20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My husband just lost his job, and I still haven't been able to find work. Husband is applying for unemployment, and we were just looking at food stamps. When we were applying it mentioned "I or someone in my household is a sponsored alien" I am a 10yr Green Card holder and when I came here on the K-1 visa I did have a sponsor. Does the sponsor continue to hold throughout my life as a Green Card holder? Does this mean my husband can't apply for food stamps for the household?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
My husband just lost his job, and I still haven't been able to find work. Husband is applying for unemployment, and we were just looking at food stamps. When we were applying it mentioned "I or someone in my household is a sponsored alien" I am a 10yr Green Card holder and when I came here on the K-1 visa I did have a sponsor. Does the sponsor continue to hold throughout my life as a Green Card holder? Does this mean my husband can't apply for food stamps for the household?

The sponsorship is binding until you either become a US citizen, or you've held a job for 40 quarters (a quarter is 1/4 of a year, or 3 months). A little quick math will tell you that 40 quarters is 10 years. The quarters don't have to be consecutive (there can be gaps), but they must total 40 quarters. If you haven't cleared this hurdle, and you collect means tested benefits like food stamps, then your sponsor can be sued by the government to repay what you collect.

To further complicate matters, your sponsor's income can be considered along with your income in determining your eligibility to receive benefits.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ok thanks lucky I didn't submit the form online. I do have a question regarding unemployment my husband can apply for that for himself correct this shouldn't mess anything with sponsorship?

Timeline
Ok thanks lucky I didn't submit the form online. I do have a question regarding unemployment my husband can apply for that for himself correct this shouldn't mess anything with sponsorship?

Technically, this is up to each state, since states manages unemployment benefits. However, I'm not aware of any state that considers unemployment to be a "means tested benefit", since it's usually paid for out of an insurance fund that employers must contribute to. Your husband collecting unemployment should not have any affect on your immigration status or your sponsor.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Your husband can apply for Food Stamps for the house. You will be counted into his income factor, but you cannot receive credit for the benefits. They will calculate the household total of people, but will only give enough food stamps for him and his children.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Unemployement can be collected too.

The GC holder can collect unemployement beneifts too if you meet the required guidelines of working hours. This is something that is payed by the employer.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Timeline
Your husband can apply for Food Stamps for the house. You will be counted into his income factor, but you cannot receive credit for the benefits. They will calculate the household total of people, but will only give enough food stamps for him and his children.

Thanks for that info! I wasn't aware they could slice up the benefits that way. :thumbs:

Filed: Timeline

Aliens are only statutorily ineligible for federal means-tested benefits for the first 5 years after the receive permanent residence. You adjustd status in July 2004, that means after July 2009 you would not be found ineligible.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline
Aliens are only statutorily ineligible for federal means-tested benefits for the first 5 years after the receive permanent residence. You adjustd status in July 2004, that means after July 2009 you would not be found ineligible.

That's not the problem. The problem is her sponsor. I assume the primary sponsor is her husband. The sponsor can be held liable if she collects any means tested benefits before she either becomes a citizen or accrues 40 quarters of work credits. Assuming she began working as soon as she was able, and she worked continuously since then, it would take 10 years to accrue all of the necessary credits. She may be eligible to receive benefits, but her husband can also be held liable for paying the government for those benefits. The terms are spelled out in the I-864 he filed on her behalf. If her husband had a co-sponsor, then the co-sponsor is also liable. Under the terms of outlined by the Social Security Administration, her sponsor and co-sponsor's income can be considered when determining her eligibility for benefits because they have a legal obligation to support her.

That's not the problem. The problem is her sponsor. I assume the primary sponsor is her husband. The sponsor can be held liable if she collects any means tested benefits before she either becomes a citizen or accrues 40 quarters of work credits. Assuming she began working as soon as she was able, and she worked continuously since then, it would take 10 years to accrue all of the necessary credits. She may be eligible to receive benefits, but her husband can also be held liable for paying the government for those benefits. The terms are spelled out in the I-864 he filed on her behalf. If her husband had a co-sponsor, then the co-sponsor is also liable. Under the terms of outlined by the Social Security Administration, her sponsor and co-sponsor's income can be considered when determining her eligibility for benefits because they have a legal obligation to support her.

JimVaPhuong,

There are two issues here. One is elgibility, and on that note I declared that the OP might indeed become eligible shortly. The other issue is whether the sponsor *would* be held liable to repay should the agency seek recovery.

However, I feel I must correct your statement above. Why do you declare that the OP would have to work the equivalent of 10 years in order to accrue the necessary credits? It *can* be done in 5 years.

"diaddie mermaid"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, the necessary credits can be accrued in 5 years - with both spouses working and having contributable earnings. They can share the credits so 10 years becomes 5.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
JimVaPhuong,

There are two issues here. One is elgibility, and on that note I declared that the OP might indeed become eligible shortly. The other issue is whether the sponsor *would* be held liable to repay should the agency seek recovery.

However, I feel I must correct your statement above. Why do you declare that the OP would have to work the equivalent of 10 years in order to accrue the necessary credits? It *can* be done in 5 years.

Thanks for the clarification.

I read in the I-864 instructions that "in certain cases the work of a spouse or parent adds qualifying quarters", but I couldn't find an adequate explanation of what it meant. I assumed, since it said "certain cases" that it probably didn't apply in most cases.

So, under what conditions does the husband's work contribute the work credits of the beneficiary?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

take a look on SSA's site, that's where they say how you can earn 40 credits while including your spouses income or something. i've read it before, its on there, maybe tomorrow i will find it if no one else does.

Edited by wowswift

If married to a USC spouse, the USC spouse's eligible credits are contributed to the alien's quarters.

JimVaPhuong,

Thanks for the clarification.

I read in the I-864 instructions that "in certain cases the work of a spouse or parent adds qualifying quarters", but I couldn't find an adequate explanation of what it meant. I assumed, since it said "certain cases" that it probably didn't apply in most cases.

So, under what conditions does the husband's work contribute the work credits of the beneficiary?

"diaddie mermaid"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.