luck-e and Kookie

k1 eligible for SSN?

21 posts in this topic

I was informed by one member here that k1 visa holders are eligible for SSn? is that true? if yes, how?

Arrived Honolulu June 8, 2009
Got Married: June 17, 2009
Applied for SSN Card: June 19, 2009
Received SSN Card: June 25, 2009
AOS Timeline[
Sent AOS Packet: July 8, 2009
NOAs for AP and EAD: July 23, 2009
NOA for AOS: July 27, 2009
Biometrics date for my K2: Aug 22, 2009
Biometrics for me: Aug 20, 2009
Notice date for biometrics: July 31 and Aug 4, 2009
RFE received and AOS resumed: Sept 3, 2009
AP and EAD approved: October 22, 2009 (MY BIRTHDAY!)
AP approval notice received in the mail: Oct 25, 2009
EAD approval notice mailed: Oct 28, 2009

LIFTING CONDITIONS:
APPROVED FOR BOTH me and my daughter: 3/12/2012

NATURALIZATION:
Filed: 9/13/2012
I797C: 9/17/2012
Interview: 1/3/2013
Oath: 2/13/2013

IR5 (MOM)

NOA1: February 27, 2013

NOA2: November 19, 2013

NVC Received: Dec 19, 2013 but assigned an SDO case number

NVC changed case number to MNL: 1/23/2014

Paid AOS fee: 1/25/14

IV Invoice via email: 1/30/14

Paid IV: 1/30/14

CASE COMPLETE: 3/7/14

NVC Schedule: 4/10/2014

when you get your AOS i know you can. for your EAD and stuff i know you can, but for a k-1 i dont think you can. When you get the green card, or EAD, (permission to work), you can go to the SS office and pretty much show the paperwork as to 'why'/ what qualifies you for a SS#, and your pretty much home free, but a k-1, even though you are halfway through the process, you still dont have the green card, and i dont think you can get the SS#, until you get a greencard or EAD, which is when you complete the k-1 stuff and send in your AOS.

"Tall, dark and handsome with an amazing smile. He gave me butterflies every time he looked my way. I knew he was the one."- Me

I-129F NOA1 : April 5, 2008

I-129F NOA2 : April 28, 2008

NVC Left : Aug.18, 2008

Packet 3 Received: Sept. 3, 2008

Interview Date : Dec. 18, 2008

APPROVED!!!!

Dec. 19, 2008- Alfredo comes home!

Jan. 5, 2009: Alfredo and I become husband and Wife

March 10, 2009 AOS paperwork sent, will wait for it to arrive via tracking #

March 12, 2009 AOS paperwork arrives in Chicago

March 23, 2009 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765

March 30, 2009-Biometrics letter received, appt date April 10th @11am philly office

April 10, 2009-Biometrics appt. done, in and out in 15 minutes

Nov. 18, 2009-Card production ordered

9q7SPs.jpg

weddingpics082-1.jpg

IgJym4.png

I was informed by one member here that k1 visa holders are eligible for SSn? is that true? if yes, how?

Yes. Just take your B.C. and passport with the I-94 attatched, and visit your local SSA office.

I just got here last monday and will get married today. Is that fine?

Arrived Honolulu June 8, 2009
Got Married: June 17, 2009
Applied for SSN Card: June 19, 2009
Received SSN Card: June 25, 2009
AOS Timeline[
Sent AOS Packet: July 8, 2009
NOAs for AP and EAD: July 23, 2009
NOA for AOS: July 27, 2009
Biometrics date for my K2: Aug 22, 2009
Biometrics for me: Aug 20, 2009
Notice date for biometrics: July 31 and Aug 4, 2009
RFE received and AOS resumed: Sept 3, 2009
AP and EAD approved: October 22, 2009 (MY BIRTHDAY!)
AP approval notice received in the mail: Oct 25, 2009
EAD approval notice mailed: Oct 28, 2009

LIFTING CONDITIONS:
APPROVED FOR BOTH me and my daughter: 3/12/2012

NATURALIZATION:
Filed: 9/13/2012
I797C: 9/17/2012
Interview: 1/3/2013
Oath: 2/13/2013

IR5 (MOM)

NOA1: February 27, 2013

NOA2: November 19, 2013

NVC Received: Dec 19, 2013 but assigned an SDO case number

NVC changed case number to MNL: 1/23/2014

Paid AOS fee: 1/25/14

IV Invoice via email: 1/30/14

Paid IV: 1/30/14

CASE COMPLETE: 3/7/14

NVC Schedule: 4/10/2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yes, absolutely. My wife got hers 16 hours after arriving (the number, the card took 6 days to arrive) Go to the SS office, show your passport and visa, fill out the form, get the SSN.

DO NOT try to get the card in her married name (if she will change it) Apply for the card exactly as her name in the passport and visa reads. Change her name after you get the green card if she wants to. DO NOT take "no" for an answer. There is an SSN guide here from the SS administration. Print it and take it with you so you can train them if necessary. Ask for a supervisor if necessary.

Yes. Just take your B.C. and passport with the I-94 attatched, and visit your local SSA office.

I just got here last monday and will get married today. Is that fine?

Yes, apply for the card in your maiden name as in the passport. Change it later.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It takes about 2 weeks after entering the country for you to get in the SS office computer system. So any time between two weeks after entering and before your I94 expires (90 days after entry), you can apply for a SSN.

Timeline
when you get your AOS i know you can. for your EAD and stuff i know you can, but for a k-1 i dont think you can. When you get the green card, or EAD, (permission to work), you can go to the SS office and pretty much show the paperwork as to 'why'/ what qualifies you for a SS#, and your pretty much home free, but a k-1, even though you are halfway through the process, you still dont have the green card, and i dont think you can get the SS#, until you get a greencard or EAD, which is when you complete the k-1 stuff and send in your AOS.

This is not correct. K-1 IS eligible for a SSN from day 1 (arrival) until 14 days before the I-94 expires. (day 76) If the I-94 expires (or is withing 14 days of expiring) then you must wait until you have your EAD or Green Card

Gary And Alla

Timeline
It takes about 2 weeks after entering the country for you to get in the SS office computer system. So any time between two weeks after entering and before your I94 expires (90 days after entry), you can apply for a SSN.

Waiting two weeks is OK, but not necessary. You must be entered into the DHS "SAVE" system for legal entries into the USA. This system updates every night. If you arrive today, though technically legal to go straight to the SS office, they will not have your entry in "the system" until tomorrow. VJs very conservative guides (and conservative is "good" in this process) recommend waiting two weeks. Unless there is some sort of computer crash, you should be able to get an SSN the next day. My wife did.

Gary And Alla

I know this isn't related, but I just wanted to say, Gary, you give the best advice, and you always know what you're talking about.

I'm saving this thread for my future reference!

Our naturalization timeline
1/12/2015 - Application sent to Phoenix service center by USPS priority mail

1/14/2015 - Package received in Phoenix

1/16/2015 - NOA date (hard copy received 1/22)

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

2/11/2015 - In line for interview

3/28/2015 - Hard copy interview notice received

4/29/2015 - Interview at Chicago field office - Approved!!!

5/22/2015 - Oath ceremony - Now a US citizen!!!!!!

Thank you, VisaJourney!!!!!

"Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love... It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."- Anonymous

an1cHsK0g000610MTNsc3wxMDAwOTk4c2F8V2Uga

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Many people here have had no problem getting their SSN in their married name. My husband and I married two days after I entered on my K-1. I took my passport, birth certificate and marriage certificate to the SSA office and got mine in my married name.

~ Catherine

Filed: Timeline
Waiting two weeks is OK, but not necessary. You must be entered into the DHS "SAVE" system for legal entries into the USA. This system updates every night. If you arrive today, though technically legal to go straight to the SS office, they will not have your entry in "the system" until tomorrow. VJs very conservative guides (and conservative is "good" in this process) recommend waiting two weeks. Unless there is some sort of computer crash, you should be able to get an SSN the next day. My wife did.

The system might update every night, but the info has to be entered first. The POE has to send the part of the I-94 they keep to a contractor in I believe Kentucky and I don't think all POE send them every day. Wait the 10 days just to be on the safe side. The SSA office is supposed to wait to the 10th day and try to again verify your status if you apply before the 10th day and don't verify, but not all do.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just make sure you apply for the SSN before the 90 days (after arrival in the USA) is up. We waited until after the 90 days were up (i.e. during AOS) & were told that since the I-94 had expired we would have to wait for the green card (or EAD) to reapply. They also asked for the marriage license, which makes me wonder if you can apply "on day 1" like others have said (you wouldn't have a marriage license on day 1).

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

I suggest waiting 2 weeks to be sure you are entered into the system and then go to the SSN office. No need to have the EAD or AOS approval if on a K-1 visa. This is what my wife did and had no problems getting the SSN. Just check that your name is spelled correctly on the I-94 where the POE immigration officer wrote it and then stapled the I-94 onto a page in your passport. My wife had that problem and she did not show in the system. The SSN office afrter 2 attempts and separate visits to the SSN office noticed the mis-spelling and entered it as it was on the I-94 and "BOOM" there she was! Good luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

Okay luck-e and Kookie :), bottom line is K-1 visa holder is eligible for an SSN. My fiancee got hers two weeks after she arrived here, just take your I-94 and your passport with you.

You will need your marriage license only to change your name. As you already got married yesterday (congrats!) you will want to have an offical copy of your marriage license with you when you go - no sense in going twice.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.