StoryAngel

Got my TX DL!! :)

44 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Well, that was comparably painless.

We went to the TX DPS place. Showed my green card, SS card, proof of insurance for my car, registration receipt for the car to the gal behind the counter. Filled out a bunch of forms, swore that everything was true. Vision test (press head against machine and read the 4th line out loud) Then I was handed a receipt with a number and pointed towards to corner of the room, where a bunch of other applicants was doing their tests.

As soon as it was my turn, I went, clicked OK, entered the number on the receipt, was helpfully shown how to select the correct answer by the computer as the first two tasks were picking my name and date of birth (multi choice).

30 questions and as soon as you picked one, it showed you whether you got it right or not. Super easy, if you have any time behind the wheel whatsoever, you should not fail (70% correct required to pass). I had one wrong (how many days will a teenager's license be suspended on his first DUI. Well ####### do I know. Turns out it's 180 days, not 30), had to guess at one (at least how far away should one park from a fire hydrant. 15 feet, I guessed correctly), remembered the correct answer for one from reading the TX driver's handbook, available online: if your car skids, take foot of gas and steer into the direction of the skid).

The rest was just stupid ####### like what does the shape of this sign indicate, how will marijuana affect a driver and stuff. Again, got them all right except one.

Turns out that no appointment was needed for the driving test either, we could do it right away. So we did. First, it was show me your turn signals all around, lets hear the horn...OK. The gal hopped into the passenger seat of my wife's car, I made a production out of laboriously adjusting the mirrors and seat. Off we went. Right in the lot they had a little bay marked with two poles. I always wondered what that was for. Turns out that was their little parallel parking setup. I parallel-parked while she was explaining, and we got done (she explaining, me parking) at the same time. OK, now please leave the parking lot. Again, made a show out of looking over my shoulder, blinking and using the mirror when leaving that bay. Scribble scribble. Before we got anywhere near the exit of the parking lot, she asked to stop right here. I --gently!-- stopped right there, looking at her expectantly. Oh...now she wanted me to back up in a straight line. 'k. Usually I'd do that using the center and wing mirrors, but I know for a fact (TX DL handbook again) that they want you to keep one hand on the wheel and turn around looking out of your rear window. Did that.

Off we went first on the loop (state highway going around town) with some mandatory merging at your own judgment. Check shoulder, mirror, blinkity blink, move over. Scribble scribble. Then through some neighborhoods. Across some intersections with stop signs, equally ranked roads without signs, and yield signs. Then we came upon a scene that just stank of a setup, seriously! A freaking SOCCER ball in my lane, two kids sitting on the curb and a couple of adults on the porch. I couldn't stop myself from asking the tester if they're paying those people. She laughed. Looked like right out of the instruction book. Gently I decelerated to walking speed, keeping one eye on oncoming traffic, one on the ball and one on the kids as I moseyed past them and around the ball. That was pretty much it. Went back the same roads to the DPS building, was told to park the car pretty much anywhere (another trap! a Ford SUV was parked in the middle of the parking lot with a bunch of urban yoof loitering about. Sure, let me just honk at them and gesticulate wildly!) Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it did look like another setup. Gently I moseyed past these too, parked the car between the lines and well, that was that. "VERY GOOD! :ohmy: You have passed the test. :thumbup:, please go inside to the counter, and they'll give you your license!" Thumb prints, photo, signature...

So now I've got a temporary paper printout of my license. The printout is good for 60 days, and the license itself valid until my birthday in 2015 (which is longer than my conditional green card is valid). Yay!

Oh, and never once was I even asked about my German license; just about other licenses from other states or provinces. Which I didn't have.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hubby got his TX DL today. :D

Was really simple and painless, except his ditz of a wife (that's me) had the wrong insurance card in her car so we almost weren't able to get the road test done. Luckily we were able to print out proof nearby. :rolleyes:

Anyway, he passed easily and with flying colors. :dancing:

We didn't ask specifically, but since the tester asked specifically if hubby had a PR card, it sure seemed like we would be getting the "regular" DL as opposed to that temporary visitor one.

LOL, just realized that's hubby's post above me.

Edited by trillium13
24q38dy.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

:lol: It's funny that his post is so much more descriptive than yours. I find that women usually give more details, but I guess not always!

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
It's funny that his post is so much more descriptive than yours. I find that women usually give more details, but I guess not always!
Agreed, yet the detail (from whomever) may be exceptionally enlightening and useful for others. Thanks, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
It's funny that his post is so much more descriptive than yours. I find that women usually give more details, but I guess not always!
Agreed, yet the detail (from whomever) may be exceptionally enlightening and useful for others. Thanks, si man.

Especially the hint about reading the drivers' handbook. :innocent:

I would have still passed had I not read it, but by a much less comfortable margin.

:lol: It's funny that his post is so much more descriptive than yours. I find that women usually give more details, but I guess not always!

LOL, He's much more social and chatty than I am, in general...;)

24q38dy.jpg

Nick went to get his new license with the temporary visitor removed three weeks ago and still no license in the mail. His first one came quickly. He called and the guy said it could be awhile because they are migrating data or using a new system. He even said if you don't have it by the time the paper license expires, go ask for a new paper one. We read that the DPS computer system was compromised by a virus so they may have a mess in Austin. Anyway, if you license doesn't come for a long time you'll know why.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

What does that DD number mean (at the bottom)?

And what does End P mean?

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Finally!! Last week I passed the written part of the DL test. Two days ago I failed the driving part (on parallel parking... :whistle: ) but passed it at 8am this morning in the MIDDLE OF A THUNDERSTORM!! Pretty crazy, and only 3 deductions!! :dance:

Some tips

• Written test

There were a LOT of questions on how much penalties were (especially the stuff about teenagers). There were also a lot of road signs. I did the test on computer and you can skip questions you're not sure about and come back to them later. I initially skipped a couple of the "how much is this penalty" ones as I was a little hazy on them, and answered enough of the other questions to pass! It's out of 30 and once you reach 21 you've passed and don't have to answer any more.

• Driving test (I'm in Houston)

I had to show up by 7am on whichever day I wanted to take the test. The first time we were there just before 7am and there were about a dozen people there. By 7.30am this had grown to about 30 or 40. This morning (in the rain) there were only half a dozen of us. Really quiet.

• Practice parallel parking! It was just about the first thing in my test and took me by surprise the first time (which is why I failed). But you can practice in the actual parking spot used in the test outside DPS working hours. We did that a LOT in between my two tests and it made it a whole lot easier.
    • Make sure you observe speed limits, including not driving too slowly. One guy I spoke to failed because he'd observed a school zone speed limit when it wasn't necessary and was penalized for holding up traffic. Also make sure you take note of reduced speed limits in construction zones! There's a construction zone right outside our local DPS and lots of people had been failed for driving too fast there.
    • Use your turn signals ALL THE TIME! Including indicating going into and out of the parallel park. Another thing somebody was failed on, evidently.
    • Make it obvious you're using your mirrors throughout the entire test.
    • Try and avoid taking your test in a thunderstorm like I had to! ;)
Any new TX drivers out there? As GC holders do we get slammed by this new regulation and get Temporary Visitor stamped on our DL? I'd be interested to hear from anyone else in this position... :thumbs:

Congrats! and thanks for the info... I'll be in Houston soon... :innocent: so I'm gonna practice the parallel parking too... :blush:

Embassy Journey

06-08-2009 - 1° Interview Cool :) THANKS GOD!!!

06-15-2009 - 2° Interview :) APPROVED!! Yeess!! THANK YOU GOD!!!!

06-17-2009 -Visa is Ready!!

07-12-2009 -US Entry con mi esposo!!! :)

as1cA8hag2B0610MTA3NjUwc3wyMDY5NjRzfExvIG1lam9yIHEgaGEgcGFzYWRvIGVuIG1pIHZpZGE.gif

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Nick went to get his new license with the temporary visitor removed three weeks ago and still no license in the mail. His first one came quickly. He called and the guy said it could be awhile because they are migrating data or using a new system. He even said if you don't have it by the time the paper license expires, go ask for a new paper one. We read that the DPS computer system was compromised by a virus so they may have a mess in Austin. Anyway, if you license doesn't come for a long time you'll know why.

yep, we got told that too. and also, for the non-citizen licenses, i overheard the guy telling another non-citizen that they don't mark the actual DL but it will show up in the system when they run a check.

Timeline
yep, we got told that too. and also, for the non-citizen licenses, i overheard the guy telling another non-citizen that they don't mark the actual DL but it will show up in the system when they run a check.

I'm perfectly fine with that. I just don't think my immigration status is any Tom, John, and Harry's business. "It's OK with the Federal freaking Government, and you, being a lowly Walmart cashier half my age, are out of line!"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm perfectly fine with that. I just don't think my immigration status is any Tom, John, and Harry's business. "It's OK with the Federal freaking Government, and you, being a lowly Walmart cashier half my age, are out of line!"

lololol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.