LDora

What Are You Reading?

430 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I am about to finish CHASING HARRY WINSTON by Lauren Weisberger. It is absolutely horrid but I needed some chick-lit.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I went through a snooty phase during my final year of highschool and most of university where I only read "literature" that was either a classic or well thought of in academic circles. My husband reintroduced me to reading for the fun of it and reading things I actually like (not that I don't like all the others I've read, it's just that many I read only to be able to say I read them) so after finishing the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind I've begun the A Song of Fire and Ice series by George R. R. Martin.

Really enjoying it so far - Sword of Truth began to get painfully preachy after the fourth or fifth book, but I suffered through all eleven (plus A Debt of Bones) with the hope the series would end as good as it started. Man, was I disappointed. Very happy with A Game of Thrones so far, though!

Slightly off topic, but is there also a thread for 'what are you watching?' i.e. tv/movies? Cause I think that'd be fun.

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

Slightly off topic, but is there also a thread for 'what are you watching?' i.e. tv/movies? Cause I think that'd be fun.

Not that I'm aware of; I don't think you've started it yet. ;)

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

*** If you add me on Twitter or Facebook from here, let me know who you are so I don't ignore/block you out-of-hand 'cause I don't recognize you! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, my Chinese trend continues. I am currently reading Shadow of the Silk Road by Colin Thubron, 2006. Here is the back of the book info: "To travel the Silk Road, the greatest land route on earth, is to trace the passage not only of trade and armies but also of ideas, religions and inventions. Making his way by local bus, truck, car, donkey cart and camel, Colin Thubron covered some seven thousand miles in eight months- out of the heart of China into the mountains of Central Asia, across northern Afghanistan and the plains of Iran into Kurdish Turkey - and explored an ancient world in modern ferment." His narrative is absolutely phenomenal - I wish there were photographs to accompany his journey, but his words paint pictures and bring alive the incredible landscape and adventures of his journey. He is travelling this route while the SARS epidemic is underway, and the effects affect every step along his journey which adds another surreal aspect to the account. Here is an example of his writing:

"For hundreds of miles my bus covered a wind-torn wilderness, its surface glazed with pulverised stone swept down from the Kun Lun. The stillness of the previous night had gone. Somewhere in the desert's core a storm was raging, and soon the sand was streaming over the ground in low, scudding waves, and the sky had dimmed to premature dusk. Objects appeared and melted in the half light - tamarisk trees, an abandoned truck. The sun died to a white stain. Occasionally we stopped at tiny settlements where sheep were grazing on litter, and brushwood fences bent against moving sands." p 113

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I still haven't read a book in such a long time.....

But recently I've been more motivated to read to my son, ever since our local library started its children's summer reading program...

Lol..might as well start them young I suppose....It's never too early to start reading! :star:

So I guess that counts in some way or other as 'what are you reading'...lol...

One of the books we can't get enough of (lol..thanks to OBX for that book...;)..)

"Love you forever" by Robert Munch, who is Canadian.....

And I think at times my son takes this book literally....

As nowadays he's like the boy on the cover...Always getting into things..

Heck, he just got into the bathroom the other day....

And just like the boy in the book, started playing with the toilet paper...Yuck!

Lol..Since then we've locked the bathroom doors...but yeah, it's quite the sight to see!

And who knows maybe he'll find daddy's watch and flush it....lol...

But yeah, this book is a classic! We all love the story and illustrations!

As well, we've been reading

"Goodnight Moon", "Runaway Bunny", and other children's books like that...

Lol..my library card is getting quite the workout too...

Might as well put those property tax dollars to good use too, I suppose..

It's quite funny when we go to the library....baby on one arm, 10-20 books on the other arm, baby bag over the shoulder...

But it's all worth it......Reading to your children...:)

Happy reading everyone! Enjoy all those books!

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

Kathryn, I have been following your lead. I finished the Lisa See books and have moved on to Amy Tan.

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

I just finished The Accidental Bestseller, by Wendy Wax, which I thoroughly enjoyed as it's an accurate description of (my ex-career) the publishing industry. I am now reading The Twentieth Wife, by Indu Sundaresan, which is about Empress Mehrunnisa - the Mughal Empress of India. I am enjoying that one too.

One question that I have that someone may be able to answer: Why do books in America that are fiction often have the words 'a novel' on the cover? Surely it's self-explanatory that it's fiction if that's the section it's in? Maybe that's just me.

Well, my Chinese trend continues. I am currently reading Shadow of the Silk Road by Colin Thubron, 2006.

Kathryn, if you're interested in reading more China non-fiction you should try to get hold of this: http://www.greatwalldvd.com/ (the book, not the dvd). The guy who took the trip / wrote the book was one of my law tutors at uni.

Timeline

Kathryn, if you're interested in reading more China non-fiction you should try to get hold of this: http://www.greatwalldvd.com/ (the book, not the dvd). The guy who took the trip / wrote the book was one of my law tutors at uni.

Thanks! I'll take a look for that - it sounds interesting.

I just picked up at the thrift store yesterday another interesting book identified as Women's Studies/Asian Studies called Wild Swans "Three Daughters of China" by Jung Chang (Anchor Books, 1991) - a biographical account of the author's grandmother, mother and her own stories starting in 1909. One of the review 'snippets' on the back states " There has never been a book like this. Jung Chang vividly evokes Chiina's sights, sounds and smells to create what must be one of the grimmest, yet most perceptive accounts of growing up middle class in the maelstrom that has swept China since the 1920s". It looks intriguing.

Sachinky - I just saw your question about Marriage Shock - I am still reading it but, yes, I am finding it very interesting and informative. I suspect some of what it discusses is part of my 'problem' as well - parental imprinting at work! I would say it is worth buying, yes.

OBX: Kathryn, I have been following your lead. I finished the Lisa See books and have moved on to Amy Tan.

Hehehe, I don't know what it is but they sure are addictive! :yes:

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I went through a snooty phase during my final year of highschool and most of university where I only read "literature" that was either a classic or well thought of in academic circles. My husband reintroduced me to reading for the fun of it and reading things I actually like (not that I don't like all the others I've read, it's just that many I read only to be able to say I read them) so after finishing the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind I've begun the A Song of Fire and Ice series by George R. R. Martin.

Really enjoying it so far - Sword of Truth began to get painfully preachy after the fourth or fifth book, but I suffered through all eleven (plus A Debt of Bones) with the hope the series would end as good as it started. Man, was I disappointed. Very happy with A Game of Thrones so far, though!

Song of Fire and Ice are my favourite books! Wait till you get to A storm of swords, I couldn't put it down. :D

0vi7t8.png

Timeline

Song of Fire and Ice are my favourite books! Wait till you get to A storm of swords, I couldn't put it down. :D

Ah, hence your username :) I just finished A Game of Thrones, going to get the second book later this week. I really enjoyed it, and I love how it isn't predictable! My husband is on his way back to the US in a few days, so he'll be taking A Game of Thrones to get all caught up with me, haha.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ah, hence your username :) I just finished A Game of Thrones, going to get the second book later this week. I really enjoyed it, and I love how it isn't predictable! My husband is on his way back to the US in a few days, so he'll be taking A Game of Thrones to get all caught up with me, haha.

Exactly, she's my favourite character :D

0vi7t8.png

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.