23 posts in this topic

hi to everyone here i just wanna know what is the best thing to do in applying the SSN# is it before getting married or after getting married ....hope anyone can help me please.thanks....god bless

AOS Timeline

07.25.09 sent AOS,EAD,AP

07.27.09 received aos by j chyba

07.30.09 NOAs for AOS,EAD,AP

08.07.09 biometrics done

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving:

Working & Traveling prior to getting a Green Card

If you do not enter on an immigrant visa then you will have to file for Adjustment of Status to become a Permanent Resident. During this time, you will not typically be able to work or leave the US without jeopardizing your immigration status unless you have an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or an Advance Parole (AP) from the USCIS. This section also covers getting a Social Security Number (SSN) and is for general discussion on all these topics.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
hi to everyone here i just wanna know what is the best thing to do in applying the SSN# is it before getting married or after getting married ....hope anyone can help me please.thanks....god bless

Before you unpack your suitcase! My wife applied for hers 16 hours after arriving. Her SS card was in hand in 6 days. She had her SSN and was added to our bank account 1 business day after arriving (you can call and get the SSN the next morning, the card takes 1-2 weeks, you don't need the card, pnly the number, I lost by SS card in 1973 and haven't needed it since). Get on it #1!!!!!!

K-1s are eligible for SSN immediately. Do not let untrained people at SS office tell you otherwise. Get a supervisor if there is any problem.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Before you unpack your suitcase! My wife applied for hers 16 hours after arriving. Her SS card was in hand in 6 days. She had her SSN and was added to our bank account 1 business day after arriving (you can call and get the SSN the next morning, the card takes 1-2 weeks, you don't need the card, pnly the number, I lost by SS card in 1973 and haven't needed it since). Get on it #1!!!!!!

K-1s are eligible for SSN immediately. Do not let untrained people at SS office tell you otherwise. Get a supervisor if there is any problem.

PS...for women. Apply in your MAIDEN name exactly as on your passport. Name changes and new cards all at once is to much for SS to handle. Do not attempt this, it annoys the pig.

After AOS, if you want to change your name, do so then.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

What about the advise to wait a week or more before going to SS office, since the beneficiary may not be in SS system yet? My understanding is that if you go too early, you may wait even longer since they will do a manual check, which could take several weeks.

What about the advise to wait a week or more before going to SS office, since the beneficiary may not be in SS system yet? My understanding is that if you go too early, you may wait even longer since they will do a manual check, which could take several weeks.

When in doubt on this forum

Follow Gary and Alla suggestion

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Timeline

No need to wait a week. The new entries are (or should be) updated in the computer every night. What you see on this site is the results of members contacting UNTRAINED SS employees and allowing themselves to be run off with made up excuses. The untrained clerk will rarely ask for assistance from a supervisor, you will need to do that. For some reason untrained people do not like to admit they are untrained (which is not their "bad") but rather like to make things up on their own to get rid of you (which IS their "bad")

VJ has since added this unnecessary "wait a week" advice to their guide which is not BAD advice, it is simply unnecessary. It is VJ deferring to the untrained. If you are denied or delayed an SSN for a K-1 visa, demand to see a supervisor and continue up the ladder until you find a trained person in the office. There is usually at least one. My advice to go straight from the airport to the SS office is a bit tongue in cheek, you have to wait until the next day.

Or drive to Burlington, VT and apply for the SSN. The clerks there know exactly what to do.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The beneficiary will never be "in the SS system" until you put them there by applying for an SSN. No one is "automatically" or magically "put into the SS system" SS is checking the "SAVE" system which is updated by CBP at your point of entry. The visa holder must be shown to have legally entered the country with her visa, THAT is what they are verifying. The SAVE system is updated every night at 12:01am. If the POE for some reason did not update the SAVE system (it is possible as computers WILL mess up on occassion, I know because I have one and it messes up sometimes, I do not think I am the only one) and even the supervisor at SS says you are not "in the system" then DO NOT submit an application. Wait one or two days and go back. In most cases you ARE "in the system" it just takes a trained person to find it.

Really, my wife applied the next morning after she arrived and had her card in hand in 6 days and the number itself the next business day.

K-2's are NOT eligible for an SSN without an EAD or GC, by the way.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline
No need to wait a week. The new entries are (or should be) updated in the computer every night. What you see on this site is the results of members contacting UNTRAINED SS employees and allowing themselves to be run off with made up excuses.

VJ has since added this unnecessary "wait a week" advice to their guide which is not BAD advice, it is simply unnecessary. It is VJ deferring to the untrained. If you are denied or delayed an SSN for a K-1 visa, demand to see a supervisor and continue up the ladder until you find a trained person in the office. There is usually at least one. My advice to go straight from the airport to the SS office is a bit tongue in cheek, you have to wait until the next day.

That BS. It's no sure thing that you be in the SAVE system by waiting 10 days, but SSA employees are supposed to hold the application until you have been here 10 days and try to verify your status again. However, some only check it once and go to the next step of the secondary electronic verification and that too comes back with immigration requesting to see a copy of your I-94 and off it's mailed with Form G-845.

True you are not required to wait, but it might stop greater delays from SSA doing the additional verification steps.

In Gary We Trust...............

One eyed man is king in the land of the blind. LOL

The beneficiary will never be "in the SS system" until you put them there by applying for an SSN. No one is "automatically" or magically "put into the SS system" SS is checking the "SAVE" system which is updated by CBP at your point of entry. The visa holder must be shown to have legally entered the country with her visa, THAT is what they are verifying. The SAVE system is updated every night at 12:01am. If the POE for some reason did not update the SAVE system (it is possible as computers WILL mess up on occassion, I know because I have one and it messes up sometimes, I do not think I am the only one) and even the supervisor at SS says you are not "in the system" then DO NOT submit an application. Wait one or two days and go back. In most cases you ARE "in the system" it just takes a trained person to find it.

Wrong.

If a person age 18 or older checks off on the DS-230 when applying for an immigrant visa and it works as it should they will be in SSA's system and an SSN record will be established and a card issued without the person having submitted a formal SSN application.

SAVE might update everyday, but the info doesn't get in there until it's keyed in there from the part of the I-94 they keep and I believe it's sent to a contractor in Kentucky. Some POEs might not send them everyday, so that's why you might want to wait the 10 days.

SSA couldn't care less about your visa. It's your I-94, I-766 or I-551 they are trying to verify and in most case to see if you have current work authorized status.

PS...for women. Apply in your MAIDEN name exactly as on your passport.

Wrong again If applying before getting married as a K-1 it;s the name on the I-94 that you have to use.

RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Name Data

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

C. Procedure - Immigration Document as Evidence of Legal Name

When an alien applies for an SSN card, presume the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

In cases where an alien applies for a replacement SSN card and submits an immigration document showing a name that is different from the name on the prior Numident record, accept the immigration document as evidence of the legal name. In these cases, the prior SSN card may have been issued in a name that was not the NH’s legal name.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Wrong.

If a person age 18 or older checks off on the DS-230 when applying for an immigrant visa and it works as it should they will be in SSA's system and an SSN record will be established and a card issued without the person having submitted a formal SSN application.

SAVE might update everyday, but the info doesn't get in there until it's keyed in there from the part of the I-94 they keep and I believe it's sent to a contractor in Kentucky. Some POEs might not send them everyday, so that's why you might want to wait the 10 days.

SSA couldn't care less about your visa. It's your I-94, I-766 or I-551 they are trying to verify and in most case to see if you have current work authorized status.

so if my husband check on the Ds-230 application.. he should get his SS card in the mail automaticaly we dont have to go apply for it?

Married:10-04-2008

USCIS

I-130 Sent : 12-12-2008

I-130 NOA1 : 12-18-2008

APPROVED: 03-05-2009

NVC

Case Entered Into NVC: 03-18-2009

NVC Sent DS-3032/I-864 Bill: 03-25-2009

E-mailed DS-3032: 03-26-2009

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill: 03-30-3009

Paid I-864 Bill: 03-30-2009

I-864 Bill Shows as PAID: 04-01-2009/printed the document cover sheet

Sent I-864 Package: 04-02-2009

NVC put the I-864 in system: 04-07-2009

Mailed Ds-3032 after not hearing anything about the e-mail overnight thru usps: 04-08-2009

(Same Day) got e-mail from nvc approving Ds-3032/ IV Bill (hahah)

Paid IV bill: 04-08-2009

IV Bill Shows as PAID: 04-10-2009/printed the document cover sheet

**** waiting for husband to send me police record****

NVC e-mailed Checklist: 04-21-2009/printed that cover sheet too

Sent Ds-230 overnight thru usps: 04-23-2009

AVR-Checklist Received: 04-24-2009

Sign in error to nvc website: 05-04-2009

Final Review: 05-05-2009

Case Complete @ NVC: 05-06-2009 (no Rfe for I-864 or Ds-230 yey)

NVC Scheduled interview: 05-11-2009

Received E-mail from NVC for Interview: 05-12-2009

NVC forwarded case to Naples: 05-12-2009

Embassy @ Naples Received case: 05-14-2009

Medical: 06-22-2009

Interview Date: 06-23-2009@8am 2 days b4 his b-day!! (Got Visa)

POE:06-30-09 JFK

bday006-1.jpglasvegasandindia495-1.jpgpic324123131.jpg

so if my husband check on the Ds-230 application.. he should get his SS card in the mail automaticaly we dont have to go apply for it?

If he entered the country as a permanent resident and checked off on the DS-230 and it works as it's supposed to work he should receive an SSN card in the mail within 3 weeks of entering the country. If he doesn't receive it within 3 weeks he needs to go into an SSN office to see what's the problem.

Sometimes it will partially process and there will be a pending application. If they can correct the problem he won't need to complete an application. Otherwise he will need to submit an application at the office and his immigration status will need to be verified before the application can be processed.

If he goes into the office have him take his birth certificate and passport with the I-551 stamp in it or his birth certificate and I-551 card.

RM 00202.315 Enumeration At Entry

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202315

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.