LA80

Over the Hedge

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

We have poisonous snakes here in NC too. And poisonous spiders. I was never afraid of spiders until I moved here and I didn't know what I was supposed to be looking for, so now any spider scares the freakin' pants off me. :(

I was out clearing brush from my garden one day shortly after we moved to this house, and I was tossing sticks over my shoulder. Then I heard a rattle somewhere behind me and said "ok, that's enough work for today!" :o

But for some reason the snakes don't bother me as much as the spiders do. Probably because (so far) the snakes haven't got into the house!

I like the wee lizards though, they're cute. Kinda creepy though when they drop their tail, that gives me the heebies.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know exactly what you mean about the spiders, Reba. I am more frightened about any spider now except for the great big huge garden spiders that are harmless and easy to identify. I get so worried about Black Widows and Brown Recluses getting into the house at night and the cats playing with them because they are both fatal for cats. I never worried if they played with spiders before but now I have to prevent that before it happens. I seem to have developed a sixth sense about them because there have been several times when I have woken up spontaneously in the middle of the night for no reason I could identify and gone looking through the house to see if I can find anything amiss - and come across a spider walking across the carpet. The cats have been asleep up until then and I have to keep them away while I grab a shoe to kill the thing. No idea what type of spiders but I am not going to wait to find out - if it's in the house, it's a goner.

Snakes don't bother me either, although there was a copperhead hiding under the door step at my brother in law's place in Texas when we were visiting. I felt sorry for the snake when he killed it but can appreciate his concern - under the step to the front door is not a safe place for a snake to be for both the human's or the snake's sake. I must say hearing a rattle behind me in the brush though, would be unnerving. I would leave too.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

We have 2 toads that come to us every night. We usually catch some junebugs for them and feed them. It's funny how they duck down when you get too close, but get totally excited about the bugs.

The other night we saw an opossum running on the fence and a snake that goes through our backyard on a regular basis. Squirrels are always around and one actually bit my fiancee when he tried to feed it. Since they are carrying black pest, we were worried first, and it really hurt, too. But he's okay, nothing happened. Tought us to never feed a suirrel again though ;-)

The birds here are cool and I really like the turtles that you can find in the creeks. Awesome wildlife here compared to the one in Germany! :-)

Edited by Betti

Shoot for the moon - even if you miss, you'll land among the stars...

AOS completed in 11/2009

ROC completed in 06/2012
Received BBG from Germany in 02/2013

Passed N-400 interview and civics test 06/07/2013

Oath ceremony some time in July

My "back yard" houses several creatures - well not house exactly but foxes, squirrels, and if you are forgetful enough and leave your fishing catch outside a bear or two. A small ride up to the beach will sometimes result in otters sightings and other marine animals - We are lucky to live so close to a Wildlife Refuge.

I find it interesting that people are more afraid of spiders than snakes. My husband is like that. He used to smack every spider when we were in Bosnia, and killing spiders supposedly brings bad luck. :P Then I tried to teach him that spiders are our friends, and he stopped killing them, but is still scared of them. On the other hand, he is ok with snakes and warned me not to kill snakes I might find in the backyard because their scent would only attract their partner(s)...so...I hope I will never see any because I literally stop feeling my feet, but as he says: "You kiddin'? This is Kansas! There are snakes everywhere!"

Oh, great... :rolleyes:

Edited by LA80

We have squirrels and rabbits that drive our cats crazy - they can't come out to play with them :blink: then cardinals, robins, some blue bird (blue jay?), then blackish birds with some white specks on their backs and with short tail. Also regular pigeons, sparrows and sea gulls.

Did see some raccoons, possums and deer.

I found amazing the number of roadkill on the side of the roads here (57 mainly and 90/94) - just took my sister down to Champaign - driving there saw 9 - mainly raccoons I think but on the way up 16 including birds, hawks? as the feathers were huge, rabbits, deer! and a plastic chair.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Country: South Africa
Timeline

I love all the wildlife here. Soooo cute! What I have seen: squirrels, chipmunks, deer, 'possum, foxes, owls, tortoises, raccoons, and armadillos.

03-03-09 I-751 mailed to VSC

03-06-09 I-751 received at VSC

03-10-09 Check cashed

03-26-09 NOA1 received

03-30-09 Biometrics Appointment Notice

04-03-09 Can 'see' my case online USCIS

04-15-09 Biometrics Date ~ completed successfully in Atlanta

04-16-09 Touched

07-13-09 Waiting for something, anything...

07-31-09 Received my SECOND biometrics notice ...wth?

08-22-09 Second Biometrics Date ~ completed successfully in Atlanta: picture only this time

08-24-09 Touched

08-25-09 Touched

09-14-09 Received my THIRD biometrics notice

09-26-09 Will try a 'walk-in' in Atlanta ~ successful: picture only, again

09-28-09 Touched

09-29-09 Touched

09-30-09 Third Biometrics Date

12-02-09 Called USCIS: case still being processed

02-08-10 Waiting...

02-19-10 Called USCIS: Completed a service request based on my case being outside processing time

03-05-10 Info Pass scheduled in Atlanta for extension stamp in passport

03-10-10 E-mail received: Card production ordered - I can't believe it, finally! (Time = 1 year & 1 week)

03-23-10 10 Year Green Card Received

02-19-10 Eligible to file N-400

02-28-10 N-400 mailed to Texas

03-04-10 N-400 received in Texas

04-07-10 Biometrics

06-04-10 Service request

07-21-10 Interview & Oath Ceremony same day in Atlanta - Visa Journey over!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
We have squirrels and rabbits that drive our cats crazy - they can't come out to play with them :blink: then cardinals, robins, some blue bird (blue jay?), then blackish birds with some white specks on their backs and with short tail. Also regular pigeons, sparrows and sea gulls.

The blackish birds with the white specks on their back sound like starlings. Do they also have yellow or light coloured bills?

Did see some raccoons, possums and deer.

I found amazing the number of roadkill on the side of the roads here (57 mainly and 90/94) - just took my sister down to Champaign - driving there saw 9 - mainly raccoons I think but on the way up 16 including birds, hawks? as the feathers were huge, rabbits, deer! and a plastic chair.

Hehehe, I love how you listed a plastic chair in with your road kill tally! :lol::lol: The big birds could also be vultures/buzzards - they feast on road-kill and can become road-kill themselves very easily because of that.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

great pictures!!

nice thread too!!

regarding the earlier post about the orange bellied bird--- maybe a robin.

4.25.08: sent K-1 application

4.28.08: NOA1

5.14.08: touched

9.25.08: touched

9.26.08: touched

9.26.08: NOA2

10.2.08: at NVC, letter says our application will be sent to Guayaquil in one week

10.9.08: spoke with consulate, they have our case

10.13.08: Doctor's appointment

10.20.08: Interview READ THE REVIEWS!

10.30.08: entry: Los Angeles

11.12.08: marriage

11.25.08: applied for Social Security card. READ THE vj GUIDE!

12.3.08: packet and letter for interview arrived at fiance's mail in Ecuador- for 10.20 interview! ha ha!

12.5.08: received SS card in mail

1.9.09: sent AOS/EAD/AP applications

2.10.09: Biometrics appt, Sacramento CA

3.15.09: AP recieved in mail

3.26.09: EAD recieved in mail

3.26.09: AOS interview, Sacramento, CA

4.09.09: Permanent Resident card received in mail

3.11.11: Mailed I-751 to CSC

3.14.11: I-751 received by CSC per USPS tracking

3.14.11: NOA date (received in mail on 3.19) one year extension

Ok guys, I just saw (no, it's not the plastic chair Kathryn41 hehehe) a very pretty yellow bird which had end of its tail and wings in black. Anyone know what it could be - it does have beautiful song.

It's smaller than a sparrow - haven't had a chance to take a picture of it, I did get the bunny picture though - will post it tomorrow.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Other Timeline

maybe a pine warbler? http://public.fotki.com/alperry/2005/backy...rbler_3291.html

my neighbourhood has recently been overtaken by a flock of pigeons. Pigeons are not necessarily uncommon here of course, but in the past couple of days there have been dozens and dozens of them about! A lot more than usual. It's kind of unnerving. And I *like* pigeons!

We also have a nest of baby somethingorothers in our carport. Some enterprising little Momma bird decided to utilize an unused flower pot to nest in. So we've been hoping the cat doesn't notice them, they're sort of within easy reach, but we don't want to move it in case Momma deserts them.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.