Lakontis

Easier to move to US or Canada by marriage?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, there is a girl that I want to marry. The problem is she is in Texas, US and I am in BC, Canada. We are planning to go through marriage process and live in US, but it seems like the process takes almost a year. So I am thinking that if it is MUCH easier (ie: if she can come here right away and live) for her to come here instead, we might consider that too. But again we both REALLY prefer living in US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I know someone immigrating north of the border and the process is similar for Canada.

Patience is needed for this, immigrations in either direction is NOT instant. You have an advantage over my situation, my wife lived on the other side of the world and her visiting the USA was NOT an option. In your case visiting during the visa process is not a problem.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The overall Canadian immigration process is shorter and cheaper than the US and has less hassle but the initial phases take about the same time. What is important is that you need to decide where you want to live then pursue the immigration process in that direction. Living in Canada and wanting to live in the US isn't going to make you any happier than living in the US and wanting to live in Canada. Pursue what you want.

One thing that might be a major factor of influence - your fiancee needs to be able to sponsor you financially - that is she must prove to US immigration that she has a steady source of income that is over 125% of the poverty guidelines and guarantee she will support you in the US until you either have 40 quarters of qualified employment (10 years), become a US citizen (3 years as a PR), leave the US or either of you die. Canada also has a financial sponsorship requirement, however the financial minimum income is waived for spouses, and the commitment is for 3 years. So, if your US fiancee does not meet the minimum financial guidelines you might find it easier to immigrate to Canada.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I know someone immigrating north of the border and the process is similar for Canada.

Patience is needed for this, immigrations in either direction is NOT instant. You have an advantage over my situation, my wife lived on the other side of the world and her visiting the USA was NOT an option. In your case visiting during the visa process is not a problem.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that I really am in a better situation than most. Thanks for motivation

Timeline

First things first.. hello! :)

From what I understand of the CDN side the one thing to remember is that CDN permanent residency is what it says.. permanent.. no more paperwork, you live there hassle free for the rest of your days.. honestly the headache of visa, removal of conditions, blah blah blah blah that you have to do here in the US is draining financially and emotionally. It SOUNDS easier to move to Canada.. and a HECK of a lot cheaper it would appear. PLUS you get the health care, the more stable economy (at least at present) etc. etc. My vote would be for Canada.. :) But the Canadians process residency for married couples faster if the partner is out of Canada as opposed to those who are married and together IN Canada.. Canada doesn't have a fiance visa (like the US has), so that's different as well.

If you want to live in the US that's possible, check out the links at the top.. read read read, check out the Canada Forum section and ask your questions of those of us here State Side.. There are a few lurking in the Canada Forum who have done things in reverse (USC's gone to Canada) so they'll have a story to tell too.

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you decide to move to Canada you dont have to get married you can apply for your GF as common law you would have to meet the relationship requirements which are posted http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/spo....asp#common_law. Also the financial requirement is not as heavy and yourself and partner can sign a declaration stating that she will not become dependent on government benefits. I would suggest intially going to Canada and then if you truly want to move to the US you can do DCF after your partner has been a PR for six months, that would speed up process to US and you can also count your own income at that time towards the financial requirement.

MONI_CALLA

Hi, there is a girl that I want to marry. The problem is she is in Texas, US and I am in BC, Canada. We are planning to go through marriage process and live in US, but it seems like the process takes almost a year. So I am thinking that if it is MUCH easier (ie: if she can come here right away and live) for her to come here instead, we might consider that too. But again we both REALLY prefer living in US.

If you both really wants to live in US, you may just wait up to 1 year for US immigration process.

Remember that you have to deal with it any way, and it may cost more and takes more time in the future.

I don't see the cost going down any time soon at least. :whistle:

Immigration parts are really beaurocratic portion of each government.

So if you decide to immigrate to Canada, and later to US,

you may have to waste money/time plus a lot of headache to deal with beaurocratic stuffs. :innocent:

Taking up to 1 year for immigration will be almost nothing in US immigration process. :angry:

For newbies for immigration, I would recommend to spare some money for meditation and yoga class plus phone bills. :whistle:

OR can we get some discount coupon for those from USCIS ? :devil:

From what I understand of the CDN side the one thing to remember is that CDN permanent residency is what it says.. permanent.. no more paperwork, you live there hassle free for the rest of your days..

I find it funny that countries call it permanent residency, when it is not really "permanent".

If I remember correctly, Australia is similar the US. Their PR is good for 5 years and continued residency depends on the amount of time you spend in Australia during the previous years. To me this or the US PR is not actually "permanent"

New Zealand is like Canada. Once you have permanent residency, you can leave for a decade and then return and you still have residency there.

Just amusing to me, though this post really doesn't help you :)

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
From what I understand of the CDN side the one thing to remember is that CDN permanent residency is what it says.. permanent.. no more paperwork, you live there hassle free for the rest of your days..

I find it funny that countries call it permanent residency, when it is not really "permanent".

If I remember correctly, Australia is similar the US. Their PR is good for 5 years and continued residency depends on the amount of time you spend in Australia during the previous years. To me this or the US PR is not actually "permanent"

New Zealand is like Canada. Once you have permanent residency, you can leave for a decade and then return and you still have residency there.

Just amusing to me, though this post really doesn't help you :)

Actually Canadian permanent residency is like that too, you have to renew your PR card every 5 years and it is dependant on being in the country x number of days - however, the one great thing is that if you are are living in another country with your Canadian Husband or Wife - that time is still counted, so you don't automatically lose your PR when living overseas with your spouse for a number of years, which is nice.

I was a permanent resident of New Zealand, but left quite a few years ago - I doubt that I am still considered a PR or that I would be eligible for a returning resident visa.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

We all wanted to be with our partners right away, but you're in for a long journey. "Immigration" and "easy" don't go together. :(

Since you said that you'd both prefer to live in the US, I suggest staying on that road if your fiancee qualifies financially and you don't have a criminal record or anything else that could prevent you from living in the US. We all know how difficult it is to be apart, but you will survive and become stronger because of it. Read the guides and the forums, and you'll be much better prepared for each step of the path.

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Timeline

Lakontis,

My wife is from Canada. We filed the initial paperwork in November of 2007. After a ton of more paperwork and money, she was able to enter the U.S. in early October, and we got married November 8, 2008. So ours was basically a year exactly. But since november, we had to go through the process of adjusting her status, ead, things like that. And we just had our interview last month and were approved.

This is just to give u an idea. and we had no police record or anything like that, we are squeaky clean, lol.

Filed: Other Timeline

I always hope (when I read posts like this one) that the couple will make their decision based upon where they think they will have the happiest, most fulfilling life - rather than speed of any immigration processes.

After all the paperwork is over, you have a life to live. Do what's best for your 'couplehood'.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The overall Canadian immigration process is shorter and cheaper than the US and has less hassle but the initial phases take about the same time. What is important is that you need to decide where you want to live then pursue the immigration process in that direction. Living in Canada and wanting to live in the US isn't going to make you any happier than living in the US and wanting to live in Canada. Pursue what you want.

I might slighty disagree about the immigration process being less of a hassle US>Canada. I've recently looked at the forms needed for completion by a USC sponsored by a Canadain and the questions asked are for more in depth than we require CDN>US. For example, I'm not aware of any US form that requires my fiancee whether it's the I129F or I 485 that requires: My Personal History since age 18 (jobs, unemployment, etc); that I provide a list of address for every place I've every lived since age 18; details about military service to include Branch of Service, Unit Numbers and Commanding Officers names, dates of each category. The same is true for civilian law enforcement and other government work. This is all under the Schedule 1 Background/Declaration. This might not be a problem for a younger person but for us older dogs and given how mobile we are in the US compared to other countries, remembering or even having that information available 25 years later is difficult at best.

If we ask these same questions on the I 485 or some other document I have yet to read for my K1 process, let me know but I think the Canadian paperwork is far more difficult if you have track down this infromation. When I told my friends here in the US (in my age bracket) they all had the same response, who h*ll keeps those details after all this time...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

April 21, 2010 - AOS/AP/EAD Received in Chicago

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I should have noted these are the forms and questions I would have to complete as a USC and not her as the Canadian Petitioner.

For example, I'm not aware of any US form that requires my fiancee whether it's the I129F or I 485 that requires: My Personal History since age 18 (jobs, unemployment, etc); that I provide a list of address for every place I've every lived since age 18; details about military service to include Branch of Service, Unit Numbers and Commanding Officers names, dates of each category. The same is true for civilian law enforcement and other government work. This is all under the Schedule 1 Background/Declaration. This might not be a problem for a younger person but for us older dogs and given how mobile we are in the US compared to other countries, remembering or even having that information available 25 years later is difficult at best.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

April 21, 2010 - AOS/AP/EAD Received in Chicago

Filed: Timeline
I might slighty disagree about the immigration process being less of a hassle US>Canada. I've recently looked at the forms needed for completion by a USC sponsored by a Canadain and the questions asked are for more in depth than we require CDN>US. For example, I'm not aware of any US form that requires my fiancee whether it's the I129F or I 485 that requires: My Personal History since age 18 (jobs, unemployment, etc); that I provide a list of address for every place I've every lived since age 18; details about military service to include Branch of Service, Unit Numbers and Commanding Officers names, dates of each category. The same is true for civilian law enforcement and other government work. This is all under the Schedule 1 Background/Declaration. This might not be a problem for a younger person but for us older dogs and given how mobile we are in the US compared to other countries, remembering or even having that information available 25 years later is difficult at best.

If we ask these same questions on the I 485 or some other document I have yet to read for my K1 process, let me know but I think the Canadian paperwork is far more difficult if you have track down this infromation. When I told my friends here in the US (in my age bracket) they all had the same response, who h*ll keeps those details after all this time...

Those questions are required information in Package 3, where you are asked to provide the addresses of where you have lived since age 16, as well as employment information and police reports.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.