chuck

Process for getting married before K-1 process is finished??

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Our 129F has been approved and we are in the process of completing packet 3.

What would happen if we get approved for a K-1, then get married in Thailand before moving to US?

Do we need to start the K-3 forms or can we just continue with the K1 process and say that we got married in Thailand instead of US??

12/03/05 - Mailed I-129F to VCS

12/05/05 - I-129F arrived at VCS

12/09/05 - Check Cashed

12/14/05 - NOA1 arrived

12/17/05 - NOA2 arrived

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The purpose of the K1 is to get married in the USA.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

City: Texas Hill Country Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You'd need to withdraw your K1 petition and file for a K3. Obviously, each of us have different circumstances, but most people won't recommend this. The K3 process is less straightforward, as I understand it, and it'll take easily another 6 months to complete.

Conditions Removed! Ten-year green card received 6/24/2009. No more USCIS for a very long time.

If you get married in Thailand, you need to pursue the options relevant to bringing a spouse into the US. The K1 is abandoned and you start all over again.

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

chuck,

If you get married in Thailand before moving to the USA then the K1 visa process is dead. But that doesn't mean that you have to apply for a K3 visa for her to come to the USA.

When you say "get married in Thailand" do you mean go to an amphur and submit the registration papers?

Yodrak

What would happen if we get approved for a K-1, then get married in Thailand before moving to US?

Do we need to start the K-3 forms or can we just continue with the K1 process and say that we got married in Thailand instead of US??

chuck,

If you get married in Thailand before moving to the USA then the K1 visa process is dead. But that doesn't mean that you have to apply for a K3 visa for her to come to the USA.

When you say "get married in Thailand" do you mean go to an amphur and submit the registration papers?

Yodrak

Well, as a married person you are no longer eligible to use the K-1, but you'd have the option of a K-3 or CR-1 route, if you're still planning on moving to the USA. It does mean starting over, however.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I asked this question before and was thinking about the same thing. I too was planning to get married back home in cambodia. After we obtain the visa, I was planning to go get married and bring her along with me to the state. But looks like NO was the answer to our question. Like other have stated, you'll have to start all over again if you do.

<07-05-06> sent out K-1 application

<07-12-06> K-1 recieved (transferred to CSC from Nebraska)

<07-17-06> 1st NOA1 recieved

<07-25-06> Touched

<09-18-06> Touched and approved

<10-20-06> Case sent to Bangkok embassy (NOA 2 Recieved)

<10-23-06> Case arrived at Bangkok Embassy (9:53 a.m)

<11-01-06> Packet 3 shipped from BKK

<11-15-06> Packet 3 sent to embassy via express mail (still waiting for packet 3 from embassy)

<12-12-06> Medical exam + Vaccination Done

<12-??-06> Packet 4 Still waiting

<12-28-06> Interview date

<12-29-06> Visa in hand

<01-30-07> POE Seattle, WA

<02-14-07> Applied for SS

<02-17-07> Recieved Packet 3 <----Almost 5 months later (LOL)

<02-24-07> Recieved SS

<02-27-07> Applied for ID

<03-01-07> Officially married<----Wohooo

<03-02-07> Name change @ SSA

<03-12-07> Recieved new SS

<05-02-07> Sent out AOS forms and fee

<06-01-07> Fingerprints done

<08-01-07> Interview date (AOS approved)

<09-15-07> My wife is pregnant

<04-29-09> Our son is born

<05-05-09> I-751 sent

<05-15-09> I-751 Receipt of Notice

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Is the issue here that the spouse's family wants to be at the wedding or something? Why not have a religious wedding but not actually officially register it, if so. Just do the wedding but don't do ANYTHING legal or like 400 people said you'll have to go back to square 1.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.