02lil_latina

abused by a US citizen, can he be granted a green card even though he is divorced?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am in need of some information and fast! ^_^

My friend was married to a US CITIZEN and they had a child (child came before marriage). They filed for his green card and what not, and were married for 4 or 5 years.

Now the situation is kinda weird so listen close...the woman he was married to began to physically and mentally abuse him and then she would pick up and leave when he was at work and when she did this she would literally pack all her clothes and the baby's clothes and leave!!! she would also threaten him with their daughter (the baby was born prematurely at 6.5 mos-baby had heart prob. etc. and had to stay at hospital 2 hr away), she would tell him that she was going to kill her or (while the baby was still at the hospital) she would say "i hope she dies" and would often refuse to go and give breast milk to the baby and he would beg and beg for her to do so and finally b/c someone else would step in she would. Nov. 05 she packed up and told him that her aunt sent a plane ticket for her and the baby and that she wanted him to take her to the airport that same day-she had not even mentioned a visit, or even that she would be leaving until that day! She had done this numerous of times(she would get bored and just run off and then when she was bored out there she would call him to bring her back) and while she was in Caly she would call him for money and he would send it. Well after about 2 mos (she would call almost every day saying she loved him) she calls and says she wants to come home....now the deal is her cousin and aunt here in arkansas call him and tell him that it would be his biggest mistake ever b/c she told them that she is pregnant! now he is confused, so why not bring her back you ask?....b/c she was 1 mo. pregnant!

So then he told her that he was not going to bring her back that she needed to stay with her mom or aunt in Caly b/c she had messed up. He new then that she was never going to change and that being with her he could do nothing to help his daughter so he kept sending money and calling. After about 4 more mos. she came back to AR with her aunt that told him about her situation. she wanted to take care of her and make her take care of the little girl. all in all she taught the little girl to steal from Walmart and got caught and had the little girl taken from her for some unknown reason; this is when he decided to fight for custody and a divorce. He Won!

so knowing all the above, what i am asking is ... can he still get his green card/work permit?

he was pending

and then recieved a letter stating they have a number

and that he needs to send 400 dollars and something about an affidavit of support

Help Me Help him and his daughter please!

"Mejor tarde que nunca"

"Better Late than never"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I am in need of some information and fast! ^_^

My friend was married to a US CITIZEN and they had a child (child came before marriage). They filed for his green card and what not, and were married for 4 or 5 years.

Now the situation is kinda weird so listen close...the woman he was married to began to physically and mentally abuse him and then she would pick up and leave when he was at work and when she did this she would literally pack all her clothes and the baby's clothes and leave!!! she would also threaten him with their daughter (the baby was born prematurely at 6.5 mos-baby had heart prob. etc. and had to stay at hospital 2 hr away), she would tell him that she was going to kill her or (while the baby was still at the hospital) she would say "i hope she dies" and would often refuse to go and give breast milk to the baby and he would beg and beg for her to do so and finally b/c someone else would step in she would. Nov. 05 she packed up and told him that her aunt sent a plane ticket for her and the baby and that she wanted him to take her to the airport that same day-she had not even mentioned a visit, or even that she would be leaving until that day! She had done this numerous of times(she would get bored and just run off and then when she was bored out there she would call him to bring her back) and while she was in Caly she would call him for money and he would send it. Well after about 2 mos (she would call almost every day saying she loved him) she calls and says she wants to come home....now the deal is her cousin and aunt here in arkansas call him and tell him that it would be his biggest mistake ever b/c she told them that she is pregnant! now he is confused, so why not bring her back you ask?....b/c she was 1 mo. pregnant!

So then he told her that he was not going to bring her back that she needed to stay with her mom or aunt in Caly b/c she had messed up. He new then that she was never going to change and that being with her he could do nothing to help his daughter so he kept sending money and calling. After about 4 more mos. she came back to AR with her aunt that told him about her situation. she wanted to take care of her and make her take care of the little girl. all in all she taught the little girl to steal from Walmart and got caught and had the little girl taken from her for some unknown reason; this is when he decided to fight for custody and a divorce. He Won!

so knowing all the above, what i am asking is ... can he still get his green card/work permit?

he was pending

and then recieved a letter stating they have a number

and that he needs to send 400 dollars and something about an affidavit of support

Help Me Help him and his daughter please!

So THAT's who married my ex-wife!!

If he was married this long he should have an unconditional green card. What's the probem? I don't understand. After two years he should have had consitions lifted and be on his own.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

If he was married this long he should have an unconditional green card. What's the probem? I don't understand. After two years he should have had consitions lifted and be on his own.

this is what i dont understand! I asked him what went wrong and he doesnt know. I know he should have recieved a work permit at least 90 days after his initial application. he has nothing! just the paper stating they have a "number" for him, along with the other that states that his petition has been approved. i believe that it was the lawyer that was filing the paperwork.

what should i tell him to do?

"Mejor tarde que nunca"

"Better Late than never"

this is what i dont understand! I asked him what went wrong and he doesnt know. I know he should have recieved a work permit at least 90 days after his initial application. he has nothing! just the paper stating they have a "number" for him, along with the other that states that his petition has been approved. i believe that it was the lawyer that was filing the paperwork.

Can he ask his lawyer about it?

I believe that the marriage was entered in good faith and that's what's important. It was just the woman who seemed to lose her mind. If he has a lawyer, I'm pretty sure they can help him about it.

Feb 07 - met my Dream Guy

Jun 08 - arrived in the US

Jul 08 - ♥♥♥ WEDDING DAY ♥♥♥

Jul 09 - Temp GC received

Mar 12 - 10 yr GC received

Aug 13 - Naturalized

Timeline

I believe that the marriage was entered in good faith and that's what's important. It was just the woman who seemed to lose her mind. If he has a lawyer, I'm pretty sure they can help him about it.

I know that he can, because he has but the problem is I dont want him to cheated again...these last years of fighting for a green card; the lawyer states that he will charge 4,000 to file a petition or adjustment of status(not sure what) and also for his permission to work. Just want to know if this is reasonable and will he really be able to help or is this just a fast way to make "easy money"? :wacko:

"Mejor tarde que nunca"

"Better Late than never"

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

The legal fees for filing for AOS file are no more than $1100, the rest til $4000 is the lawyer's comission and there is NO guarantee that he will get his GC. The lawyer can help but the GC is up to the Immigration. He has a strong case and as long as he entered the marriage in good faith , there should be no problems.

Sorry if I missed: are they stil married? If yes, than she should petition for him, wife being the USC, if not married anymore...hmm...not sute how he can do it. I hope someone with more experience will post here for you. Yea, I just saw they are divorced now. Well...good luck.

I know that he can, because he has but the problem is I dont want him to cheated again...these last years of fighting for a green card; the lawyer states that he will charge 4,000 to file a petition or adjustment of status(not sure what) and also for his permission to work. Just want to know if this is reasonable and will he really be able to help or is this just a fast way to make "easy money"? :wacko:

D and T

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.