jonesg111

Did interview yesterday and denied!

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
i caused a scene, but that's cuz im a psycho american chick who was ready to gtfo of canada. :D

Did causing a scene help? If it did I would love to learn exactly what you did so that I can do the same! :dance:

lol no, I don't think so cuz i wouldn't have had to send anything back lol, but I just faxed in what she was asking and it was approved after that. i was crying and saying why would i even petition for my husband if we didn't want to leave. told her i refuse to leave with out him, and all this ####### lol. i said how ridiculous it is to ask for a lease with my mother. i like you had all the goodies, bank account, proof of voting, etc. which she wouldn't look at so i just sent that in with the lease with my mom, some car insurance, and some other things i could do. i guess i could've brought a moving quote or something, but we did it ourselves anyways and didn't reserve a u-haul till we actually had his passport back.

So you faxed that stuff in? I thought it had to be mailed, plus they want my passport back for that as well.

So all these responses seem to validate my idea that he's just being a jerk. Seriously why would anyone go through all this hassle just to say that they're not moving. And then they basically ask for the same information that they have already been sent, why not say specifically what they're looking for to begin with!!

yeah we faxed it, she said we could fax or mail. we could've left the passport at the interview, but we took it anyways. and then i emailed them to find out if it was approved and just mailed the passport back when they said it was good to go (we left the mailer with them already for them to send it back).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I talked with a friend of mine today that went through the interview last Sept. He and his family had also been living in Canada but for just over 5 years, much longer then the one year that we had been here.

Anyway, when they got to the proving domicile part, they basically had nothing, just one bank account. The lady that was doing the interview told them the usual stuff, like why were they in Canada for so long, and they needed more proof. They told her that the reason they were there for so long was because they had to go through this immigration paperwork that took them two years to complete, putting the blame back on them for keeping them in Canada.

The long and short of it is that she gave them the visa after a brief discussion. No asking for additional paperwork or anything, which I think just goes to prove my point that the official that we got was just being a jerk. We had plenty of evidence of domicile and yet he asked for more, for whatever reason.

His words were " US immigration is here to bring families together", :wacko: saying that since we were together that we did not need to move to the US? UUUUUHHH DUUUHHH

Sorry, but this just irks me, I know its not a big deal and I can just send in some more meaningless papers and it will be done, but wow do we need to be imbeciles to work at the interview desk in US immigration?

Thanks for listening, and good day :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It is a big deal, if I got rejected I'd be pissed and upset, even if there was a reason for it. You have every reason to be discouraged and annoyed, so I really hope it gets cleared up soon for you.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Yes, it's totally up the the CO - so in your friends case it sounds like they had someone that was willing to sit with them and have a conversation and get it sorted out.

The fact that the CO that interviewed you mentioned stuff about your wife moving back to the U.S. to establish domicile - well that's just weird.

I also was asked for more proof of domicile - but from NVC. I had sent in quite a few things, however one of the things I sent back with the RFE was that lease from my Sister (and proof that we had sold our house in Calgary etc).

In looking at what wowswift mentions he sent back as proof, I wonder if that 'lease' is one of the deciding items. What made me think of it is reading over the domicile guidelines in the I-864 - proof that you have rented or purchased property in the U.S. is one of the things listed - maybe they just look for anything that is actually on that list.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
So here is the short version since I have to get back to work. We went to the consulate, followed all the tips by getting there early etc.

After going through all the paperwork and fingerprints we got called into the little office where you do the swearing with the immigration official. He asks us a bunch of questions and then says "Yea, it all looks pretty good, you'll just have one little hurdle yet to climb"

He says that he needs more proof of domicile!! He wants utility bills, mortgage, etc to prove that we intend to move. What kind of nonsense is that?! I mean would we be going through all this hassle and money just to say.... uuuhhh yea we're not moving?!

Anyway, I'm not terribly concerned since I plan on getting a letter from my in-laws written up like a rental agreement and then someone who owns a company will write an employment offer letter to my wife who is the USC.

The guy at the window was really asking for things that we would not have had even if my wife had been living in the US. She has lived with her parents prior to getting married to me and moving to Canada, so she had no mortgage or utility bills.

Personally I think he is just being a "pencil-pusher" and making himself feel important.

Has anyone else ran into this at the interview? I know that we sent in all the paperwork during the application to prove domicile, bank accounts, car registration, insurance, but apparently thats not good enough since my wife has been "visiting" me for too long.

Sorry to hear about your delay in getting the green-card. Go ahead and organize the documents (proof) that they requires. "Good things come to those who wait" :star:

JNR

Timeline
Yes, it's totally up the the CO - so in your friends case it sounds like they had someone that was willing to sit with them and have a conversation and get it sorted out.

The fact that the CO that interviewed you mentioned stuff about your wife moving back to the U.S. to establish domicile - well that's just weird.

I also was asked for more proof of domicile - but from NVC. I had sent in quite a few things, however one of the things I sent back with the RFE was that lease from my Sister (and proof that we had sold our house in Calgary etc).

In looking at what wowswift mentions he sent back as proof, I wonder if that 'lease' is one of the deciding items. What made me think of it is reading over the domicile guidelines in the I-864 - proof that you have rented or purchased property in the U.S. is one of the things listed - maybe they just look for anything that is actually on that list.

That item of lease/mortgage/rental agreement does seem to pop up over and over. I think if I were to advise anyone else or do it again that would be the main thing that I would recommend.

The part about an RFE, thats the part that irks me the most is that had they not had sufficient information from me to begin with then I could see getting a letter from the NVC, but they approved everything and then this guy wants more.

Timeline

So, if my husband is in the military, it shouldn't be a big deal? Do you think, a letter from his commanding officer, proof of savings at the bank? He's going to grab an apartment/town house for us once I'm finally there, or awaiting the interview..hm. >_>

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Timeline
So, if my husband is in the military, it shouldn't be a big deal? Do you think, a letter from his commanding officer, proof of savings at the bank? He's going to grab an apartment/town house for us once I'm finally there, or awaiting the interview..hm. >_>

Where does he live now?

Timeline

Overseas in Kuwait until 2010, then he's back to Fort Bliss Texas. o_o Just asking since he may still be in Kuwait once it's interview time.

But to OP, I really do home you cross this hurdle so you can be together with your loved one! That guy probably had something up his @ss. >_>

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Hey, this was not in Canada, but me and my fiance had the exact same thing happen at our interview. I have been living in Honduras the past two years and the interviewer also said I should go back to the US right away to get a job, etc. She used that same stupid line " US immigration is here to bring families together". It was really frustrating and I know what you're going through. I am now back in the US and we sent the embassy a letter from my job and a few other things. But I am worried the embassy will take forever to get back to us because there is now a political crisis going on in Honduras. Just our luck.

Timeline
Hey, this was not in Canada, but me and my fiance had the exact same thing happen at our interview. I have been living in Honduras the past two years and the interviewer also said I should go back to the US right away to get a job, etc. She used that same stupid line " US immigration is here to bring families together". It was really frustrating and I know what you're going through. I am now back in the US and we sent the embassy a letter from my job and a few other things. But I am worried the embassy will take forever to get back to us because there is now a political crisis going on in Honduras. Just our luck.

I wonder if they would have just accepted more proof from you instead of you having to move back first? Hope they are quick getting the visa to your wife now!

Jones, have you sent the stuff back to Montreal yet?

Edited by trailmix

• 4 months later...
Timeline

I wonder if they would have just accepted more proof from you instead of you having to move back first? Hope they are quick getting the visa to your wife now!

Jones, have you sent the stuff back to Montreal yet?

Sorry I did not notice your last question until 5 months later! But yes we sent it in 2 weeks ago. I'm just nervous now with the time that they're taking to respond.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.