jundp

New Jersey student suspended for calling himself white, African, American

111 posts in this topic

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PD, based on the name (which sounds Portuguese), it appears his parents were Portuguese residents (perhaps born there) of Mozambique--which would make him African.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
This story doesn't pass the smell test.

Something seems very off about it.

It is from Joisey ... :P

There's a lot of weird stuff that goes on in the news here - like that family who named their kids after the leaders of the 3rd Reich. Kind of narrows down the areas you can go to with a name like that.

Timeline
PD, based on the name (which sounds Portuguese), it appears his parents were Portuguese residents (perhaps born there) of Mozambique--which would make him African.

We can certainly speculate. But it doesn't change the fact that the phrase has a different context and meaning in this country.

Timeline
This story doesn't pass the smell test.

Something seems very off about it.

... the fallout led to harassment and eventually his suspension from the school.

Details are needed.

Generally you don't get suspended from school unless you do something that breaks the rules, or if your work doesn't meet the academic standards - though the story seems to be suggesting that he was suspended because the school authorities were persecuting him because of his "African American" comments.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

look at me!

Black (in France you said ''black'', not ''african-french'' or something like that) by color

French citizen by birth

European citizen by referendum,

Ultraperipherique region of Europe

Caribbean geographically or west indians (by christophe colomb or in France ''antillais"")

French caribbean (around english, spanish, dutch countries)

Considered like a member of diaspora Africa by African people (afro-caribbean)

One day, american citizen

Married with a White man (caucassian)

*And some french can be called=

-negropolitain if they were born in France

It can be really difficult sometimes to determine who you are- It's easy for example, to be born in India, you know that you are Indian from Asia, and your citizenship is ''indian''.

I do my choice -french caribbean it's mine, what I will always be until my country is a french region- no matter where I will live.

It's difficult for me to tell ''I'm an african american''- I know it's used here, but I don't feel and I'm not an ''african american'', I'm a french caribbean or a caribbean or a creole.

But if I talked to some ''african american'' i will tell ''african american'' for not hurting them, but with my husband, i told '' white'' or ''black''-

And when I saw on some paper, are you ''african-american............''' I put ''other''- if they put ''are you black''- i put yes.

My children, will most likely considered like african-american (I don't really think that they will be, but It will be like that).

They won't consider themselves like caribbean, but for me they will be '' metis-french caribbean US born with all my nationalities and origins'' :whistle:

Edited by MIDUVIL

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I work for a university and there are limits on the number of aplicants that can refuse to state their ethnicity. So when they do an audit they tell us to go back and fill in the ethnicity (we are only allowed 5%). We have five categories thats it, some people do not fel they fit into those categories but we are told we have to put it down anyway, and... get this ...to guess if they don't check anything!!!

We have many international students from Africa. They are NOT African American! Yet this is what we have to put down.

Many of our international students from the middle east or north africa are technically caucasion but they don't want to tick that box. People don't like to be categorized so simply.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Filed: Timeline
Many of our international students from the middle east or north africa are technically caucasion but they don't want to tick that box. People don't like to be categorized so simply.

What does it mean to be technically caucasian?

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I always tick "Other" on those ethnicity questions.

And I don't specify.

As is everyones right to do, and I took issue with the practice that my school insisted upon and raised it with my manager. Someone else did it instead.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
It doesn't make a great deal of sense though.

Sense and racial issues in this country are generally a universe apart from each other. This story doesn't surprise me at all.

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007