LaGreenEyes

Hubby still has only old SS card with "restrictions"

10 posts in this topic

Should we go down there and ask for a new one? He's got the I-551 stamp in his passport and 10 year GC should be on the way.. I was thinking just to be on the safe side..

Edited by LaGreenEyes

panama17xu.gif texas19sn.gif

pequen4io.jpg

Married January 18, 2006

08 JUN 2006.....AP document recieved :)

09 JUN 2006.....regular EAD approval

14 JUN 2006.....regular EAD recieved in mail

22 JUL 2006......AOS and EAD (?) touched...moving along maybe? :)

21 AUG 2006....Recieved interview letter!

26 SEP 2006.....INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!

26 SEP 2006.....APPROVED WITH FLYING COLORS!

05 OCT 2006....Welcome letter recieved

11 OCT 2006....THE CARD ARRIVES!!!!!!!!!!

15 SEP 2008.....Sent for removal of conditions

24 SEP 2008.....NOA for removal of conditions

10 MAR 2009....Transferred from VSC to CSC

22 MAY 2009.....REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS APPROVED!!!!!! :) Citizenship here we come!

Pretty sure you should wait to go to the SS office when you get the 10 year card. Congrats on your approval though!

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

You can go to SSA now. We did the week my hubby got his 2 year green card. In about 2 weeks he got his new SSCard without the "DHS authorization" stuff. Once he gets citizenship, we will go back to SSA to update his status (LPRs and UCs have different SS benefits).

Correction: it may be best to wait until the 10 year card arrives. If this extension letter is near expiration the people at SSA might give you a hard time.

Edited by reeses16

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you have the I-551 stamp in your passport that is as good as a Greencard, Yes you should go and update your SSN to remove the restriction. This should have been done when you were first approved for your Greencard.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
If you have the I-551 stamp in your passport that is as good as a Greencard, Yes you should go and update your SSN to remove the restriction. This should have been done when you were first approved for your Greencard.

except the I-551 stamp has an expiration date... OP doesn't indicate when it was stamped in the passport... without a valid GC (or stamp) in your possession you need to wait until you do

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

I never got a new card either. Mine still says "with DHS authorization". I figure I'll just wait until I get my 10 year green card ... it'll be a while yet :)

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
I never got a new card either. Mine still says "with DHS authorization". I figure I'll just wait until I get my 10 year green card ... it'll be a while yet :)

Same here.

I keep on postponing it - I really have no desire to go see the SS office people ;)

View my Timeline

R.I.P. Diana

1982 - 2008

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I believe you are meant to update SS everytime your status changes. Therefore you should update them once you get your greencard (thats the first greencard) and again if you naturalize. Do It.

Infact I can't se why people risk anything with US government agencies by not following instructions. Just because you don't want to deal with SS office people? Get it done and get it over with.

Edited by fozzie

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

You are right fozzie, it would be best to keep everything updated to always be on the safe side.

I did not mean to express that people should not update their cards/status/records.

The instructions say "you should update your records", not you must, I believe.

Personally, I am really just not worried about that little phrase on the card.

And yes, as silly as it sounds, I did/do not feel like dealing with the SS office people (it was such a pain to get the darn thing in the first place, I had no desire to return). But I will do it eventually once my 10year GC arrives (recently moved - new office, maybe I will have more luck here).

View my Timeline

R.I.P. Diana

1982 - 2008

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

except the I-551 stamp has an expiration date... OP doesn't indicate when it was stamped in the passport... without a valid GC (or stamp) in your possession you need to wait until you do

yes definitely theres an expiration on the stamp, so you mean without the hard copy GC we shouldnt go back to ssa for removal of that restriction status?

------------------------

K-1

Jan 2008 - application was sent back to us due to mis sent to Chicago instead of California

Jan - sent application

Jun 27 - NOA2 by the mailbox!!! (found out that d 2nd touch was d approval..sweet!)

Jul 3 - NVC sent letter to petitioner

Jul 15 - confirmation letter received (tnk u my dear DHL)

Jul 17- 1st day - medical exam SLEC (on hold and waiting for it to be done successfully) July 31- PASSED!

Aug 28 - USEM interview date! (eto' na!) - PASSED - PINK SLIP ONLY!

Sept 26 - PAL departure - MNL-LAX

NOV 23 - Church wedding

AOS

Jan 30 2009 - AOS with EAD and AP submitted to Chi, IL

Feb 4 - check cleared

Feb 10 - AOS, EAD, AP NOA1 received!

Feb 19 - Biometric appointment letter received

Feb 28 - Biometrics schedule

Mar 28 - AP and interview invitation received by mail

Apr 2 - EAD card recieved

May 15 - Interview Schedule - APPROVED!

Jun 25 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED ON MAIL Dated June 16

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.