mlm399

certified marriage certificate for interview ??

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hi, we have our interview in Houston this Thursday. I've been putting things together last minute. I don't have a certified copy of our marriage license. The only one we got was the one we have already sent in with the I-485. I'm kinda nervous. I have the original marriage license, but it isn't certified like the other one that we have already sent in. Do you think this will be acceptable, seeing that on the letter we recieved in the mail one of the things we were supposed to bring was a certified copy of it????

Also, it mentions to bring along my husband birth certificate (he's from Ecuador) Again, the only one we actually have is a copy. The original we sent in with the I-485 AOS packet. I'm nervous about these two items. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts about these two issues?

I know I'm a slacker! I probally should have been more worried about his a week or two ago.

grrrr

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

why did you send to them the certified one? a regular photocopy is all that was needed... You can go to the county or whatever agency that registers marriages and get another certified copy

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Yeah, you can get it the same day, just run on down and get yourself a few copies! We got ourselves about 8!

12/10/08 - Sent I-130/I-485/I-765 from VWP

12/16/08 - Received

02/13/09 - I-765 Biometrics

02/17/09 - I-485 Biometrics

04/23/09 - Interview - Approved!

04/27/09 - Card production ordered

05/02/09 - Welcome to America letter

05/06/09 - Green card received!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I wish it were that easy! But we got married somewhere out in the boonies, and since we have moved to a new apartment. To get to the cour house we got our certificate at, it would take about an hour.....I'm a teacher, so couldn't go during the day, and our interview is at 9:30, so we couldn't make it an hour our in the oposite direction and then back downtown which is also kinda far for us.............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I mean if they supposedly have all of the stuff that we sent with the I485, then why the heck would they need to see another copy of the marriage certificate certified!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

i don't think i can take off another day of work just for this!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Well, here's how it can go. Take your original, if they ask to see a copy tell them you sent the certified in already (by accident). They should look at your case and find it and find it's a certified copy and that is the end of that (I sent in a certified copy and they didn't ask for another one). If they don't have it you can always show them the original and ask them if that is suitable. If they are not satisfied they will probably give you an RFE, in that case after the interview you can hopefully make your way down to the courthouse, get a few copies and send it in to hopefully complete your case. No problem!

Edited by bantam

12/10/08 - Sent I-130/I-485/I-765 from VWP

12/16/08 - Received

02/13/09 - I-765 Biometrics

02/17/09 - I-485 Biometrics

04/23/09 - Interview - Approved!

04/27/09 - Card production ordered

05/02/09 - Welcome to America letter

05/06/09 - Green card received!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Make sure that you have a copy and request the interviewer to give you the originals (do a swap) - he may or may not agree to it. You are asked to carry the originals (in case they want to check them, so its not a given that he will ask to see them). However, you should get the originals through the interviewer or by writing to the court house (certified copies were $2.50 for us in Orlando) - you will need to have them in your possession further down (for citizenship etc. - again send copies and keep originals in your possession - only to show at interview times). You may also want to ask your relatives to get another 'original or certified or notarized' birth certificate from Ecuador. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I got my interview date too this july 16,09 all the information is gathered except for my husband kids birth certificate, his kids is grown no costudy thing or child support anymore since his done to all of it. Im so confuse coz theres no way we could get all of his kids birth certificate one of them is not even here in colorado. please if u guys have any idea it might be a big help for us.

Anyway this is how it was stated in the list "If your eligibility is based on your marriage, in addition to your spouse coming to the interview with you, bring

"If either you and your spouse were ever married before, all divorce decrees copies "which we have already have a copy" and birth certificate for all children of this marriage, and costudy papers for your children and for your children not living with you. Do you think this is only applied to kids under 18 or what coz it dont make sense to me his oldest daughter is 22 and the youngest is 19 and this youngest girl have kids already and married too so basically all of them are all grown.

Pls pls i need ur help!!!!!

thanks,

emie

Hi, we have our interview in Houston this Thursday. I've been putting things together last minute. I don't have a certified copy of our marriage license. The only one we got was the one we have already sent in with the I-485. I'm kinda nervous. I have the original marriage license, but it isn't certified like the other one that we have already sent in. Do you think this will be acceptable, seeing that on the letter we recieved in the mail one of the things we were supposed to bring was a certified copy of it????

Also, it mentions to bring along my husband birth certificate (he's from Ecuador) Again, the only one we actually have is a copy. The original we sent in with the I-485 AOS packet. I'm nervous about these two items. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts about these two issues?

I know I'm a slacker! I probally should have been more worried about his a week or two ago.

grrrr

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline
I got my interview date too this july 16,09 all the information is gathered except for my husband kids birth certificate, his kids is grown no costudy thing or child support anymore since his done to all of it. Im so confuse coz theres no way we could get all of his kids birth certificate one of them is not even here in colorado. please if u guys have any idea it might be a big help for us.

Anyway this is how it was stated in the list "If your eligibility is based on your marriage, in addition to your spouse coming to the interview with you, bring

"If either you and your spouse were ever married before, all divorce decrees copies "which we have already have a copy" and birth certificate for all children of this marriage, and costudy papers for your children and for your children not living with you. Do you think this is only applied to kids under 18 or what coz it dont make sense to me his oldest daughter is 22 and the youngest is 19 and this youngest girl have kids already and married too so basically all of them are all grown.

Pls pls i need ur help!!!!!

thanks,

emie

grrrr

In the US, it is easy for people to get copies of their birth certificates, all they need to do is contact the correct office where they were born. The children can get birth certs in a couple weeks and send them to you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.