ktun

Driving Test Experiences

23 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Well, we have a new car and AAA wont put me on the insurance without an Iowa DL, and I cant just trade my British Licence for an Iowa one as I read that you are able to in some states. Today I picked up the Iowa Driver's Manual and have been reading it all afternoon, making notes etc. However, I can't find anywhere, (a website, in the manual etc) where it tells you how many questions there are on the written test and how many you have to get right? Also for those who have taken the practical test, how long did it last and what did they ask you to do? Again the manual isn't helpful simply stating that the driving test shows how well you can control your vehicle and that the examiner will sit in the front seat scoring your driving ability.

What happened on your test?

Were you asked to perform maneuvers like reverse or parallel parking? Did you go on the Interstate? How long did it last?

Any info or help is much appreciated.

Thank you

Kate

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There is no State that does not require you to take a test. Not sure where you got that from.

I did my written test by mistake, I just went to enquire and was given a form to fill in, one wrong. I think you can get 5 wrong, but then you could have gone straight back in and done it again until you got enough right. Most were obvious, some required thinking about, I got the 4 way stop priority wrong, got my lefts and rights mixed up.

Whilst each State does its own thing, the one thing they have in common is that they are very easy, nothing to worry about. Just remember to STOP at Stop signs and obey the speed limit.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

When I took my written test I had not even read the manual and I passed with only 2 wrong.... the driving test was easy for me... the state trouper asked me to show the hand signals and then asked how long I had been driving in the UK (20 years) and how long here (8 months).... he then asked me to drive to the junction at the end of the road and make a left turn.... then take the next left and then the next left (I thought I had failed as we were back where we started) he told me to pull over at the side of the road and switch off the car... he then got out and walked round to my open window and handed me a slip of paper and said you are all set..... go inside and give them this and they will give you your temp licence today... Lasted all of 10 mins.... got my State licence in the mail about 10 days later....

Good Luck

Kezzie

p.s I got added to my husbands insurance with just my UK licence as it is valid for driving here in MA for 12 months from date of entry....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

i should have added that I am surprised that an Insurer would not cover you, most will. There are many people who can not get US DL's.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Here, the written test had 40 questions . You could get up to 5 wrong and pass.

The practical, driving part.....1st insurance, car registration and your id are checked out. Next, he stood outside and asked me to use indicators, lights, brakes etc....just so he knows you know what the knobs and dials are, and what they do. Also he checks vehicle is roadworthy.

The actual driving took 25mins. 8 rights..8 lefts...take a curve...park....reverse.....onto a motorway..off motorway...couple of lane changes... nothing complicated and voila !! My guy asked a few questions while driving, wasn't part of the test, he said he asked everyone that stuff cos it was all things you could get tickets for. Not a bad experience at all ;)

Kim

21/12/2005 arrive in time for Christmas with my baby !!

18/02/2006 We are married in Coeur D'Alene !!

16/05/2006 AOS and EAD sent off to the windy city. ( day 1)

27/05/2006 NOA's received...woo hoo !! ( day 12 )

09/06/2006 Appointment letter for biometrics arrives ( day 25 )

30/06/2006 Biometrics 11am at Spokane ( day 46 )

22/07/2006 Appointment letter for AOS interview arrives (day 68 )

04/08/2006 Without any warning.....EAD card arrives in the post !! ( day 81 )

24/08/2006 AOS interview at 7.30 am ( day 101 )

24/08/2006 APPROVED !!!

28/08/2006 Welcome to America letter arrives...gee thanks guys !! ( day 105 )

02/09/2006 Green card arrives ...woo hoo !! ( day 110 ) We can relax until 2008 :)

Each state is different

When i got my driver's license in NY long back, I had to do parrallel parking, Freeway driving, here in The san francisco bay area, my wife went for her driving test, there was no Parallel parking, no freeway driving, just basic maneuvers and they check if you respect the regulations.

Gone but not Forgotten!

There is no State that does not require you to take a test. Not sure where you got that from.

I did my written test by mistake, I just went to enquire and was given a form to fill in, one wrong. I think you can get 5 wrong, but then you could have gone straight back in and done it again until you got enough right. Most were obvious, some required thinking about, I got the 4 way stop priority wrong, got my lefts and rights mixed up.

Whilst each State does its own thing, the one thing they have in common is that they are very easy, nothing to worry about. Just remember to STOP at Stop signs and obey the speed limit.

Apparantly according to another topic in this Forum there are some States that do not require you to take the test if you can produce your Driving Record.

Anyway....

Thank you all for your info and suggestions. I understand that some insurance companies would have included me on the insurance, but my husband doesn't want to switch and to be honest my 12 months of being allowed to drive legally on my British Licence is coming to an end in September, so I really should get an Iowa Licence now. Also, I'm looking for a job and without being on the insurance, Craig will have to drive me to interviews and eventually to work, so I better get my licencing done sooner rather than later. Kezzie, I hope my test is as easy as yours!!

Thanks again

Kate

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

July 17 2008 - Touched

Hi All,

Well, we have a new car and AAA wont put me on the insurance without an Iowa DL, and I cant just trade my British Licence for an Iowa one as I read that you are able to in some states. Today I picked up the Iowa Driver's Manual and have been reading it all afternoon, making notes etc. However, I can't find anywhere, (a website, in the manual etc) where it tells you how many questions there are on the written test and how many you have to get right? Also for those who have taken the practical test, how long did it last and what did they ask you to do? Again the manual isn't helpful simply stating that the driving test shows how well you can control your vehicle and that the examiner will sit in the front seat scoring your driving ability.

Were you asked to perform maneuvers like reverse or parallel parking? Did you go on the Interstate? How long did it last?

Thank you

Kate

hi kate.........i am from canada, living in iowa....i only had to take the written test and i believe there were about 40 questions and without even looking at the book i passed the test.....canada and the u.s. is basically the same when it comes to driving and road rules.......good luck oh your test!!!........where in iowa are you? i am in des moines

Greetings!

Here in Michigan, went to secretary of state and took the written test and passed....everything was in the small manual that was given prior to the test.

The roadl test however involves two things:

1. basic skills : asking you to drive and stop, then 90 degree parking, parrallel parking...all will be tested right at their own parking lot.

2. actual road test

note: 10 minutes for the basic skills

35 minutes for the actual road driving

if i can do it then you will.....i guess i am the oly one who passed the test without experienced driving in the expressway but im glad that i made it....also i took the test on a Sunday morning and as early as 6:35 a.m...i was lucky to find an examine with a flexible timing for the test.

Goodluck Griffin :dance:

correction : road test instead or roadl test

examiner instead of examine

thanks!

Hi All,

Thank you

Kate

hi kate.........i am from canada, living in iowa....i only had to take the written test and i believe there were about 40 questions and without even looking at the book i passed the test.....canada and the u.s. is basically the same when it comes to driving and road rules.......good luck oh your test!!!........where in iowa are you? i am in des moines

Hi fellow Iowan :) I'm in Council Bluffs, so just a couple of minutes from the Nebraska border. I feel okay about the written test. I've been through the manual and got almost all of the practice questions right. Hope the actual driving test is not too bad. I have been driving here some on my British Licence, but it is a question of confidence. I really dont like driving on the Interstates, but apart from that I'm okay.

AOS TIMELINE

REMOVING CONDITIONS

July 17 2008 - Touched

I did some written tests on a site called driver's Ed - cost about $10 for 50 tests.

You can choose the state.

For the DMV exam there were 40 questions - multi choice and also then 10 seperate ones on road signs only. You have to pass both.

The practical test wasn't so bad - paralell parking/reversing straight ( not round a corner like the uk) no emergency stop !

Make sure that when turning left you follow the lane around and not pull over straight away into the curb lane.

Just remember to look in your mirrors often and also look over your shoulder when moving off and checking in the blind spot. They seemed pretty hot on this.

good luck !

Me - Gloucester England Him - Green Bay Wisconsin

1/10/05 Adjustment of status applied for for my son and I

1/19/05 Documents received and process started in Chicago

2/24/05 Fingerprinting and Biometrics done in Milwaukee

3/4/05 received in the post

3/7/05 Applied at local office in Green Bay for SSN

3/8/05 Received a print out of SSN number from the office and card is on it's way !

3/10/05 Got a job ! Server at Smokey Bones - will do for now while I'm looking for the right job !

3/16/05 card arrives

3/18/05 Got state ID Card

5/20/05 Appt interview letter received for 29th June 2005

6/16/05 After 3 interviews with Associated Bank have been offered a Personal Bankers Position to start on july 5th - excellent news 40 hours !!!

6/25/05 Passed my driving test !

6/29/05 APPROVED - Adjustment of status interview - Milwaukee

7/8/05 Green cards arrived for both my son and I

05/10/07 documents sent to lift conditions

05/24/07 letters rec'd extending green card and biometrics letters rec'd for 06/11/2007

06/11/07 Biometrics done in Milwaukee

04/11/08 letters received from UCIS transferring case to California from Nebraska service centre

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I actually ran a Stop sign on my driving test and still passed. (It was not really my fault.)

I know that here in Maine, it's a lot easier to get a DL than in the UK. :P

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Kate... there is a website that my son is using to help him study to get his learner's license... i will send it to you... maybe it can help...

http://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/practice-tes...p?source=google

go to the middle of the page where it says Take the DMV.ORG Drivers License Practice Test now...

hope that helps!

Tho' lovers be lost, love shall not... and death shall have NO dominion!

http://www.geocities.com/pulpi33/A1.htm

114959908992789.gif

The will of God will never take you,

to where the grace of God will not protect you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Really there is nothing to worry about. If you can pass a UK driving test then you can pass a US one!

I took the written test - studied and got all worked-up about it, for no reason at all. Then drove out of the DMV car park, 200 yards up the road, was asked to do a U-turn back to the parking lot - issued with license!

I was gob-smacked, it was so easy!

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Wow, thanks guys for all the responses. You've made me feel easier about it now. I tend to get in a state about these things and make silly mistakes that I would never make under normal circumstances, so I hope that I'll be able to relax some.

I dont have my Greencard yet, but the interviewer stamped my passport. Do you think I'll have to wait for the GC to arrive or will the stamp be enough to prove residency status at the DMV?

AOS TIMELINE

REMOVING CONDITIONS

July 17 2008 - Touched

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.