to her decision which format she wants to use.

Then make consistent name over multiple documents such as passport, SSN, other documents.

Since most of Asian country doesn't have concept of middle name - although some may use nickname or similar name for themself - ,

option 2 (First: Ying Ying Middle: None Last: Zhao) or option 3 (First: Yingying Middle: None Last: Zhao) will be her choice.

In this case, most people prefer to use option 3 because most of form they fill up assumes one word from Firstname, and it's not causing confusion with middlename and firstname. If you write "Ying Ying Zhao", most people will assume "middle" Ying as middlename.

For SSN, she need to put that same SSN number for all documents filing for US CIS.

SSN issued to each person, and it is same through his/her whole life.

After she get greencard, and/or citizenship, she just needs to visit Social Security Administration office to show new document for her status change.

Then SSA will keep same number, and update her immigration status.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

For name, it's really up to her decision which format she wants to use.

Then make consistent name over multiple documents such as passport, SSN, other documents.

Since most of Asian country doesn't have concept of middle name - although some may use nickname or similar name for themself - ,

option 2 (First: Ying Ying Middle: None Last: Zhao) or option 3 (First: Yingying Middle: None Last: Zhao) will be her choice.

In this case, most people prefer to use option 3 because most of form they fill up assumes one word from Firstname, and it's not causing confusion with middlename and firstname. If you write "Ying Ying Zhao", most people will assume "middle" Ying as middlename.

For SSN, she need to put that same SSN number for all documents filing for US CIS.

SSN issued to each person, and it is same through his/her whole life.

After she get greencard, and/or citizenship, she just needs to visit Social Security Administration office to show new document for her status change.

Then SSA will keep same number, and update her immigration status.

Wow, this is a really old thread. The correct transliteration (already documented) is Yingying Zhao or Zhao, Yingying, if you will. This is how her name will read on her passport and Notarial Translations of her Birth Certificate, etc. In the US, unless you are attempting fraud, you can use any name you wish but that doesn't change your legal name.

Chinese characters represent what we think of as syllables. A given name can have one or two (maybe more also) syllables. Written in Chinese, the pinyin transliterated name Yingying Zhao has three characters. The first character represents the family name, Zhao and the other two characters represent the given name, Yingying. In my experience (This may vary regionally in China.) it is most common to be called by the full name, Zhao Yingying.

With the exception of family names, most Chinese characters obtain their meaning in combinations of two characters. Single characters commonly have no meaning alone. They derive meaning when put in combination with a second character. Combination changes give different meanings. Further, multiple characters can have the same transliteration. The pinyin transliteration of my wife's family name can represent three different characters all with different meaning. This is why the Consulate will eventually require the four digit telegraphic code for each of the characters in Zhao Yingying's name and why there is a space on the G325 a for the name in native characters.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

You need to put it as Ying Yang for the first name. My husband has two first names and no middle also.

* Jan 3, 2003 - Met the love of my life

* Oct 18, 2006 - We got Married

I-130:

* Jul 16, 2007 - Sent I-130 to Nebraska Service Center

* Jul 19, 2007 - I know it's sitting in the PO Box today

* Jul 27, 2007 - Check cashed for I-130 Fee

* Aug 2, 2007 - NOA1 Arrived in the mail dated Jul. 25

* Sep 19, 2007 - ~Touch~ Placed with I-129F

* Dec 4, 2007 - ~Touch~ Address Change

* Mar 7, 2008 - ~Touch~

* Mar 13, 2008 - NOA2 Mailed - We got an approval!

* Jun 3, 2008 - Entered into NVC System

*Jun 4, 2008 - DS- 3032 emailed

*Currently waiting to send I-864.

I-129F:

* Sep 6, 2007 - Mailed I-129F to California Service Center

* Sep 10, 2007 - I-129F arrived to Laguna Niguel PO Box

* Sep 17, 2007 - NOA1 Arrived in the mail dated Sep. 12

* Sep 19, 2007 - ~Touch~ Placed with I-130

* Dec 4, 2007 - ~Touch~ Address Change

* Mar 7, 2008 - ~Touch~

* Mar 13, 2008 - NOA2 Mailed - We got an approval!

* Apr 7, 2008 - Entered into NVC System

* Apr 9, 2008 - Sent to CDJ Mexico

* Jul 7, 2008 - K3 Interview Scheduled. Not going!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
You need to put it as Ying Yang for the first name. My husband has two first names and no middle also.

Absolutely wrong for China as has been explained multiple times in this thread.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 4 weeks later...

For what its worth my wife also attended graduate school for four years in the US (this is where we met), therefore she was issued an SSN. I included her SSN on our I-130. The SSN number is important since it has the ability to give a lot of information about her past easily (i.e. how much did she make, taxes, etc...)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.