Martinmd

I-751 Frustration to the Max

10 posts in this topic

Sorry for the spam: I just need to vent for a moment. If you think of any other industry, $545 for a 2 page document would warrant overnight service. What the hell takes them up to a year for a standard application? I have tried to get a renewal for my driver's license in Texas and was declined because I have no valid I-551. The extension letter made no difference, even after speaking to the local supervisor.

This makes me feel so unwelcome that I consider taking my family back home to Europe. Has anybody else had those thoughts?

Thanks for "listening".

Martin

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

The USCIS is not particularly swift, but they say it's because of the overload of applications & petitions they must open each day. I am told the Texas motor licensing agency is also a bit of a mess. Be patient and good luck. Soon this will pass.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I know everyone usually suggests this but this might truly be a way to ease some of that frustration. Why not make an infopass appointment with your local office (if you haven't already) and tell them the situation with the driver's license issue. It is possible they will stamp your passport with the I-551 stamp (they do this sometimes...can't hurt to try). Maybe if that is done, the Texas DMV (or whatever they're called) will accept that?

We just applied for my husband's I-751...I don't anticipate him getting approved for at least a year. At least we're together through this long ####### wait and not separated as we were during the K-1 wait. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I hear you! It is extremely frustrating......I try to think of it as a funny story to tell in the future..... :blink:

See my timeline for all previous dates!

Naturalization:

6/28/09: Mail N-400 to Texas

7/6/09: NOA1

7/24/09: Biometrics

10/08/09: Interview

11/21/09: Receive oath date

01/22/10: Oath Date

With thanks to all the helpful people who made this journey slightly more bearable.

Sorry for the spam: I just need to vent for a moment. If you think of any other industry, $545 for a 2 page document would warrant overnight service. What the hell takes them up to a year for a standard application? I have tried to get a renewal for my driver's license in Texas and was declined because I have no valid I-551. The extension letter made no difference, even after speaking to the local supervisor.

This makes me feel so unwelcome that I consider taking my family back home to Europe. Has anybody else had those thoughts?

Thanks for "listening".

Martin

Has your Texas driver license expired yet? Don't quite understand why they're giving you so much trouble, perhaps like others suggested, get an I-551 stamp on your valid passport, hope that would help. Have you try renew online?

https://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/NASApp/rap/BaseRap

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Thanks you all for your support. I did try to renew online. In order to crack down on illegal immigration, Texas law prohibits renewal of a driver's license without proper identification of legal immigration status. And, smart as they are, they have two memos. One says a valid and UNEXPIRED I-551 is needed. The other one says in the fine print that legal permanent residence does not expire with the document. Given that it is a conditional green card, they felt it actually is terminated unless adjudicated otherwise.

I hope somebody can teach me some patience...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

When my wife was rejected for her drivers' license with a one year extension, I went with her, I was so angry, as soon as I got home, I called the our governors office, was put in contact with the brand new immigration officer that didn't know anything about the USCIS and spent a week instructing him via faxes and phone calls. After that, the governor called our local DMV office and she was issued a full 8 year drivers' license. At first they only wanted to issue it for the duration of her one year extension, I would not put up with that.

After she got her USC certificate, I took that to the DMV office, they didn't want to see it, just said, next time she renews, just check that she is a USC box.

Doesn't all this sound crazy?

Thanks you all for your support. I did try to renew online. In order to crack down on illegal immigration, Texas law prohibits renewal of a driver's license without proper identification of legal immigration status. And, smart as they are, they have two memos. One says a valid and UNEXPIRED I-551 is needed. The other one says in the fine print that legal permanent residence does not expire with the document. Given that it is a conditional green card, they felt it actually is terminated unless adjudicated otherwise.

Well... Seems like the only thing now you can do is to make an infopass, get am I-551 stamp on your valid unexpried passport, then show that stamp to the DMV in order to get renewal your driver license. Getting the stamp also has another advantage because some picky employers wouldn't take the extension letter as legal document and they must want to see the I-551 stamp as it's stated on the I-9 employment authorization form. So go ahead and make an infopass, that should take care of all the problems.

N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Well... Seems like the only thing now you can do is to make an infopass, get am I-551 stamp on your valid unexpried passport, then show that stamp to the DMV in order to get renewal your driver license. Getting the stamp also has another advantage because some picky employers wouldn't take the extension letter as legal document and they must want to see the I-551 stamp as it's stated on the I-9 employment verification form. So go ahead and make an infopass, that should take care of all the problems.

Somehow I couldn't edit my previous post, I do have one more point to add. Remember when you're at the infopass, they might give you a hard time for getting the stamp because you already have the extension letter. But be polite and patience with them, print out the I-9 employment verification form instructions before the appointment and bring it to show them, point it out to them the extension letter is not an acceptable document, that's why you need an I-551 stamp because only that is acceptable so you can show to your employer that you're still legal. They shouldn't turn you away, if they do, politely insist to talk to a supervisor or manager. Hope that helps!

N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.