Goran

Interview Experience (Norfolk, VA)

13 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone!

The following is my experience going through the interview process on the journey to become a Citizen. While I am sure there is a general interest in my post, I am posting partly because of the seemingly small group of people on this forum who go through the Norfolk office. So, hopefully, this post will be of some help and reassurance to those folks. Here goes...

I arrived at 9:15AM for a 10:00AM appointment. The reason I was 45 minutes early was because you are never too sure of the delay going through the tunnels to the peninsula where Norfolk is located. There was about a 4.5 mile backup before the tunnel at 8:45am (going east on I-64). However, had there been a wreck, it is not unusual for much longer delays.

Guards outside of the USCIS building inform everyone that cell phones, weapons, and other sharp objects have to be left in the car. I was prepared and did not have any of these items. As you enter the building, the first thing you will hit is the X-ray machine, on which you have to place everything except your clothing.

The next step was to put your notice to appear document in a basket just off the waiting room area. I did so, and sat down and waited. At 9:50AM I was called by Officer Patterson to come with her to her office. She conducted the interview as follows:

1) You are sworn in. She asked me to remain standing, drop my brief case, and raise my right hand. After I swore to tell the truth, she invited me to sit down.

2) She asked for my Passport and Green Card. She took a quick glance and then explained that she would start the exam. She started by giving me a piece of paper with about 10 sentences on it. She pointed to one sentence and asked me to read it. Then she took that paper and gave me another that had 10 empty rectangular boxes. She asked me to write something about freedom of speech. Cannot remember the exact wording.

3) Next she started to ask me the questions. If I recall correctly, these were the questions she asked:

• What do you promise to do when you become a United States citizen?
  • Who is the Governor of Virginia?
  • Name two national U.S. holidays.
  • Where is the statue of liberty?
  • Who was the first President?
  • What movement tried to end racial discrimination?

As I was answering the questions, she marked on a sheet of paper what I answered, and checked off whether the answer was correct. I must have answered all 6 questions correct since she didn't continue with questions 7-10 (which were printed on her form). She checked off "100% Correct".

4) The next step was to go through my application. We started with my name. She asked me to say my first, middle and last names. I did, and then I added that there is a discrepancy on my passport last name and my last name as printed on the green card. This is a long story (explained in a different post). The short story is that my Swedish passport and birth certificate spell my last name with an "f", however, all my official documents here in the U.S. (Green Card, SSN Card, etc, etc) spell my last name with a "v". I filled out my N-400 with the "v" spelling, since the instructions said that you should spell it exactly as it appears on your Green Card. Nevertheless, she said that to fix this, she had to change the spelling of my last name on the N-400 to an "f", and then request a name change to "v". She said she will file the paperwork, and my "new" name will take effect when I take the oath on July 15th.

5) Continuing on with the application, she verbally asked the questions in the application. Then she asked me if I have ever been arrested. I explained that I had been cited twice for speeding, and therefore answered yes to the "Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained..." question. She said that traffic tickets are no problem, and wrote "traffic tickets" on the line with that question.

6) The last thing left to do was to sign the application. I had not used my "real" signature, since it is ineligible, and they asked for a legible signature on the application. She said that was fine, but that I need to sign with my "normal" signature at the very bottom, and then print my name.

7) Then she congratulated me and said that I passed and that she approved my application :thumbs: .

8) She asked if I still lived in Richmond, and that she would schedule me to take my oath in the U.S. court house in Richmond on July 15th there. She gave me two pieces of paper. The first document stated that I had passed the test and that I was recommended for citizenship. The second document stated that I was to appear in the U.S. Court house in Richmond to take the oath on July 15th.

The whole process took 15 minutes. I was out of there at 10:05 am :) Officer Patterson was very nice, professional, and made me feel "at ease."

I think one thing to take away from my experience is that if you are worried about whether you filled in the application right, you will have the opportunity to change it as you are talking with the IO, as they can give you definite answers as how to correctly fill it out.

Good luck everyone!

Cheers! :dance:

Goran

01/31/2009 - Mailed N-400 to the Texas Lockbox

02/05/2009 - USPS "Priority" mail package delivered to Texas Lockbox

02/05/2009 - Priority Date

02/10/2009 - Notice Date

03/03/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

03/19/2009 - Interview Letter Received

05/21/2009 - Interview Appointment

05/21/2009 - Interview Passed

07/15/2009 - Oath Appointment

07/15/2009 - Oath Completed

07/15/2009 - Submitted Passport Application (Standard 4-6 week service)

08/22/2009 - Received letter stating that I did not sign passport application (not true) and need to re-apply

08/24/2009 - Resubmitted passport application

09/05/2009 - Received Passport

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Congratulations :dance: :dance: :dance: Shame the oath is kind of far off - but thank you for sharing your experience!

Edited by wannabe_texan

AOS: ND - June 5 2006 | RFE - June 15 2006 | FP Notice - June 30 (Rescheduled to Sept 16) | AP ND - August 14 2006| Walk-in FP - Sept 5 (FP cleared next day!) | Interview - Sept 8 2006 (Approved!) | Welcome Letter - Sept 13 | EAD received - Sept 19 (kinda moot since I'm waiting for GC) | GC received - Sept 23 2006 - Woohoo!!

I-751: 06/10/08 Mailed package to VSC direct (per memo instructions) not TSC. The wait begins... | 06/11/08 Package received at VSC (12.12pm) | 06/19/08 Check cashed | 06/20/08 Received NOA1 in the mail - ND is 06/17/08 | 07/10/08 Received Biometrics Appt Letter - ND is 7/7/08 | 07/22/08 Biometrics (had to do ink & paper also...) | 07/22/08 Touched | 07/23/08 Touched | 02/11/09 Transferred to CSC (got email)... | 02/12/09 Touched | 02/20/09 Touched (but no email) | 03/24/09 Approval letter arrives in the mail! Approval date is 3/18/09 from VSC | 04/03/09 Received card, postmarked 3/31 from CSC

N-400: 06/11/09 Mailed to Lewisville Lockbox | 06/12/09 Package received at Lockbox and signed for at 1.31pm | 06/18/09 Check Cashed | 06/19/09 NOA, PD 06/12/09 | 07/06/09 Biometrics letter received, ND is 07/02/09 | 07/24/09 Biometrics appointment | 08/06/09 IL received, ND 08/03/09 | Interview 09/14/09 at 9.30am (approved!) | Oath 10/21/09 | USC

Thank you for sharing your experience! And Congratulations! :thumbs:

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Filed: Timeline

I can vouch for Goran's description - it is spot on. I went through the same thing in March and it brought back memories.

Norfolk does seem to have a long interview-to-oath time. Mine was about two months (and my oath is tomorrow, so I'll be sure to post afterwards). I believe that's because they think it will be "convenient" for those of us living closer to the courthouse in Richmond to have our oath there instead of travelling to Norfolk again. Personally, I'd rather take the oath in the rather unceremonious setting of the waiting room of the Norfolk field office the same day instead of having such a long wait.

+++ for the advice about the drive. Make sure you plan on getting there a good hour before your appointment. The tunnel is a real ####### when there's traffic, and if there's an accident, you are sure to be screwed unless you have plenty of time to spare. It's not an area that has many alternative routes, and it's the tunnel or nothing. You have all been warned!

The office is in a light industrial area, and it's a bunch of warehouses and offices. I couldn't find anything of any real use in terms of a place to get a cup of coffee or a snack.

The interviewers were very nice to me also, and the whole process - once you get taken back to the interview rooms - is very quick. Like Goran says, they do go over your application and ask for clarification of a few things, but provided you can explain, you're good to go.

But yeah, the delay from interview to oath is a killer. I would have had an "application to oath" time of about 4 months had there not been such a delay in the oath. But still, the process is almost done so I shouldn't complain!

Application for Naturalization

11/14/08 - sent off N-400 to Vermont Service Center

11/18/08 - NOA stating app sent to National Benefits Center

11/24/08 - NOA giving fingerprinting appointment

12/18/08 - fingerprinting appointment

Congratulations!!! I've been wondering how you are doing since I haven't read from you in a while. Too bad you didn't get to take the oath at Monticello. But soon you'll be all done! :dance::star:

Thanks, Stella! :yes:

Yeah, my absence is due to work. Been a lot going on lately, so haven't had much time (or energy) to be on the computer at night.

I asked the IO if I could take it at Monticello. Unfortunately, I can't since Monticello is within the D.C./NOVA USCIS field offices. Only those applicants going through the process in those offices can elect to be sworn in at Monticello (or if you are invited by a Senator or other public figure).

I meant to ask you. Did you decide to keep your German citizenship?

Cheers,

Goran

02/10/2009 - Notice Date

08/22/2009 - Received letter stating that I did not sign passport application (not true) and need to re-apply

:dance: :dance: Congratulations and thanks for sharing your interview experienced! :thumbs::thumbs:

threemonths09.jpg?t=1272087150Princess-Threemonthsold007-2.jpg?t=1271837591threemonths01-1.jpg?t=1272086957

Our Princess have her first tooth at five months of age.

fEdIm5.png?J2iWLNZY

I-130 (IR-5) Petitions for my Mom and Dad

*06-08-2010---Petition will send on this date???

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and congratulations! I think this is the best forums around and it is of such great help!

I with everyone good luck and best wishes in your journey!!

Happy weekend!

Goran

02/10/2009 - Notice Date

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.