BowieChick

How much stuff did/are you shipping from UK to US?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I was looking through the forums at the topics about shipping your belongings and am seeing that many people were saying about £400 or more. You are mentioning the measurements but that's all stuff that my brain doesn't want to figure out right now. We just kind of want to know how much you spent and for how much stuff. Not measurements of boxes, but what kind of items did you ship?

Isaac just has a couple guitars and those are the largest items then he has books and stuff like that. Everything else, like most of his clothing, can be just brought on the plane with him.

The prices I am seeing you lot have paid just kind of scare us a little but I don't know if you guys were shipping a whole bunch of stuff or what. Ahh!

Timeline:

February 12, 2009 - K1 petition sent.

February 18, 2009 - Petition recieved at CSC.

February 24, 2009 - Received NOA1.

April 6, 2009 - Received NOA2!

April 24, 2009 - Packet 3 in the mail.

September 7, 2009 - Medical

September 16, 2009 - Interview date at London Embassy

Forgot to have letter of intent notarized, stalling time for a bit.

October 28, 2009 - Visa in his hands!!

March 19, 2010 - First time seeing each other since Oct. '08!!

May 9, 2010 - Married!

June, 2010 - Preparing AoS packet

June 23, 2010 - Sent off AoS and EAD!

June 25, 2010 - Package arrived in Chicago

July 2, 2010 - Check cashed

July 5, 2010 - NOA1 for both AoS and EAD

July 15, 2010 - Biometrics scheduled for August 6th

July 27, 2010 - RFE :(

August 6, 2010 - Biometrics in Portland, Oregon

Tumblr

We had 20 boxes of stuff -- one bike-sized box, 2 very large boxes, 2 large boxes, 8 medium and 7 small. However, since we were moving back together and had set up a home in the UK, we may have had more stuff than most. We did not ship any furniture except for two small lamps and a number of framed pictures. Mostly it was books, CDs, vintage hi-fi, LPs, clothes and shoes and kitchenware I was attached to. There were two guitars in the shipped items, and we also had another brought onboard the plane.

We used Excess Baggage and were really impressed with their service.:)

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Books are heavy = expensive.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I shipped 7 big boxes via UPS. Very quick and easy and I think it was 4 days door to dsoor. Lots of ####### that I didn't need in the end really...CDs...personal bit n bobs...a few books (sold 500 before I left!)...clothes...stuff that I just couldn't get rid of...no furniture. In the end I could have been more ruthless and only brought 3-4 boxes but that's how it was at the time.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

I am shipping 7 cartons: 1 bike size, 2 very large cartons, 2 medium and 2 small (book/cd size carton) with excessbaggage.com.....I paid approx £500 including insurance.....storage over 4 weeks is extra, so I will pay approx £77 on top of that next week for one months extra storage. I am going on June 26th, so the plan is for them to release my stuff in a week as they say the fastest it can take is 3 weeks to ship by sea, and there are penalty fees US side if your stuff arrives before you do! I'm hoping iit arrives pretty soon after we get there but I am told its generally 6-8 weeks, how long has anyone else waited?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

For me I bought a second suitcase and have been loading a lot of items with me the last two times I have visited my Fiancee, which mean a lot to me ( special limited edition dvd box sets and things ) that i can fit in there with small personal items that I don't want to leave behind. I am being quite ruthless and not taking any furniture or items like that. Ebay is a big help at the moment and helping to filter down what I really want to take with me on my final flight.

That and the fact I have two relatives who will be attending the wedding and will be taking an extra suitcase with them too. :)

So. Basically my life will be in 4 suitcases. KLM who I have flown with many times allow two bags each at 24Kg and I haven't had to pay an extra penny ! If you do decide to do something similar to this get some good solid hard shell suitcases. My american tourister's look like they have been off loaded from the aircraft before the blummin planes landed but the contents are unmarked. And that includes crystal bowl, a couple of ceramic plates and glass bottles * my darling loves Cherry B :) and not a single item has suffered for the journey.

then again I am blummin good at packing :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I fly with continental and have a Silver membership. So i get 32kg in each bag. And I am allowed 2 plus hand luggage.

I am still struggling to find a good quote.

GB liners quoted me 650 Pounds= 50 cubic feet

I can probably shift most of it when my fiancee comes to visit and he can take some of the items back. But some of it is going to be harder to move. I am going to check with excess baggage but these shipping companies are really getting to me now. Their prices are seriously OTT.

12/31/2009 - Married

01/08/2010- Mailed in AOS

01/13/2010- AOS received and sent back due to missing signature

01/22/2010- AOS arrives back at my house, signed, sent off again

01/27/2010- Receipt number given, huzzahhh! NOA1

01/29/2010- Money taken out :'(

02/02/2010- Touch

02/06/2010- Biometrics Appointment, 16th Feb at 2:00pm .... Also happens to be my 21st Birthday!!

02/07/2010- Sent in Medical to Chicago office

02/09/2010- Got a RFE for medical.....Sent reply letter 2 days earlier due to forgetting to include vaccination data.

02/10/2010- Sent a 2nd copy of medical to MO office.

02/16/2010- 21st birthday, Biometrics done, and a letter saying my case is on "hold" from the 7th of Feb, in a email...

02/17/2010- Touch

02/23/2010- Letter to congressman

02/24/2010- RFE Received and processing resumed.

02/25/2010- Case transferred to CSC

03/24/2010- Work permit printed

03/28/2010- Work permit received (After writing to the congressman...Again...)

07/01/2010- Call to Senator about Green card, Call to USCIS, Nothing... Told to wait another 2 months and then possibly another 4 months.

07/01/2010- Touch on I-485/Green card...

07/02/2010- Second touch on I-485/Green card, No notifications....

07/07/2010- Told at info pass that my application is being sent to west palm from CSC

07/10/2010- Touch I-485

07/14/2010- Touch on I-485

I don't have the money for shipping because I've just finished university.

I'm taking 2 suitcases with me and everything else, I'm giving to family/friends or to charity.

Apparently the weight is just 23KG so I must be careful.. I'm trying to ship my books via airmail at the post office.

A question about excessbaggage.com:

Can my fiance authorize me to sign for his stuff if we use door-to-door? He will be shipping his stuff here and it will reach here well before he does.

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

A question about excessbaggage.com:

Can my fiance authorize me to sign for his stuff if we use door-to-door? He will be shipping his stuff here and it will reach here well before he does.

Found the answer to my own question, in case anyone else has the same inquiry, yes you can authorize someone else to sign for your stuff and receive it on the other end.

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

I thought you had to have entered the US on your visa before your belongings could clear customs. I used the removals arm of excess baggage for my things and they wouldn't arrange a shipping date until they knew when I was going to be moving over here although they were happy for me to arrange for someone else to be here when the belongings were delivered if I couldn't do it personally.

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent : 2nd July 2008

NOA1 : 25th July 2008

NOA2 : 28th November 2008

NVC Received : 2nd December 2008

NVC Left : 12th January 2009

Consulate Received : 26th January 2009

Packet 3 Sent : 27th January 2009

Interview: 19th February 2009

Visa in hand : 24th February 2009

Flew to US: 28th February 2009

Wedding Day 10th March 2009 in snowy Colorado

AOS Journey

AOS package sent : 24th March 2009

NOA: 31st March 2009

AOS transferred to CSC: 13th April 2009

Biometrics Appt: 23rd April 2009

AOS approved 13th May 2009

Green Card received 9th June 2009

Stuck in AP at NVC thread

UK AOS Progress Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.