awaterlily

rec'd US passport but Naturalization cert is missing

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

My husband's passport arrived in 11 days from application sent (not expedited). :thumbs: We mailed the application along with his new naturalization certificate. However, the naturalization certificate was not returned with the new passport.

Does the gov mail it back seperately or should we contact them?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We paid for expedient service, cheap passport came in on a Wednesday and I had to sign for it, expensive certificate came in the following Friday in a cheap paper envelop from the same exact address with a first class stamp on it. But fortunately, it was not damaged nor lost.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep, they are sent in SEPARATE enevlopes

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
The Wife's passport arrived last Monday and her Certificate arrived on Friday. So this is normal.

May be normal, but still doesn't it make it logical, but logical is not even in the vocabulary of these governmental agencies.

it came in the mail today. :star:

Thanks for insight, everyone!

Good! Glad it went back to you timely. Is the natr. cert. fine? or was it folded/damaged? I hope not.

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

The Wife's passport arrived last Monday and her Certificate arrived on Friday. So this is normal.

May be normal, but still doesn't it make it logical, but logical is not even in the vocabulary of these governmental agencies.

:bonk: Really don't know what to say except :rofl: .

N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I wish the state dept would take a few more steps to ensure the safety of the naturalization certificates and passports. They are such important documents! Even if they had to charge a few dollars more. :unsure:

The above is not legal advice.

It is either from research or merely my opinion.

smiley-6061.png

vjsig.jpg

Timeline

jasminelily: It was returned in the same condition as sent, with the exception of two staple holes in the upper right hand edge.

MsAnn: ITA. I noticed on the Nat Cert's left hand lower corner, in red text, it states, in so many words, it's against US law to duplicate, photocopy or even photograph the Naturalization certificate. (this immediately made me wonder how many new immigrants broke this law because they were photographed holding their brand new certs.)

If it gets lost or damaged who knows how long one would have to wait to get a duplicate.

I wish the state dept would take a few more steps to ensure the safety of the naturalization certificates and passports. They are such important documents! Even if they had to charge a few dollars more. :unsure:

MsAnn: ITA. I noticed on the Nat Cert's left hand lower corner, in red text, it states, in so many words, it's against US law to duplicate, photocopy or even photograph the Naturalization certificate. (this immediately made me wonder how many new immigrants broke this law because they were photographed holding their brand new certs.)

hmm... does it say anything about scan or digitalized? how about all those when you go google images that popped up? :unsure:

N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

Timeline

I double checked and it says exactly in red text and caps:

"IT IS PUNISHABLE BY U. S. LAW TO COPY, PRINT, OR PHOTOGRAPH THIS CERTIFICATE WITHOUT LAWFUL AUTHORITY"

I would assume that 'copy' includes scanning or digitizing because in doing so one would make a copy, no matter the form.

hmm... does it say anything about scan or digitalized? how about all those when you go google images that popped up? :unsure:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

"IT IS PUNISHABLE BY U. S. LAW TO COPY, PRINT, OR PHOTOGRAPH THIS CERTIFICATE WITHOUT LAWFUL AUTHORITY"

I would assume that 'copy' includes scanning or digitizing because in doing so one would make a copy, no matter the form.

Even more strange, on this form that is the form you use if you lose your certificate N-565, it says on Part 2, #2, a., that if you have a copy of your certificate to enclose the copy :unsure: Maybe it's a trap :blink: (kidding)

Edited by MsAnn

The above is not legal advice.

It is either from research or merely my opinion.

smiley-6061.png

vjsig.jpg

Even more strange, on this form that is the form you use if you lose your certificate N-565, it says on Part 2, #2, a., that if you have a copy of your certificate to enclose the copy :unsure: Maybe it's a trap :blink: (kidding)

WITHOUT LAWFUL AUTHORITY - Does that mean that we can get a certified copy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_copy

A certified copy is a copy (often a photocopy) of a filed document, legal or other, in its entirety (everything within a staple) that is sworn to be a true copy by a court clerk or solicitor.

N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.