elizabeth&hisham

AOS Interview, FINALLY

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi all!

I haven't been around VJ for ages -- our case was so stalled, and for so long, that I simply stopped checking in. But I'm back today to share some of the best news we've had in ages...

H's AOS application, submitted August 2005, has FINALLY cleared whatever log jam had been holding things up! WE HAVE AN INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT in Indianapolis next month, hooraaaaay!

Time to dig out the old paperwork and get a folder in order for the appointment. At this point, the medical stuff is the only element making me nervous at all. He had his exam and shots prior to getting the K-1, and turned all of that over at the POE when he got here in March four years ago. I'm just not clear yet on whether 1) that original stuff, so old, will still be considered valid, or even if 2) it managed to keep up with his file (wherever it was) all this time...

Looking up info here currently. Anybody care to point me in a helpful direction?

Also, has anyone from Morocco had an interview recently? I'd love to hear what to expect, especially success stories...

E

Me (Indiana) & Him (Fes, Morocco)

Summer 2002: Met in Morocco
Summer 2004: Began work on 129f; joined VJ rather than hiring a lawyer

I-129f Submission & Approval
Oct 19, 2004: I-129f to VSC
Oct 29: NOA2 online -- approved in 6 days, 10/23 to 10/29!

From NVC to Consulate & All the Way Home...
Nov 8, 2004: Case to Casablanca
Feb 23: Interview; CO said they'll call in 2-3 weeks
Mar 2: Casa calls; visa in hand the next day!
Mar 24: Arrival at JFK; over four hours waiting, but got an EAD
April 15, 2005: Married

AOS
Aug 10, 2005: AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago
Nov 12: AOS prints taken

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009:
EAD renewals often delayed. (?)
Info-Pass officials will say only that "other authorities" are handling our case; we eventually got our Senator's office involved
Spring 2009: A letter arrives, saying his 2005 fingerprints have expired and need to be updated. We head down to Indy and get his prints redone.
June 2009: We FINALLY get the AOS interview letter just shy of FOUR YEARS since submission of AOS application...

July 2009: after the interview, his 10-year Green Card arrives. Alle-freaking-luia.

N-400

Application in progress, 2015. We divorced in 2012 but are still good friends. E is helping organize H's application for Naturalization... fingers crossed!

How hard to pin down the truth, especially when one is obliged to see the world in slices; snapshots conceal as much as they make plain. (Rushdie, Shame)

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Elizabeth, has your husband just had work authorization and the sort since he's been here? This is tremendously messed up. You all should have been able to apply for citizenship now.

Timeline

Thanks, Jackie and Nawal.

After moving to Indiana last year we contacted our helpful Senator Lugar's office, and his staff were able to ascertain only that H's case WAS still 'in the system', but was ALSO still being held up for unspecified security/background check reasons. We assumed we'd be stuck in limbo for another four years...

Then, last month, we got a notice that his fingerprints were expired and needed to be resubmitted. So we went down to Indy to do that (and FYI, we LOVED the Indianapolis office... they're so, so, SO much quicker and more organized and friendly and efficient than anywhere we ever went in New York!!) And less than a month after going down for his prints, we get this interview letter.

In 06 we got an interview appointment in New York, but it was cancelled a few weeks later. I'm just so hoping that this one'll be for real.

ETA: Staashi, his work card apps were always a nightmare. Twice they were delayed for being somehow 'attached' to the delayed AOS app. Then we'd just wait and wait, and of course the hotline folks could give no info. So that situation required intervention from senators offices both times. Truly, truly screwy. I'm just hoping this interview will mean a green card so that we never have to apply for a freaking work card ever, ever again... ;)

Edited by elizabeth&hisham

AOS

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009:
Info-Pass officials will say only that "other authorities" are handling our case; we eventually got our Senator's office involved
Spring 2009: A letter arrives, saying his 2005 fingerprints have expired and need to be updated. We head down to Indy and get his prints redone.
June 2009: We FINALLY get the AOS interview letter just shy of FOUR YEARS since submission of AOS application...

July 2009: after the interview, his 10-year Green Card arrives. Alle-freaking-luia.

N-400

Application in progress, 2015. We divorced in 2012 but are still good friends. E is helping organize H's application for Naturalization... fingers crossed!

How hard to pin down the truth, especially when one is obliged to see the world in slices; snapshots conceal as much as they make plain. (Rushdie, Shame)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Congratulations & best wishes :star:

SUE & NASR. EDDINE

Married March 25, 2004 - Tunis, Tunisia

Timelines are now in profile

02/23/05- Husband arrives............POE Newark, NJ!

CITIZENSHIP

02/23/09 - mailed citizenship papers to Lewisville, TX - priority mail

02/26/09 - received at TX

03/04/09 - Service Center deposits check

03/04/09 - NOA date

03/06/09 - check posted to my account

03/09/09 - NOA received in mail

06/04/09 - called Customer Service - in regards to not receiving bio appointment

06/13/09 - received letter in regards to my inquiry to Customer Service - stating husband had recently missed biometric appointment (never received a notice in mail) - going to be rescheduled - letter dated 06/05/09

06/17/09 - received Notice for biometrics appointment - dated 06/12/09

06/26/09 - Biometrics Appointment - St. Albans, VT

08/20/09 - Received Interview Appointment Letter

10/05/09 - Interview - Albany, NY- PASSED

10/23/09 - Oath Ceremony - Fort Edward, NY

01/28/10 - applied for US Passport

02/19/10 - received back naturalization certificate

02/22/10 - received US Passport

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi there, Elizabeth! I remember you from when I first joined VJ, *ages* ago, you know like when you first submitted your AOS. Sheesh, I've heard of some long waits for AOS, but I think this breaks some sort of record.

The good news is that Hisham will get his 10-year green card and you won't have to worry about removing conditions. Not the best consolation prize, I know, but I guess you have to look on the bright side.

As for the interview, I don't *think* you'll have a problem with any of the documents, as long as your biometrics are up-to-date. As for the medical, they are supposed to accept it as long as it was valid when the I-485 was submitted, but I've heard of cases where they've asked for an updated medical at the interview (a crotchety interviewer perhaps?).

Make sure that you have evidence to cover your entire marriage with you at the interview, not just what you submitted when you filed the I-485.

Best of luck!

Timeline

Thanks, upstategal. :)

Here's a copy of the question I just posted to the thread "FAQs: Forms I-693 and DS-3025, Medical and Vaccination Supplements When Adjusting Status" over in the AOS/Green Card forum. Feedback from anyone here in the MENA group would be heartily appreciated. E

---

Question.

As listed in my signature, my husband entered the US on a K-1 back in April 2005. As part of the K-1 process, he had a medical exam and vaccinations with a consulate-approved doctor in Morocco in January 05. At the POE in April 05, he handed over his envelope. He didn't get copies of whatever was inside, so we have no DS-3025 (just a receipt for the exam).

After marrying, we applied for his AOS in August 05. This was less than a year after his medical exam in Morocco.

We have finally (honestly, just now, almost four years later) gotten an interview appointment for his AOS. It's a long story (and not our fault at all).

Anyhow. I've read the USCIS 'Application Procedures: Becoming a Permanent Resident While in the US' and noticed that the Form I-693 Medical Examination Sheet is "not required if you are applying based on continuous residence since before 1972, or if you have had a medical exam based on a fiancé visa".

However, as others have noted in this thread, the I-693 instruction pages suggest that, as a K-1 holder who had his exam overseas, we'll still need to submit Parts 1, 2 and 5.

Since his vaccinations were done in Morocco, the DS-3025 was part of his POE envelope, correct? Are we still required to see a civil surgeon about I-693 Parts 2 and 5? If so, without having a copy of whatever was in the brown envelope, how can a civil surgeon fill out that info?

I'm hoping he won't need another full exam and battery of shots before our AOS interview next month...

Advice, anyone?

---

Thanks so much for the kind note and advice, Jenn! :)

AOS

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009:

N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ah, so did you not submit the DS-3025 from his medical in Morocco or alternatively the I-693 vaccination supplement with the I-485 then?

When we applied, Wadi saw the civil surgeon for the I-693 supplement, which we submitted with the AOS package.

I would think they would have sent you an RFE by now if your file wasn't complete, they have had four years after all. But some people have been approved without ever having submitted the vaccination record.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

woh :blink: If anyone ever feels bad about how long they have had to wait in this process, I'm going to point towards you guys now.

Glad to hear things are finally moving along and positive vibes they keep doing so.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

CONGRATULATIONS!

When we interviewed yesterday, our CO was commenting on our long journey and told us his next case after us had waited to interview for the GC since 2002. That poor couple...!

But Im glad to hear things are moving finally for you two.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Lebanon
Timeline

That is insane!! I hope the interview comes quickly and everything is fine so you guys can move on and get one step closer to being USCIS free.

June 11 05-Married George, civil ceremony in New York

May 30 08-Baby Joshua was born

Jan 15-Back to NY we go...

May 10-made decision not to go back overseas.

July 10-filed for divorce

Jan 11-Divorce final

July 11-1st trip to take Josh to see George

Mar 12-2nd trip to take Josh to see George

MfXV.jpg.png

1LR1.jpg.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

That's great! Congrats and welcome back!

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.