emmieme

U.S citizen l

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello,

I am a U.S citizen and my fiance is a U.K citizen. We have been living in Spain for the past two years. We have just started the K-1 visa application. I have just bought my plane ticket to go back to the U.S so he can met me there once the K-1 is processed.

I have overstayed my Europe visa waiver for 2 years so that my fiance and I could be together. I am concerned that I will have trouble with the Spanish immigration at the airport when I try to leave because I have no proof or stamps in my passport of leaving Europe or of an extension.

Can anyone advise me what kind of trouble I should expect when encontering the Spanish immigration when I try to return back to the U.S? Could I be fined or denid from getting on my flight if I am leaving?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Emily.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Have you considered seeing whether the U.S. embassy in Spain has any insights? They might at least be able to refer you to where you might find the answers.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Found this tidbit on a quick google:

Supposedly they can fine you for overstaying, but, again, I don’t know of anyone who has had to pay a fine. I was actually caught once when leaving Spain. I had been in the country for almost two years, and the US Airways security representative was the one who noticed it on my passport. She brought over the police, they questioned me for a while, and I basically just said, “Yes, I know I stayed too long, but I’m leaving now...” And they let me go.

Throwing you out on the spot is what could happen, but I would expect that only a small number of travellers are actually caught and deported.

with the new travel laws in spain , it getting like Usa so will show up , Eu are gear up for bigger fines and with the usa make visa mantory again next year the Eu are gear up for it with uk and Ireland now asking for passager info off flights companys it tight up again spain start this last year

and someone returning after "overstaying" to Spain:

Hello again,

My girlfriend made it without a problem. The immigration officer opened her passport, stamped it, closed it. All good! Life in Spain continues without a glitch.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Hello,

I am a U.S citizen and my fiance is a U.K citizen. We have been living in Spain for the past two years. We have just started the K-1 visa application. I have just bought my plane ticket to go back to the U.S so he can met me there once the K-1 is processed.

I have overstayed my Europe visa waiver for 2 years so that my fiance and I could be together. I am concerned that I will have trouble with the Spanish immigration at the airport when I try to leave because I have no proof or stamps in my passport of leaving Europe or of an extension.

Can anyone advise me what kind of trouble I should expect when encontering the Spanish immigration when I try to return back to the U.S? Could I be fined or denid from getting on my flight if I am leaving?

Emily.

US citizens have a lot of freedoms in the EU. I doubt they will be able to tell that you overstayed. 1/2 the time I travel in Europe, my passport isn't even stamped.

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello,

Emily.

US citizens have a lot of freedoms in the EU. I doubt they will be able to tell that you overstayed. 1/2 the time I travel in Europe, my passport isn't even stamped.

Stamping passports is going the way of the dodo. Rest assured, your entries and exits are being recorded electronically.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I concur with the stamp in the passport being like the dodo. I have been back and forth between Canada

and the states at least ten times in the last 1.5 years. The one and only time it was stamped was in

December 2007. But the last time I went down for 6 months in January - the officer called up my "record"

knew exactly when I came and left and also looked up our Immigration online, without our application #.

So they have access for sure, it's just stamped in our passports. Big Brother, Big Sister and Aunt Theresa

are all in the know of what we do, lol.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline
Hello,

Emily.

:yes:

GOD is Good,GOD is Great,GOD is Awesome!

*K1*(process time 7months & 13days)*

12.11.2007 -Filed I-129F

07.24.2008 -VISA interview. APPROVED!!!

*AOS*(process time 7months & 5days)*

11.26.2008 -Filed AOS,EAD,AP

02.09.2009- AP Received

03.20.2009-EAD Received

07.09.2009-2Year Green Card Received

*ROC*(process time 3months & 18days)*

04.04.2011-Filed ROC(I-751)

07.28.2011-10 Year GC Received

*NATURALIZATION*(process time 4months & 27days)*

04/02/2014- Filed N-400

07/08/14-Interview (Recommended for Approval)

08/29/2014-Oath Ceremony

as1cCDkFg000010OXNsenwxNjA0emx8V2UgaGF2Z

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.