blistex27

Beneficiary Filing for Divorce

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have a question. If I am not mistaken, the law states that if a beneficiary can show that they entered into the marriage in good faith, they will be presumed to not be at fault if the marriage does not work out. My question is this: How would USCIS construe this if the beneficiary is the one who files for divorce? Will the beneficiary still be presumed to not be at fault?

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I have a question. If I am not mistaken, the law states that if a beneficiary can show that they entered into the marriage in good faith, they will be presumed to not be at fault if the marriage does not work out. My question is this: How would USCIS construe this if the beneficiary is the one who files for divorce? Will the beneficiary still be presumed to not be at fault?

It does not mater who filled for the divorce, What USCIS will be looking for is evidence to prove the marriage was entered into in good faith.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

It depends. Some states have no-fault divorce like Ca. We never went to court & we did all by mail. As long as you can support the good faith marriage by providing evidences to the USCIS then it's up to them if they'll approve you or not.. One thing that it matters to me is that in my application for a new passport (PI for instance), I need to be the respondent for me to obtain a new passport in my old name or new name..

I-R5 at USCIS California Service Center

Consulate: Manila Philippines

5/19/09 Filed I-130 at Chicago Lockbox

5/22/09 USCIS rcvd I-130

6/01/09 Checks cashed

6/03/09 NOA1 rcvd for both parents

8/12/09 Email approval for Dad

8/17/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Dad

8/20/09 Rcvd RFE email for Mom

9/08/09 Email approval for Mom

9/12/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Mom

NVC

8/19/09 NVC rcvd dad's case

9/18/09 NVC rcvd mom's case

9/22/09 Emailed DS3032

9/28/09 Paid AOS/ I-864 fee of $70 for both

10/08/09 rcvd emails: DS3032 accepted

10/08/09 sent I-864

10/09/09 IV bill generated for both cases

10/10/09 Paid IV bill $800 for both

10/13/09 I-864 rcvd by NVC

10/15/09 DS230 mailed to NVC

10/16/09 I-864 accepted & entered into the system

10/19/09 DS230 rcvd by NVC

11/02/09 rcvd checklist emails

11/09/09 sent RFE to NVC via UPS

11/12/09 NVC received RFE

11/19/09 AVR: checklist response rcvd 11/18/09

11/28/09 Log-in failed for both

12/01/09 Case complete as of 11/30/09

12/14/09 rcvd emails of interview date

01/04-05/09 medical @ St.Lukes done

01/11/10 Interview @ USEmbassy Manila 6:30am

It depends. Some states have no-fault divorce like Ca. We never went to court & we did all by mail. As long as you can support the good faith marriage by providing evidences to the USCIS then it's up to them if they'll approve you or not.. One thing that it matters to me is that in my application for a new passport (PI for instance), I need to be the respondent for me to obtain a new passport in my old name or new name..

Does anybody know what the divorce laws are in Florida? And what type of evidence is sufficient to USCIS to prove a "bonafide marriage?" It all seems so subjective...

I am very confused as to what you meant when you said you needed to be the respondent for a new passport. What's "PI"? Will you clarify for me?

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Check out the VAWA topic. Someone listed what they sent in to prove they were in a bonifide relationship.

idocare

NSC, NOA1 September 26th,03

received NOA1 in mail Oct. 03,03

RFE - received in mail March 29th,04

RFE returned April 17th,04

RFE received April 21,04 at NSC online

NOA2 received April 29th,04 via online

NOA2 received May 03,04 in mail

NVC receives file May 6th,04

NVC sends file to Nigeria May 11th,04

Lagos receives our file, notified thru e-mail May 19th,04

Victor goes and picks up packet #3....May 20th,04

Sent request for earlier interview date via e-mail May 20th,04

May 27th, Lagos won't change date.

August 16th, 2004 fly to Nigeria for Victors interview

August 19th, 2004 Interview date, visa approved.

August 25th, 2004 Victor picks up passport with visa stamp.

August 26th, 2004 fly back to USA

September 18th, 2004 Victor arrives in USA, Lord willing.

October 9th, 2004, we become husband and wife

October 25th, 2004 I learn that I'm pregnant.

Feburary 25th, 2005 AOS Appointment

( went to appt. and requested a reschedule)

June 7th, 05 gave birth to a boy child.

July 5th, 05 Victor packs he suitcase and leaves for good.

July 2005 2nd AOS appointment

( went and requested a reschedule )

August 2005- I file for divorce. and withdraw immigration paperwork.

Washington State/ Nigeria

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am very confused as to what you meant when you said you needed to be the respondent for a new passport. What's "PI"? Will you clarify for me?

PI: Philippines. For me to obtain a Philippine passport, I should be the respondent in my divorce to a foreign national. That was during my I-751 stage, I travelled back to PI and needed a new passport. But now I am a US Citizen. But when I submitted my I-751, I submitted evidences like a regular I-751 filers with all docs from my marriage etc..

I-R5 at USCIS California Service Center

Consulate: Manila Philippines

5/19/09 Filed I-130 at Chicago Lockbox

5/22/09 USCIS rcvd I-130

6/01/09 Checks cashed

6/03/09 NOA1 rcvd for both parents

8/12/09 Email approval for Dad

8/17/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Dad

8/20/09 Rcvd RFE email for Mom

9/08/09 Email approval for Mom

9/12/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Mom

NVC

8/19/09 NVC rcvd dad's case

9/18/09 NVC rcvd mom's case

9/22/09 Emailed DS3032

9/28/09 Paid AOS/ I-864 fee of $70 for both

10/08/09 rcvd emails: DS3032 accepted

10/08/09 sent I-864

10/09/09 IV bill generated for both cases

10/10/09 Paid IV bill $800 for both

10/13/09 I-864 rcvd by NVC

10/15/09 DS230 mailed to NVC

10/16/09 I-864 accepted & entered into the system

10/19/09 DS230 rcvd by NVC

11/02/09 rcvd checklist emails

11/09/09 sent RFE to NVC via UPS

11/12/09 NVC received RFE

11/19/09 AVR: checklist response rcvd 11/18/09

11/28/09 Log-in failed for both

12/01/09 Case complete as of 11/30/09

12/14/09 rcvd emails of interview date

01/04-05/09 medical @ St.Lukes done

01/11/10 Interview @ USEmbassy Manila 6:30am

• 2 weeks later...

PI: Philippines. For me to obtain a Philippine passport, I should be the respondent in my divorce to a foreign national. That was during my I-751 stage, I travelled back to PI and needed a new passport. But now I am a US Citizen. But when I submitted my I-751, I submitted evidences like a regular I-751 filers with all docs from my marriage etc..

Did you have an in person interview for the removal of conditions after divorce, and if so what was it like?

"Love Will Find A Way <3"

05/29/2008 --- Entry into the US on Visa Waiver to visit my girlfriend for a summer holiday and to help take care of her sick father where needed.

06/20/2008 -- After the sad passing of my girlfriend's father, we decided to get married and stay together

08/08/2008 --- We get married, lovely ceremony and dinner with all of Sarah's family present :-)

08/25/2008 --- AOS package sent to Chicago via Fedex overnight priority mail. Fingers crossed now!

08/26/2008 -- AOS Package received in Chicago, signed for by A.Smith (1 day before my VWP expires!)

09/02/2008 -- Checks cashed!!

09/03/2008 -- NOA1 received for I-485, I-130 and I-765.

09/05/2008 -- Case is shown online as pending!!

09/08/2008 -- Biometrics appointment letter received for September 23rd!! (For both I-485 and I-765)

09/12/2008 -- Biometrics walk-in completed, 11 days before the appointment! In Hackensack NJ.

09/20/2008 -- RFE for I-485 received. It was dated September 17.

09/25/2008 -- RFE response evidence sent out to Lee's Summit by USPS, certified mail.

10/02/2008 -- RFE response evidence received and case processing resumed!

11/04/2008 -- EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED! Thank you Lord.

11/10/2008 -- EAD card received in the mail! wOOt wOOt!!!!

11/12/2008 -- SSN ordered from Hackensack, 2-4 weeks in mail!

11/28/2008 -- SSN Received in the mail, wOOt!!!!!!!!

12/7/2008 -- INTERVIEW LETTER RECEIVED!!! It's scheduled February 19, 2009 at 8:30am in Newark. *nerves*

2/19/2009 -- Interview 8:30am - Green Card verbally approved

2/23/2009 -- Welcome letter received! followed by I-130 approval notice!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

As they said it doesn't matter who filed for divorce? And why would it? If the beneficiary comes here in good faith and it turns out that the petitioner is not at all who she/he said he was (I'm not saying that you were like this, I'm just making a point), then it's not their fault at all and they still entered the marriage in good faith. It's not only the beneficiaries that can lie about how they are, petitioners do it all the time!

And in my opinion, it sucks more for the beneficiary who has left everything behind in their home countries and moved all the way across the world!!

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

First question, what part of the process are you at?

AOS?

2yr conditional GC? 10 yr?

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

AOS?

Excellent point brother Bobby.

:time:

AOS?

hello all. I already have my 2 year conditional green card, which I was granted august 30, 2008. We can't file to remove conditions until may 30, 2010. I don't think we are going to last that long, no matter how many times we try. I keep quiet as much as possible to keep the peace, but my wife picks fights with me often about trivial things, and she lets her family interfere way too much in our affairs. This woman has treated my family members with disrespect and repeatedly threatens to kick me out of our home. She insists she will be moving out of our home soon and refuses to file for divorce. I doubt when it comes time to remove conditions that she will do it, so i am in quite a pickle.

Well either party can file for divorce. If you have sufficient evidence of a bona fide marriage why wait for her and run the risk that you don't have a decree by the deadline to remove conditions?

AOS?

hello all. I already have my 2 year conditional green card, which I was granted august 30, 2008. We can't file to remove conditions until may 30, 2010. I don't think we are going to last that long, no matter how many times we try. I keep quiet as much as possible to keep the peace, but my wife picks fights with me often about trivial things, and she lets her family interfere way too much in our affairs. This woman has treated my family members with disrespect and repeatedly threatens to kick me out of our home. She insists she will be moving out of our home soon and refuses to file for divorce. I doubt when it comes time to remove conditions that she will do it, so i am in quite a pickle.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Well either party can file for divorce. If you have sufficient evidence of a bona fide marriage why wait for her and run the risk that you don't have a decree by the deadline to remove conditions?

AOS?

I'm concerned about how kindly/unkindly USCIS will look upon that, and the chances of approval. Sometimes, enough really is enough...

Demonstrating that a marriage was bonafide and not solely for immigration benefit requires evidence that the alien intended for the marriage to sustain. Therefore, success has less to do with the length of time that the alien remained married after PR was conferred, and more to do with the quality of the evidence presented to corroborate that the alien's intent upon entering the marriage was legitimate.

AOS?

I'm concerned about how kindly/unkindly USCIS will look upon that, and the chances of approval. Sometimes, enough really is enough...

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.