supremacy

Any penalties if AOS based-on marriage is denied?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that people in bona fide marriages worry about denial...

I didn't

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I think that there are plenty of people in bonafide marriages who worry that their application won't be approved. Bully to those of you who never "worried", but some people are naturally more worry-wartish than others. There are also people who may not have a lot of evidence to send etc etc etc.......

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Timeline
Thanks a lot for the replies. Actually I worried about my finance, not about me. Is there any penalties for my finance who has U.S. citizenship?

Fiance? Fiance(e)s do not apply for adjustment of status, spouses do. What is your timeline?

Gary And Alla

Timeline
I think that there are plenty of people in bonafide marriages who worry that their application won't be approved. Bully to those of you who never "worried", but some people are naturally more worry-wartish than others. There are also people who may not have a lot of evidence to send etc etc etc.......

For the initial AOS, the evidence "required" is no more than a marriage certificate, really. Further evidence would be more imporatn for removing conditions. Lets face it, a fiancee can arrive today, get married tomorrow and file for AOS the next day. So how much evidence can they expect to see from someone married 24 hours? We were asked for exactly ZERO "evidence" other than what we filed with the AOS, marriage certificate and I-864 basically.

Yes, I know some people are required to provide more than this and it is because there is some red flags in their filing or circumstances, simple as that. There really is not any "required" evidence for the conditional AOS. I worried more about getting the K-1 visa, needlessly as it turned out. I was all out of worry by the time of the AOS

I didn't worry because we have a legitimate marriage. I was THERE when we got married.

Gary And Alla

Thanks a lot for the replies. Actually I worried about my finance, not about me. Is there any penalties for my finance who has U.S. citizenship?

Fiance? Fiance(e)s do not apply for adjustment of status, spouses do. What is your timeline?

He/she is right to be worried for the fiance/fiancee. If a marriage is found to be fraudulent, the USC spouse can be fined and face prison time.

We're all speculating here because the OP didn't give details as to why they are worried about it.

DO: LOS ANGELES

04/24/09 - mailed N400

04/27/09 - N400 received

04/30/09 - NOA1 date

05/04/09 - NOA1 received

05/04/09 - check cashed

05/05/09 - touched

05/13/09 - walk-in biometrics

05/22/09 - biometrics schedule

06/02/09 - interview notice date

06/08/09 - received interview notice

07/30/09 - interview - PASSED :P

08/28/09 - Oath Ceremony

08/29/09 - Passport application

For the initial AOS, the evidence "required" is no more than a marriage certificate, really. Further evidence would be more imporatn for removing conditions. Lets face it, a fiancee can arrive today, get married tomorrow and file for AOS the next day. So how much evidence can they expect to see from someone married 24 hours? We were asked for exactly ZERO "evidence" other than what we filed with the AOS, marriage certificate and I-864 basically.

Yes, I know some people are required to provide more than this and it is because there is some red flags in their filing or circumstances, simple as that. There really is not any "required" evidence for the conditional AOS. I worried more about getting the K-1 visa, needlessly as it turned out. I was all out of worry by the time of the AOS

I didn't worry because we have a legitimate marriage. I was THERE when we got married.

First of all, I'm new to this site and have to say I am loving it and it has been very helpful =).

My husband and I recently filed our I-130, I-485 and I-765 and sure I'm a little worried to because you never know. The only RFE we got was for the medical exam, and I-864, I'm sure the medical exam was required because we didn't go the K-1 route.

I think you were lucky. Most people are asked (and i am sure submit), supporting documents. I know that I was asked what I had brought when I went to my interview and showed five items, before the interviewer said that was plenty. I'm pretty sure there were no red flags in my file. I think it would be very rare, that an I-864 and marriage certificate would be all that is required to show proof of a legitimate marriage.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Tanzania
Timeline

Worry is normal in that situation though I never been in that situation but try to think positive just let the truth come out about your marriage and everything will b just fine...Best of luck

AFZ212

This is slightly off-topic but I'm curious.

Are you not able to appeal if your AOS is denied?

~ Catherine

Depends on your basis for adjusting. I know that if you are denied on a VWP, you have no right to appeal. Beyond that I don't know.

24q38dy.jpg

Penalties are:

You are unauthorized to work, you are banned from ever getting permanent residency, and depending on the days of unlawful presence,

you are facing the 3/10 year bar or a lifetime bar.

Where do you get your information? Your response is substantially false and misleading.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Other Timeline

If you are adjusting status from a visitor visa or visa waiver programme, or Canadian visitor status, and you are denied, then NO there is no appeal.

If you are adjusting from some other form of "dual-intent" or allowed visa, such as any K visa, or a work visa, or student visa, then yes, there is opportunity for appeal.

And my husband and I were both a tetch worried coming up to our interview, and we'd been married several years already. We were worried because we really don't have any other options, as he'd already been denied immigration to Canada (which was our first choice). There are plenty of reasons to be worried, even if you have a genuine and bonafide marriage.

As someone else mentioned, some people are just natural worry warts, and need to know any and all possible outcomes to prepare themselves properly. Not everyone can walk thru life never thinking or caring about the future.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.