10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We are sending out our I-129f this week, and are trying to plan out wedding stuff for next year.

We obviously will be married within the 90 days or the Visa approval,

and were thinking that June, 2010 would be ok to do a reception here in the States.

However, I understand that the beneficiary cannot leave the States until the AOS is processed.

We are trying to plan out when a good time for our reception in the UK would be.

Thoughts as to how long it will take to receive approval and AOS?

Trying to play it on the safe side.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
We are sending out our I-129f this week, and are trying to plan out wedding stuff for next year.

and were thinking that June, 2010 would be ok to do a reception here in the States.

However, I understand that the beneficiary cannot leave the States until the AOS is processed.

We are trying to plan out when a good time for our reception in the UK would be.

Don't make any plans that require a non-refundable deposit of money. The USCIS, nor the consulate will rush a visa because you foolishly laid out money.

That said OUR case took almost exactly 10 months from filing petition to Green Card in hand (The AP came about a week before the green card, FWIW)

We could have compressed that another 2 months, but for our own personal considerations...on the other hand...we got our NOA2 in 58 days...VERY fast, and Kiev is relatively fast in making appointments, much faster than London from what I read here. And we got our Green cards 2 months after filing AOS, again very fast. So deduct for our personal considerations but add for the "average time" and you get a "ballpark figure" ....you might want to consider 1 year from petition to Green card. That assumes no delays, no AP, no RFEs, etc. Basically a meaningless estmate, isn't it? Sorry. It is the part you have no control over. Best to plan on putting your life on hold and responding "on demand" to the USCIS and State Department. Make your plans "on the other side" is the best advice.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Don't make any plans that require a non-refundable deposit of money. The USCIS, nor the consulate will rush a visa because you foolishly laid out money.

That said OUR case took almost exactly 10 months from filing petition to Green Card in hand (The AP came about a week before the green card, FWIW)

We could have compressed that another 2 months, but for our own personal considerations...on the other hand...we got our NOA2 in 58 days...VERY fast, and Kiev is relatively fast in making appointments, much faster than London from what I read here. And we got our Green cards 2 months after filing AOS, again very fast. So deduct for our personal considerations but add for the "average time" and you get a "ballpark figure" ....you might want to consider 1 year from petition to Green card. That assumes no delays, no AP, no RFEs, etc. Basically a meaningless estmate, isn't it? Sorry. It is the part you have no control over. Best to plan on putting your life on hold and responding "on demand" to the USCIS and State Department. Make your plans "on the other side" is the best advice.

Ditto on the plans and deposits. We are five months into the process stateside, and I wouldn't even guess at how long USCIS will take to complete the AOS. We figure eight or nine months, but anything can happen.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

You can leave before the AOS is processed. Apply for the AP (I-131) when you send in the AOS and you will get that usually before they finish the AOS.

With the AP, the person is free to travel.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

I sometimes advocate for planning, but Gary's words are key "NON-REFUNDABLE" deposits aren't smart - especially if they lock you in to a specific date - like airline tickets. Putting down deposits but with the ability to be flexible with the date are OK in my book. However, I really can't see that a reception needs more planning than 4 or 5 months, and once you get your visa, that's the soonest I would really plan on having AP. That takes maybe 3 months... AFTER you enter, marry, file for AOS (+AP). Once you get to 3 months after your wedding, what's a few more? I'd relax and not even start planning the UK reception until after you have the AP.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The timeline for processing the AOS is unpredictable, it goes from a couple of months to over a year, some cases take even longer. Average is around 6 months perhaps? But like others said, I wouldn't make any plans with fixed date or that you put non-refundable payment down.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Again, I agree with above. Non refundable things are never good when it comes to waiting on USCIS. As Bobby said, you can get AP (advanced parol) but again you cannot know for sure how long that would take.

If you really really want to make plans though, why dont you make your UK reception on your first wedding anniversary. That way you are giving yourself quite a lot of time to get the GC and the date will be meaningful. I really dont think it would be smart to plan on doing it earlier than a year.

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

1. the London embassy will work within reason to accomidate flight and wedding schedules (at least they did a year or so ago).

2. Don't plan anything in the UK until you are here and have filed for AOS. AP usually takes 3 months, but you could get unlucky like Gary and take longer. AOS is extremely variable. Some people who filed when we did got their GC in 3 months without an interview. We filed in September, interviewed in Feb, were put on FBI name checks (which they have sort of fixed now) and got the green card in July. there were some individuals who were stuck in name checks for 3+ years on here for a while.

Honestly, don't bother to plan anything stateside or in the UK if you haven't even sent off your petition. Wait till you have been approved for NOA2 before you even start putting deposits down.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

not what i wanted to hear, but honest and true..

thanks all!!

guess we will pick things out, and just not book them yet.

Immigration sucks! lol

No it doesn't!

That is how your bringing your loved one here to the US!

Could be a bit faster and easier though... :thumbs:

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.