dash-tx

Can Adjustment of status for siblings of USC be done?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello all!

My friend just became a USC last week and he wants to apply for his two brothers. They all came here about 7 years ago with tourist visas and are currently out of status.

Can he as a USC apply for his siblings to adjust their status?

I understand the wait for sibling is very long, but they are willing to go through that if the Adjustment fo Status is possible.

I've heard that this was possible up to 2001 and not anymore, but I also heard otherwise.

Just wanted to get some information from someone that knows this or have been through it.

Thanks.

dash-tx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

03/01/2012 - Mailed N-400

04/11/2012 - Bio Appt

04/26/2012 - Rcvd interview letter

05/31/2012 - Interview

05/31/2012 - oath yey! I'm a USC!

USCIS faq

2. If your relatives are already in the United States and

entered legally, then they may be able to file an I-485

application to adjust their status to lawful permanent resident

at the same time as you file the I-130 relative petition.

Petitions filed at the same time with permanent residence

applications (I-485) must be filed at a location that is different

from where you would file an I-130 petition by itself. Please

read the instructions for the two addresses where concurrent

filings can be mailed.

Edited by Bobby_Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

My friend just became a USC last week and he wants to apply for his two brothers. They all came here about 7 years ago with tourist visas and are currently out of status.

Can he as a USC apply for his siblings to adjust their status?

A US Citizen may petition the US Government to bring his/her siblings to the US. (Doesn't mean it would be approved though.)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

NO :no:

The attached I-130 that will be concurrently filed with I-485 needs to be for a person who would fall into the UN-LIMITED class of visas (IE, Parent or Spouse of a US Citizen)

Siblings fall onto the F-4 class not Un-Limited Class.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

The attached I-130 that will be concurrently filed with I-485 needs to be for a person who would fall into the UN-LIMITED class of visas (IE, Parent or Spouse of a US Citizen)

?

says in the FAQ listed above:

A U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years or older may also petition for

the following relatives:

• Parents;

• Brothers or sisters.

and they entered the US legally (visitors visa) - however, the overstay may cause a problem.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

?

says in the FAQ listed above:

A U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years or older may also petition for

the following relatives:

• Parents;

• Brothers or sisters.

and they entered the US legally (visitors visa) - however, the overstay may cause a problem.

I-130 is a Petition so yes one can be filed, however I-485 is an APPLICATION filed by the person waiting for the approval of the I-130.

Who May File I-485

Based on an immigrant petition

You may file to adjust your status if:

A. An immigrant number being immediately available to you base on an approved immigrant visa petition.

B. You are filing this application with a completed relative petition... IF approved would make an immigrant visa number immediately available to you.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

The only class of immigrant that get a visa number immediately available to them are the UN-Limited Class (Spouse or parent, son/daughter under 21 of US Citizen) again SIBLINGS do not qualify for this and CANNOT file I-485 to adjust status.

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Ok - gotcha - thanks for the info.

Timeline
Ok - gotcha - thanks for the info.
Yep they have much bigger problems to deal with.

Only way I can see out of this MAY be to adjust based on marriage to a US citizen, but that may not fly either.

This is a case for a good immigrations attorney.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My questions still stays...

Thanks for the replies. But I'm still wondering can the I-130 be filled and after the visa number becomes available, can the I-485 be filled then and status adjusted?

Has anybody out there been on this situation before?

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

03/01/2012 - Mailed N-400

04/11/2012 - Bio Appt

04/26/2012 - Rcvd interview letter

05/31/2012 - Interview

05/31/2012 - oath yey! I'm a USC!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline
My questions still stays...

Thanks for the replies. But I'm still wondering can the I-130 be filled and after the visa number becomes available, can the I-485 be filled then and status adjusted?

Has anybody out there been on this situation before?

Thanks!

You really need to talk to an attorney.

However, my understanding is that what you propose is not possible - IF you mean that the I-130 will be filed and the siblings will remain in the United States out-of-status until the petition is approved. Only immediate relatives of citizens can adjust status when they are out-of-status, and siblings are not immediate relatives by the definition used by the USCIS.

If you mean they the siblings will now leave the US, then they will incur a ten-year ban. After that, I don't know.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.