ken86

Divorce before green card issue

4 posts in this topic

Embassy called me up today to submit my passport and they might issue me the visa...CR1...well on the other side, me and my wife been fighting and we are almost on the verge of divorce..and iam very confused..if i get my visa and i go to US and we got into divorce before issuance of green card....so what will happen to my status..iam very worried about that...

please help me..im worried

thanks

My Timeline

14/07/2007----Met at Cousins Party (Notre dame, Indiana)

15/07/2007----Started talking (Exchange phone numbers)

31/08/2007----went back to India (For Family Issues)

2/10/2007---- Came Back to USA (Started living together)

12/12/2007----MARRIED in INDIANA,USA

07/03/2008----Gone to India (family Issues) Coudnt go back to USA Visa got finished!!!

23/08/2008---- My wife came to india (stayed 3 months)

24/11/2008----Applied DCF in New Delhi Embassy----GOT APPROVED same DAY got Packet 3.5 by hand

03/12/2008----Wife went back to USA

17/12/2008----Submit all documents @ VFS jullundher Packet 3.5

28/01/2009----Got interview date Packet 4: Feb 6th

29/01/2009----Went for medical

02/02/2009----GOT medical Report!! (all Fine)

06/02/2009---- INTERVIEW!!!! RECIVED 221g REQUSTING TO SUBMIT MORE DOCUMENTS with PASSPORT

28/02/2009---- Submitted 221g Documents with passport

18/03/2009---- Got passport without visa stamped on it

19/03/2009---- Called DOS and they said embassy is asking for my daughter's Birth cetificate and Passport

01/04/2009---- 1 month of AP!! - NO NEWS--- from embassy---called DOS No news---_STILL WAITING FOR ANOTHER 221g FROM EMBASSY!!!!!!

STILL UNDER AP!!!!! very Frustated

07/04/2009---- Case tranfered to FPU(fraud prevention unit)

15/06/2009---- Embassy asked me to submit my passport-----confused??

22/06/2009---- Got Visa in Hand

10/07/2009---- POE Denver!

CR-1, if issued, will provide you with a greencard (usually temp, you get the permanent one once in the states). However, if you get a divorce prior to the issuance of the visa, that probably will cancel the visa (since you need to be married)

Perhaps you can work it out with your wife when you get to the states?

Or, if you believe divorce is the only answer, you may want to consider to stay in your country.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Embassy called me up today to submit my passport and they might issue me the visa...CR1...well on the other side, me and my wife been fighting and we are almost on the verge of divorce..and iam very confused..if i get my visa and i go to US and we got into divorce before issuance of green card....so what will happen to my status..iam very worried about that...

please help me..im worried

thanks

If you get divorced, what's the point of coming to the US? You won't have a wife or a home waiting for you here.

I can understand when someone has spent some time here with their US citizen spouse, and they've built a life for themselves here. When the marriage breaks up they don't want to throw away that life and start over again in their home country.

I DON'T understand when someone hasn't even come to the US yet, and their relationship is falling apart, and they seem more concerned with how it will affect their chances to come and stay in the US. I can't help but feel that immigration to the US was the primary motive for the relationship.

I hope you can understand this, ken. Your question makes it sound like you scammed your wife for a visa and a green card, and now you're afraid you aren't going to get it. Most people would think you'd only be concerned about your marriage falling apart.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

go get that visa, then you can figure out what is going on between you and your wife.

if you enter usa before 12/12/09 you will have a conditional GC. If your marriage does not last, you may likely lose this conditional GC 2 years later.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.