CaptainRubyHeart

Contemplating Divorce

102 posts in this topic

I'm sorry to hear all of this. But your husband has some real problems of his own. He doesn't take responsibility for any of his decisions -- he pushes the responsibility onto his parents and onto you.

He's really not a grownup.

If his attitude about counseling is not to try to repair the relationship and do some growing himself, I'm not sure I'd be up for the heartache. Then again, maybe a counselor could at least impress upon him that he's got a responsibility issue. It may help in the longer term.

I'm really, really sorry. You don't deserve this. Nobody does. :-(

BTW, homesickness wasn't wrecking your marriage.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So silly question....how can you be the controlling person who took him away from everything he knows and loves in Canada, when he willinging went down there and completed the Visa process so he could be with you in the US? Crazy!

ROC

Sept 9/11 - Sent I-751 Package in Mail

Sept 12/11 - Package received at CSC

Sept 15/11 - Cheque cashed

Sept 16/11 - Receive NOA for I-751

Sept 19/11 - Receive Biometrics Appointment Letter dated 9/15/2011

Oct 7/11 - Biometrics Appointment

Dec 2/11 - Greencard production ordered

Dec 3/11 - received email from USCIS advising card production

AOS

Aug 6/09 - Sent AOS, EAD, AP Package in mail

Aug 8/09 - Packaged received in Chicago

Aug 13/09 - Cheque cashed

Aug 17/09 - Receive NOA for I-485, I-765 and I-131

Aug 21/09 - Receive Notice for Biometrics Appt

Aug 24/09 - RFE Sent in Mail

Aug 29/09 - RFE recieved

Sept 3/09 - Mail back RFE package

Sept 5/09 - RFE package received

Sept 10/09 - I-485 case resumed

Sept 10/09 - Address changed on I-485, I-765 and I-131

Sept 15/09 - Biometrics Appt

Sept 28/09 - AP Approved, EAD Card Production Ordered Email #1

Oct 1/09 - Received AP Hardcopy in Mail, EAD Card Production Ordered Email #2

Oct 5/09 - Received EAD Card

Oct 29/09 - Received Interview Letter

Dec 2/09 - Interview --APPROVED!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
So silly question....how can you be the controlling person who took him away from everything he knows and loves in Canada, when he willinging went down there and completed the Visa process so he could be with you in the US? Crazy!

True. But I know I have felt that way many times since I've been here so I'm not going to judge him for feeling that way either, whether right or wrong.

Hope it works out for ya, Ruby. Keep your chin up.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

True. But I know I have felt that way many times since I've been here so I'm not going to judge him for feeling that way either, whether right or wrong.

i have felt this way too but what Sean needs to realize is that he's an adult who made this decision.

as my counsellor told me - there's a lot of "I" & finger pointing and "You" in this situation and the 2 people involved will need to change that to "we".

Ruby - i was in the same situation. Go to the counsellor even if Sean doesnt want to go. it will really help you. My ex said he would go to counselling and wouldnt go w/ me on appointment days. And he also wanted to leave the relationship and he did. I couldnt do anything about my relationship, but I went to the counsellor for myself cuz i was tired of being unhappy. At that point, all you can help is yourself. it was such a good feeling to get things out and find out what was really bothering me and being able to deal with it. its a great feeling when you get to the happy point again. I know people have mentioned that counsellors prescribe unnecessary pills/etc. My counsellor was a retired nurse (not doctor) so she said she couldnt prescribe medication and her practice was to do it naturally. Plus she has experience in observing suicides, alcohol & drug abuse and depression as she watched her father kill himself w/ a shotgun. So she dedicated her career in helping people get through these type of situations. I hope you find a counsellor as good as mine. No matter how the world around feels like its crumbling, going to the counsellor will help you get by. This is a good move for you.

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

Timeline

I think both of them are doing finger pointing. There are no victims in this marriage, the only victim is CRH and that was something that stemmed from a home invasion and unfortunately her husband now has to pay for the predator did to her and what I mean by that is CRH's unwillingness to be alone or allow herself to be alone.

CRH, you seemed bothered by him leaving well before he left. I am a firm believer in learning to stand on your own before leaning on someone else, and perhaps you haven't quite learned to stand alone yet. I understand you're afraid but surely you could have found another way to deal with it other than be that woman who called him crying and begging for him to come back while he was visiting family that he had just left behind. In a relationship that involves distance there is a strong chance that there will be time apart.

I do wish you luck, and I think you both need to take a few steps back and just take a breath. He may be feeling smothered right now and you are feeling alone. Both of you just need to wait for the waters to calm.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

i have felt this way too but what Sean needs to realize is that he's an adult who made this decision.

I'm also an adult that made that decision, but it doesn't mean it wasn't a hard one I struggle with every day. I don't like judging peoples situations, which is not what you are doing, but I don't like giving advice when we know so very little of both sides of the story. We are getting a one-sided-internet look into someone's marriage. A marriage is so complicated and I don't think it's all him or it's all her.

I agree with the counseling for the OP, though! It's a good idea.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

i guess its just disappointing to see one is stepping out of the relationship when you've come far with the immigration process and not give the relationship time to grow. With the amount of time that Sean has spent in US, it just make him seem like he didnt even give it a chance.

edit: i thought Sean didnt spend too much time in US. my mistake. i went back to the original post.

but something bothered me..... he wants to go back to canada for 3 weeks when he gets his GC? is he just trying to get the GC?

Edited by borderdriver

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Ruby, keep on the straight and narrow with your plan. I think you should welcome Sean back in a simple way (as in nothing over-the-top) and good for the two of you to agree to counseling. I'm glad his mom encouraged him to return to Texas. :)

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm so sorry.

Yes, I think you should see someone. From experience, I know you will never get completely over that vulnerable feeling. Your husband should have a little more sympathy and understanding. Shows a lack of maturity on his part, if you ask me.

I wish you luck.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
i guess its just disappointing to see one is stepping out of the relationship when you've come far with the immigration process and not give the relationship time to grow. With the amount of time that Sean has spent in US, it just make him seem like he didnt even give it a chance.

edit: i thought Sean didnt spend too much time in US. my mistake. i went back to the original post.

but something bothered me..... he wants to go back to canada for 3 weeks when he gets his GC? is he just trying to get the GC?

I doubt that, because if he wants to move back to Canada what use will the GC be to him there. Probably he couldn't go home to visit before he got his GC, if he was still under AOS.

Edited by JillA

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

CRH, you seemed bothered by him leaving well before he left. I am a firm believer in learning to stand on your own before leaning on someone else, and perhaps you haven't quite learned to stand alone yet. I understand you're afraid but surely you could have found another way to deal with it other than be that woman who called him crying and begging for him to come back while he was visiting family that he had just left behind. In a relationship that involves distance there is a strong chance that there will be time apart.

This might just be my irritability and confusion talking, but while I think you have a valid point about learning how to stand on one's own, I also find this comment to be offensive. I was very independent for a long time before marrying my husband, and even afterward. I was able to work two jobs in college, pay for my own car in full, buy my own house after college, and I got scholarships/grants to get through college without taking out loans (and graduated Summa Cum Laude). I'm doing really, really well at work and am an officer in my volunteer public speaking club. It frustrates me to no end that some jerk broke into my house and took my ability to be independent away from me. I don't think it's easy for most people to understand what that feels like.

Whoever it was who said that we can't really judge got it right. Heck, I can't judge and I'm in the situation. I have been very polite and pleasant toward Sean--I made it a point to be after he told me he wants to leave me. I don't think it's productive to be a big jerk when he was so upfront and shared his feelings with me, hurtful as they are. It's too soon to know what I really think of this or to know what to do.

September 2002 Met online

April 9, 2003 Started dating online

July 2, 2004 Met in person

July 17, 2005 Engaged one beautiful summer night in Campbell River, BC, Canada!

June 28, 2007 I-129F sent

November 29, 2007 First NOA received

December 28, 2007 Second NOA received

January 25, 2008 Interview appointment received

March 17, 2008 Interview passed!

March 18, 2008 K-1 visa received

June 5, 2008 Fiance moved to U.S.

August 9, 2008 Married!

September 8, 2008 I-485 and I-765 sent

October 10, 2008 Biometrics appointment

December 1, 2008 EAD received in mail

March 9, 2009 Green card received in mail

December 10, 2010 I-751 filed

April 3, 2011 I-751 approved, conditions lifted from green card

October 11, 2011 Filed for divorce

Timeline

Exactly. He was probably stuck in the US for awhile and was grasping at the chance of going home. I know I did! And if my husband called and bothered me during that time, I would have given him an earful as well.

However, it's a shame he doesn't want to work it out. It really is.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

It is always in the best interest to think "happy thoughts" and always keep an open mind. Sometimes I know I'm "right" - I just KNOW it! But, then, as soon as I step outta my little bubble, I can see other sides and I realize I'm only partially right or sometimes, not even right at all.

Again, just keep things simple and try to smile when you can. (F)

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This might just be my irritability and confusion talking, but while I think you have a valid point about learning how to stand on one's own, I also find this comment to be offensive. I was very independent for a long time before marrying my husband, and even afterward. I was able to work two jobs in college, pay for my own car in full, buy my own house after college, and I got scholarships/grants to get through college without taking out loans (and graduated Summa Cum Laude). I'm doing really, really well at work and am an officer in my volunteer public speaking club. It frustrates me to no end that some jerk broke into my house and took my ability to be independent away from me. I don't think it's easy for most people to understand what that feels like.

Whoever it was who said that we can't really judge got it right. Heck, I can't judge and I'm in the situation. I have been very polite and pleasant toward Sean--I made it a point to be after he told me he wants to leave me. I don't think it's productive to be a big jerk when he was so upfront and shared his feelings with me, hurtful as they are. It's too soon to know what I really think of this or to know what to do.

Yes, some of the comments here have painted you as a clinging, crying, dependant wreck who can't stand on her own two feet - i'm sorry that is the case Ruby.

You are traumatized and this is a very hard time for you. I wonder how many women here would be asserting their independence if they had walked half a block in your shoes.

We don't know your fear and hurt (and I hope no one else ever has to)

Again, I wish you well.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Well I didn't mean to offend you and I wasn't talking about being independent. I mean you just sound very dependent on him right now and he could be feeling smothered. You can't hold him accountable for the way you feel. It seems like you're angry at him for not dropping things to come home to you, it seems like you're angry that he isn't giving you the reaction you desire. All of this stemming from something that he didn't have anything to do with. And what is happening is NORMAL. But you need to go to counselling to deal with that event before you can deal with anything else with a clear mind because you are experiencing so many emotions that stem from that incident.

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.