totoro

What is "background investigation" ?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I filed on Jun,2008 to VSC and was transfered on 2/11 to CSC. I have been waiting almost a year so I contacted to the Senator on Apr.10 and got a letter today.

Here is the letter from the senator's office.

"I am writing in response to your letter requesting Senator ********'s assistance in determining the status of your Form I-751 application to remove conditional permanent resident alien status. I contacted the USCIS CSC and was advised that the processing of the applicatiion has been delayed as the required background investigation remains open. Until the background investigation is completed, the USCIS CSC cannot issue a final decision. These background checks are required to be completed on applicant who apply for an immigration benefit. Thank you for contacting Senator *******'s office."

Why was the background check delayed? My background is clean; I have not received even a speeding ticket. My opinion is that they found my file among the dust after the senator contacted them and are making an excuse. But I might be wrong :)....... but do you have any idea as to how long the background check might take? Do you think they will require a REF or an interview?

I filed on Jun,2008 to VSC and was transfered on 2/11 to CSC. I have been waiting almost a year so I contacted to the Senator on Apr.10 and got a letter today.

"I am writing in response to your letter requesting Senator ********'s assistance in determining the status of your Form I-751 application to remove conditional permanent resident alien status. I contacted the USCIS CSC and was advised that the processing of the applicatiion has been delayed as the required background investigation remains open. Until the background investigation is completed, the USCIS CSC cannot issue a final decision. These background checks are required to be completed on applicant who apply for an immigration benefit. Thank you for contacting Senator *******'s office."

Why was the background check delayed? My background is clean; I have not received even a speeding ticket. My opinion is that they found my file among the dust after the senator contacted them and are making an excuse. But I might be wrong :)....... but do you have any idea as to how long the background check might take? Do you think they will require a REF or an interview?

I am sorry, but this sounds like a bunch of BS. The background check (fingerprint) results are usually returned to USCIS from the FBI within 48 hours or less. If they meant "name check", then they are also full of it and do not know what they are talking about, because there are no FBI name checks for I-751. Also, there is a phone number here on this forum where you can contact the FBI in washington DC and they will tell you when your background check was returned to USCIS. I tried it and it worked. I just dont have it handy right now, maybe another member on this forum can provide it??

Edited by Immigrant1997

I-751 NOA Dated 3/16/2009 CSC

Biometrics done 4/3/2009

I am sorry, but this sounds like a bunch of BS. The background check (fingerprint) results are usually returned to USCIS from the FBI within 48 hours or less. If they meant "name check", then they are also full of it and do not know what they are talking about, because there are no FBI name checks for I-751. Also, there is a phone number here on this forum where you can contact the FBI in washington DC and they will tell you when your background check was returned to USCIS. I tried it and it worked. I just dont have it handy right now, maybe another member on this forum can provide it??

What is BS? Where can I find a phone number?

Thanks~

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline

Unfortunately, we are stuck in background checks AGAIN, too. If we ever get as far as filing the I-751 , we have come to expect the same will happen. Sigh.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Though I do not belong to this section and I am sorry to intrude but want to question something on the basis of the link Nagishkaw provided. Under the section "ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW " it says

"Administrative Review" refers to a Consular Official placing the case "on hold" because the Visa Petitioner or Beneficiary FAILED TO PASS the security name check or background check, or because the Consulate or State Department or Homeland Security NEEDS TO INVESTIGATE some issue or matter in the case more closely. "

As far as i knew people who are adjusting from their home countries i.e. from K1/K3/CR1/2 etc ...their cases may go into administrative review and involves consulates and of course FBI namecheck.

NOw people who are adjusting here from B1/B2, J1, F1, H1B etc , they do have FBI namecheck, before AOS interview...but does their case goes to the beneficiary`s home country consulate for administrative review ??

all answers wd be appreciated ...Thanks.

AOS
Married: June 9, 2008.
Visa expired : June 12, 2008
Filed for AOS . Sent through USPS Priority Express : March 03, 2009
Package Delieverd at USCIS: March 05, 2009
March 13, 2009 : Checks Cashed
March 13, 2009 : NOA 1 received on I-485, I-130, I-765. Dated March 11th, 09
March 17, 2009 : Biometrics Letter recieved (Dated 13th March). Interview on 1st week of April
April 2, 2009 : Biometrics done. Total time taken with wait 20 mins.
April 22, 2009 : Called USCIS. They have received fingerprints and work permit is in process.
May 7, 2009 : I-765 case online. Card Production ordered.
May 11,2009 : EAD card received.
May 12,2009 : Applied for SSN.
May 18,2009 : Received SS card.
June 08,2009 : Received Letter for Interview ( scheduled on July 14 th July )
July 14th : Great Interview. All done in 20 mins.
July 18th: Online status - Card Production ordered. Thank God !! I-130 online status : Pending
July 23rd : Welcome to USA & I-130 approval letter recieved. Online status still shows pending.
July 31st : Received conditional green card
Removing Condition
3/25/11 - Received reminder from USCIS to file for ROC
5/6/11 - Sent I-751 Packet to CSC via usps
5/9/11- Package delivered to csc.
5/11/11- Check cashed electronically by CSC
5/16/11- NOA 1 received
5/27/11 - Biometrics letter received.Scheduled on 06/06/11. Case Online
6/6/11 - Biometrics done
9/6/11 - Approved.Card Production Ordered
9/12/11- Card Received

Citizenship

10/13/15 : Sent N400

10/16/15 : NOA

11/13/15 : Fingerprints

11/17/15 : In Line for Interview

01/11/16 : Interview- Passed & Given Oath letter & Date by hand

01/14/16 : Oath Ceremony done & Naturalization Certificate in hand.Proud citizen of USA

Timeline

kodasmall3.jpg

I called 304-625-5590 today and they said that they already finished my background check in July 2008. I got my fingerprinting done last July. They also said that they received so many calls like mine previously. Does anyone know how long I have to wait? I have no idea about "background investigation." :crying:

Timeline

I just want to say that I feel just horrible that this is happening to you. It sounds like you have done everything there is to do within your power . I admire your courage, and I pray your situation gets resolved as soon as possible without any more delays.

kodasmall3.jpg

Guess what?! I got approved!! Finally, after almost a year of agony, I received the long-awaited letter today.

The letter's date of decision was 05/12/09, the same date that the senator contacted CSC. I hope this helps anyone who's in the same situation as me.

I've always envied all the people here who were approved and it's still not sinking in that I am experiencing this ecstasy of getting approved!

Thanks so much everyone for all of your support! :star:

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

i filed few expedite requests for my i-130 and always get the same answer( delayed due backround invastegation ) bla bla bla , but im still at the i-130 stage, can i call this number or this is only for ppl who filed i-751 and i-485??????????

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

no no i dont know if its complete but i was wondering im allow to call this number or not? my case is i-130 not i-485 or i-751, can i call this number and ask? bcoz i remember i called a different number one time and they told me we do finger print and your case is background invastegation , so id this the correct number to call ? thnx

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.