suzukiwookie

My SSN experience so far.

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I waited 2 weeks and 1 day and decided to go into the local Social Security office today expecting that they already had me on the SAVE-AVSI system. When I sat down I first told the lady "please let me know if I am not yet on the system before you process me any further, as I do not want to continue with this process today if that's the case." She seemed kind of perplexed that I knew so much about their procedures (thanks once again to VJ!!!). And as the lady was processing my application, surely enough, the computer told her that she had to verify me manually. So I asked her how long it would take, and she said that it could be anywhere from 2 days to 12 weeks. She said "It depends how busy they are over there [refering to the POE]" and as any of you who read my POE review would know, I figured that it would be closer to 12 weeks! So I had her cancel the process and I'm going to try going back next week. After all, now that I have to wait for EAD I have all the time in the world... :wacko:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That is so annoying! argh!

I wanted to get a SSN as soon as possible so I could be added to the fiance's financial accounts and all that... Which makes me think of a question... When you file AOS do you need to provide proof of a bonafied marriage? Like shared assets, bank accounts, bills, things of that nature? Because if you do, not being able to get an SNN for a while would really delay that... Otherwise, maybe i'll just wait til after the wedding so I can get it in my married name?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I wanted to get a SSN as soon as possible so I could be added to the fiance's financial accounts and all that... Which makes me think of a question... When you file AOS do you need to provide proof of a bonafied marriage? Like shared assets, bank accounts, bills, things of that nature? Because if you do, not being able to get an SNN for a while would really delay that... Otherwise, maybe i'll just wait til after the wedding so I can get it in my married name?

Yes, you have to show paperwork to prove it. When i say this, it's just my opinion, not yet experience - but I really don't think that they turn away many people at the AOS interview unless they think something is REALLY fishy! Like maybe a Gigolo-looking guy with a woman twice his age who don't know anything about each other, can't keep their stories straight, and who seem really nervous and shifty looking! lol So I am actually not too worried about it myself. If you are a real couple, even if you don't have too much paperwork to prove it, I think it's still evident and I'm sure they let you be together. I still don't have a SSN (as the story above reads) but we have joint car insurance, and we have a joint bank account that I got at RBC USA when I was still living in Canada. And I'm sure that my US driver's license (when I get it) will have my us home address. And I don't really think they'll need much more. So if you are in a bonafide marriage, I think they can tell. I hope this is true when I actualy get to the AOS part. But so far in this process I have found that it was easier than I expected. But I don't regret over-preparing.

Edited by suzukiwookie

Timeline

Of course - the reason you're filing for the adjustment from the K1 status to perm resident is BECAUSE you have been married. But the AOS doesn't ask for proof of marriage beyond the marriage certificate. AOS isn't looking for you to have a SSN yet, although you may depending on whether you've gotten around to it.

PS - the other proof of marriage (joint accounts etc etc...) will come into play when you reach the 'Removing conditions' phase on the 2 yr greencard

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Actually, Udella, that is not the case.

When you file AOS and you go to your interview, they ask for joint assets. Most of us have to go out of our way to provide proof of this. I put myself on my husband's lease, I showed them proof of me being under his health insurance, and I showed them our joint bank account statements.

They took all of it.

If you have no joint assets at all, they have the right to assume you married just for a greencard. You can have joint assets without having a SSN.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Ahh - didn't realize that was being asked....but when you first apply, you wouldn't have much to offer since you had just gotten married.

I agree that by the interview these things are supposed to be there. Good catch

I was lucky - no AOS interview...had there been one, I too would have had joint things to show proof of our marriage.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Ok so lets me get this straight... When you file AOS you don't have to include prof of a bonafied marriage but you do if/when you have your AOS interview? I was under the impression that you had to include this information when you first file. But don't you need an SSN to get a US bank account and things of that nature? (sorry for completely hijacking your thread Suzuki!)

This is very interesting to me because I am just now starting the process. I am thinking about applying for the EAD and then AOS later. We can apply for the SSN in about 5 more business days. I am still trying to figure out my plan of attack. I am eager to be passed the next phase of paperwork. This dialogue has been helpful...Thank you.

K-1

I-129F Sent : 2008-10-10

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-10-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-03-01

Visa Received : 2009-03-20

US Entry : 2009-03-26

Marriage : 2009-05-23

AOS, EAD, AP

Date Filed : 2009-06-04

NOA Date : 2009-06-11

Bio. Appt. : 2009-06-23 (original date July 10th)

AOS Transfer: 2009-07-02

Touch: 2009-07-03

Touch: 2009-07-06

Touch: 2009-07-07

Touch: 2009-07-08

Touch: 2009-07-10 with email regarding pending status.

Touch: 2009-07-20

Touch: 2009-07-21

AP and EAD Approved: 2009-08-03

AP Touch: 2009-08-04

AP Touch: 2009-08-05

EAD second email and Touch 2009-08-06

EAD Touch: 2009-08-07

AOS Approved: 2009-08-10

ROC: petition filed 5-18-11

NOA1 received 5-27-11

Biometrics 7-11-11

Decision Date 1-9-12

Approval letter 1-12-12

Timeline
Ok so lets me get this straight... When you file AOS you don't have to include prof of a bonafied marriage but you do if/when you have your AOS interview? I was under the impression that you had to include this information when you first file. But don't you need an SSN to get a US bank account and things of that nature? (sorry for completely hijacking your thread Suzuki!)

Yes, when you send in your AOS package, you only send your certified marriage cert. But no bills, lease, etc. If you get called for an interview, then you must bring proof then. Or if you're lucky and get approved w/o an interview, you'll still need that proof to remove conditions

Yes you need an SSN (most often) to get a US bank account, but you should definitely have your SSN by the time you're called for an interview, that's usually months after applying for AOS. However, you don't need an SSN for most things of proof, such as joint lease, bills, health insurance, etc.

This is very interesting to me because I am just now starting the process. I am thinking about applying for the EAD and then AOS later. We can apply for the SSN in about 5 more business days. I am still trying to figure out my plan of attack. I am eager to be passed the next phase of paperwork. This dialogue has been helpful...Thank you.

This is not a good idea I don't think - because you need to apply for AOS/AP/EAD at the same time as it's $1010. I don't know if you can first apply for EAD without applying for AOS, I don't think you can do this.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Yes. Everything Jilla says is right to my knowledge.

And you can't apply for an EAD and not AOS. If you came here on K-1 and have gotten married, you are technically out of status right now and need to file AOS.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
This is not a good idea I don't think - because you need to apply for AOS/AP/EAD at the same time as it's $1010. I don't know if you can first apply for EAD without applying for AOS, I don't think you can do this.

Yes you can apply for EAD before AOS, but when approved it will expire concurrent with the I-94 (at a cost of $340)... Since it could take 60-90 days to receive it, the chances of getting it before it is ready to expire is slim.

YMMV

Timeline

Yes you can apply for EAD before AOS, but when approved it will expire concurrent with the I-94 (at a cost of $340)... Since it could take 60-90 days to receive it, the chances of getting it before it is ready to expire is slim.

So that's why you should apply for all 3 at the same time, why wait and then pay $340 extra when you probably won't even get it before it expires.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

So that's why you should apply for all 3 at the same time, why wait and then pay $340 extra when you probably won't even get it before it expires.

Thanks for the advice. Trying to get organized. Doing it all at once sounds like a good idea. Applying for our marriage lis. today. SSN next week. The situation with when things expire and when my Fiance can work is a little fuzzy. Some people have told me he can work with the K-1 and others say he needs to apply for the EAD first. We have only been here a week so we have time. Again Thanks!!

K-1

I-129F Sent : 2008-10-10

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-10-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-03-01

Visa Received : 2009-03-20

US Entry : 2009-03-26

Marriage : 2009-05-23

AOS, EAD, AP

Date Filed : 2009-06-04

NOA Date : 2009-06-11

Bio. Appt. : 2009-06-23 (original date July 10th)

AOS Transfer: 2009-07-02

Touch: 2009-07-03

Touch: 2009-07-06

Touch: 2009-07-07

Touch: 2009-07-08

Touch: 2009-07-10 with email regarding pending status.

Touch: 2009-07-20

Touch: 2009-07-21

AP and EAD Approved: 2009-08-03

AP Touch: 2009-08-04

AP Touch: 2009-08-05

EAD second email and Touch 2009-08-06

EAD Touch: 2009-08-07

AOS Approved: 2009-08-10

ROC: petition filed 5-18-11

NOA1 received 5-27-11

Biometrics 7-11-11

Decision Date 1-9-12

Approval letter 1-12-12

Timeline

Thanks for the advice. Trying to get organized. Doing it all at once sounds like a good idea. Applying for our marriage lis. today. SSN next week. The situation with when things expire and when my Fiance can work is a little fuzzy. Some people have told me he can work with the K-1 and others say he needs to apply for the EAD first. We have only been here a week so we have time. Again Thanks!!

They were probably referring to the supposed "WORK AUTHORIZED" stamp that used to be given out at POEs.... maybe they're an urban legend, no one I know has ever gotten one, I don't think they do that anymore. If he wants to work, he must apply for EAD. Simple as that, no way around it. So I definitely recommend applying all at once! You don't need the SSN to apply for AOS.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

Yes, when you send in your AOS package, you only send your certified marriage cert. But no bills, lease, etc. If you get called for an interview, then you must bring proof then. Or if you're lucky and get approved w/o an interview, you'll still need that proof to remove conditions

Yes you need an SSN (most often) to get a US bank account, but you should definitely have your SSN by the time you're called for an interview, that's usually months after applying for AOS. However, you don't need an SSN for most things of proof, such as joint lease, bills, health insurance, etc.

Thank you so much for that! I wonder how often people get away without an interview...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.