jundp

New Jersey student suspended for calling himself white, African, American

111 posts in this topic

I always tick "Other" on those ethnicity questions.

And I don't specify.

Concur, I check "Other" and write in Human.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
I wrote in "human" in the last census.

:lol:

They should make those questions pictorial.

Which of the following figures do you most resemble?

A. George Washington

B. W. E. B. Du Bois

C. Mahatma Gandhi

D. Mao Tse Tung

E. Osama Bin Laden

F. J-Lo

I love it. But then, if it's pictorial, the only female option is J-Lo....my butt may look like hers, but that's where the resemblance ends!

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

On forms, when they ask for your ethnicity, that is different from your nationality, correct? And when it comes to those questions, they are trying to differentiate between ethnic minorities.

Filed: Timeline
On forms, when they ask for your ethnicity, that is different from your nationality, correct? And when it comes to those questions, they are trying to differentiate between ethnic minorities.

no way, really?!?!

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Timeline

Yes, it is different brother.

no way, really?!?!

:jest:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Which should be illegal. I don't think they ask that in Canada. Ask for ethnicity has no real purpose other than to segregate people.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The best answer to write on that question is just:

"Yes"

Which should be illegal. I don't think they ask that in Canada. Ask for ethnicity has no real purpose other than to segregate people.

Well they do use statistics from those disclosures to assess whether or not a company or school has a racial bias in its hiring/enrolment procedures, for example.

Edited by Private Pike

Timeline

no way, really?!?!

The conventional meaning then of someone saying they are Irish, Indian or African-American is that they are referring to their ethnicity and not their nationality or even origin of birth. I think there's more to this story.

Timeline

"Yes"

Well they do use statistics from those disclosures to assess whether or not a company or school has a racial bias in its hiring/enrolment procedures, for example.

Maybe so, but that may not be accurate. Let's say fewer blacks apply to one university. Therefore, fewer blacks are accepted. If someone wanted to, they could view that information as the university acted "racially biased" based upon total enrollment of blacks.

Timeline

We have a long history in this country of discrimination based on skin color, so yes, ethnicity does matter. It'd be great if the world was color blind, but we aren't.

Timeline

We have a long history in this country of discrimination based on skin color, so yes, ethnicity does matter. It'd be great if the world was color blind, but we aren't.

And how are we supposed to become a "color blind world" if we keep insisting upon asking for ethnicity, thereby making subgroups within society?

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

"Yes"

Maybe so, but that may not be accurate. Let's say fewer blacks apply to one university. Therefore, fewer blacks are accepted. If someone wanted to, they could view that information as the university acted "racially biased" based upon total enrollment of blacks.

I'm sure it isn't entirely accurate - but unless we're prepared to state for the record that racism (and racial bias) comprehensively doesn't exist we can't exactly dismiss it out of hand.

It paints a snapshot of what is going on in society, though not one that should be relied upon on by itself.

Timeline

And how are we supposed to become a "color blind world" if we keep insisting upon asking for ethnicity, thereby making subgroups within society?

Insisting? You are not required to disclose your ethnicity when it comes to applying to get into a university, but some private scholarships are designated for certain ethnic minorities. I applied for a scholarship that was only available to children of Naval Veterans. When it comes to private organizations, they can discriminate who they award their scholarships to.

Edited by Col. 'Bat' Guano

Timeline

Insisting? You are not required to disclose your ethnicity when it comes to applying to get into a university, but some private scholarships are designated for certain ethnic minorities. I applied for a scholarship that was only available to children of Naval Veterans. When it comes to private organizations, they can discriminate who they award their scholarships to.

Absolutely. I completely agree with that.

However, if private organizations can discriminate based on ethnicity, why can't private business? I'm not suggesting we go back to the days of "no colored people served" or anything. But if it's perfectly legal and acceptable for private organizations to discriminate when lending money for scholarships, why can't private business do the same when choosing who it serves?