neil685

Letter for border official for visit pre NOA2

27 posts in this topic

No, giving her a letter with information about "intent to support" just kind of implies intent to stay.

The main issue with with people being turned back at the border is proof of ties to your home country. The types of things she can use to show this are:

* A mortgage or lease for a home or apartment

* A letter from her employer stating that she is expected back by a specific date

* Bank statements showing that she has accounts at home that she's not closed

* Appointment cards showing she has an appointment scheduled for after the visit

* Utility bills in her name that are due after she returns (although if she is visiting for an entire month, I suppose this is unlikely)

* NOA1 and anything else you have from USCIS (as this shows that you are proceeding with it legally and therefore pretty unlikely to stay illegally)

She will not have all of those things, but should have as much as possible just in case she is asked. She may or may not be.

As far as what to say, I agree that you should honestly answer their questions but not volunteer extra information they don't ask for. HOWEVER they usually ask "purpose of visit" and you really do need to say "visiting fiance" if they ask that.

If you get your NOA2 during her visit, there will not be any need to buy her a one-way ticket home. It takes about a month to go through the NVC to the consulate. If you get the NOA2 at the very beginning of her visit, you might want to consider changing her return ticket so that she is home to receive packet 3 from the consulate, depending on how fast your consulate is. Most likely, she can change the booking with the airline (for a fee, of course, but it is a lot less steep than buying a new one-way ticket).

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

You should not write this letter!!! Even if you are under K1 process, your fiancee can to visit us but must prove to the officer she will come back to her country. So she can tell to the officer at passport control that she comes to visit her boyfriend and that is all. But never lie to the officer, you never know what other questions they can ask you more... Your fiancee just needs to have documents which prove she has a life in her country (job or student, home, bills, etc). If the officers asks her about visa K1, don't lie but do reassure them that your fiancee must go home to continue her life in awaiting news about visa K1.

That was my case last sathurday at NYC in knowing my US fiancee got NOA2 last week!!!

Good luck

My fiance is visiting in 11 days. She will be staying for just over a month and a half (purchasing a wedding dress and whatnot). We have received our NOA1, of which she will obviously be bringing a copy. I was wondering if I should email her a scanned/signed letter for the border official to claim financial responsibility and to support her claim that we know what the hell where doing to avoid her being turned away at the border. My letter goes as follows (rough draft):

To whom it may concern,

I am writing this letter as documentary proof that I, Neil xxxx will be taking full financial responsibility of Salli xxxx for the duration of her trip (4/11/09 - 6/3/09) to Minneapolis, MN. As we are making wedding plans, we are fully aware that we cannot proceed with the actual wedding until her K1 visa is approved. We are also aware that if our I-129F petition is approved before her stay is completed she must return home immediately to proceed with the next phase of the K1 process (medical exam, police certificate, interview, etc.). If we are approved before her intended return to Helsinki, I will be purchasing her a one way ticket home.

Sincerely,

Neil xxxx

Good idea or worthless?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I doubt the letter would be of much help. If the CBP officer is suspicious that your fiancee is lying or obfuscating the truth, then I would imagine that they would also be suspicious of the author of the letter.

Take the advise given here of ensuring your finacee has strong proof of ties. Another tip is to have her pack lightly. I saw an Eastern European woman in secondary claiming to be visiting her "friend" for a couple of weeks, but she had 5 bags with her.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

My 2 cents is to do what others have said--provide a letter emphasizing her ties to her country and NOT you supporting her--they don't care about that for a visitor visa. You might also mention if the officer who approved her visitor visa knew full well about the K-1 in progress, so the POE officer would understand he/she would only be going along with the previous officer's judgment. Does that make sense to anyone?

I-129F Sent : 2008-10-28

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-04

Online case status working (finally can view case status online, says pending): 2009-03-30

NOA2 : 2009-03-30

NOA2 Visible Online : 2009-03-31

Sent from NVC to US Embassy in Guatemala: 2009-04-03

Arrived at US Embassy in Guatemala: 2009-04-08

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
You might also mention if the officer who approved her visitor visa knew full well about the K-1 in progress, so the POE officer would understand he/she would only be going along with the previous officer's judgment. Does that make sense to anyone?

Not in this case - Finland is a VWP country. Besides, CBP officers can deny entry even with a visa already in-hand.

Edited by eyoa

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

Thanks all for the replies. I think I will omit the letter or at very least drop all points to financial support or emergency one way return ticket. She will be packing her a copy of her lease, most recent utilities, bank statements to show proper ties (employment letter is not possible) and of coarse the NOA1. She is already well aware to only answer what is asked. I have little doubt that all will go smoothly but like every part of this process it is a little nerve racking because it is all based on one's opinion. Thanks again folks.

No, giving her a letter with information about "intent to support" just kind of implies intent to stay.

The main issue with with people being turned back at the border is proof of ties to your home country. The types of things she can use to show this are:

* A letter from her employer stating that she is expected back by a specific date

* Appointment cards showing she has an appointment scheduled for after the visit

* Utility bills in her name that are due after she returns (although if she is visiting for an entire month, I suppose this is unlikely)

* NOA1 and anything else you have from USCIS (as this shows that you are proceeding with it legally and therefore pretty unlikely to stay illegally)

She will not have all of those things, but should have as much as possible just in case she is asked. She may or may not be.

As far as what to say, I agree that you should honestly answer their questions but not volunteer extra information they don't ask for. HOWEVER they usually ask "purpose of visit" and you really do need to say "visiting fiance" if they ask that.

If you get your NOA2 during her visit, there will not be any need to buy her a one-way ticket home. It takes about a month to go through the NVC to the consulate. If you get the NOA2 at the very beginning of her visit, you might want to consider changing her return ticket so that she is home to receive packet 3 from the consulate, depending on how fast your consulate is. Most likely, she can change the booking with the airline (for a fee, of course, but it is a lot less steep than buying a new one-way ticket).

I have a spin off question in this thread. Mainly because this is the list I've been looking for!

My fiance is visiting in May for approx. 5 weeks. We're both very worried about the POE, but I know I took the chance buying ticket. Anyway, as background he had a difficult time being let in in November before we were even engaged because he said "girlfriend." Continental do not print out return tickets until you are actually leaving, so we know to print the itinerary. He also didn't carry cash and that raised flags until he mentioned his debit card. Anyway, they let him in and when he visited for a short time in January he had no problems at all at the POE.

So my main problem is. Ash is currently unemployed and it seems that's a huge part of proving ties. He also doesn't have any bills other than his car insurance and phone bills.

Will these things be enough?:

1. Car insurance bill

2. Phone bill

3. Bank statements

4. Copy of NOA1

5. Copy of entire petition

I'd really appreciate any help as May is getting closer haha :luv:

Not in this case - Finland is a VWP country. Besides, CBP officers can deny entry even with a visa already in-hand.

Just FYI: My fiance was denied on a B1/B2 visa, even though NZ is a VWP country. She specifically got the B visitors visa so she could spend more than 3 months in the US with me (B visas allow 6 months to NZ citizens). The consulate in Auckland knew that's why she applied for the visa and they approved it. CBP did not let her in, despite the consulate OK'ing it and checking her out.

I actually think that's one of the many broken parts of the system, because the consulate does a more thorough background and intentions check than some uneducated CBP officer can, yet the CBP officer can overrule the consulate.

Edited by Ed+Cindy

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Well, just a little of my story.

We got married on 8/8/08 last year in Japan. In Japan, you just sign the papers at the mucipality office and you are married. So I only stayed two weeks then. But then we had our wedding ceremony with her family and relatives and my parents again in Nov, again in Japan. And once again I came back to US. In the mean time I had submitted the I-130 and we were waiting for the NOA2, but my wife was going to come to US to stay with me for three months from Dec to March 1. I told her to just tell the guys at immigration that she was going to take a break because she just quit her job and just wanted to relax a little while in Hawaii and visit some relatives. NOT to say she was visiting her husband (or fiance in your case). Well, yes, they did ask her all kinds of questions about how she was going to support herself for three months, what she was going to do (vacation and relax, visit relatives) and she took a little longer to get through immigrations and customs than from her past visits, but they eventually let her through. And yes, she did have return ticket too.

Sorry for long story, but I wouldn't recommend mentioning marriage or anything like that because if they think you are trying to abuse the VWP, they may not let her in. They may think she is just trying to get in and somehow try to adjust status later. Don't think that would be good.

Anyway, so she stayed the three months and in the meantime while she was here, we got the NOA2. She is now back in Japan, and we are just about to submit the DS-230. Was just waiting for police record, but now everything is in the mail and I hope it will be soon.

Good luck to you,

vny

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Tokyo, Japan

2008-08-08 Marriage

2008-10-31 I-130 Sent

2008-11-07 I-130 NOA1

2009-02-19 I-130 Approved

2009-02-23 NVC Received

2009-03-12 NVC assigns case number (find out from calling NVC everyday)

2009-03-12 Emailed DS-3032

2009-03-14 Received DS-3032 / I-864 bill instructions in snail mail.

2009-03-14 Pay I-864 Bill online

2009-03-14 Receive I-864 Package electronically right after paying online.

2009-03-21 Mail Completed I-864

2009-03-25 Received email from NVC that DS-3032 accepted.

2009-03-25 Pay IV Bill online

2009-03-25 Receive Instruction Package online after paying IV bill

2009-04-02 Mailed DS-230 package via USPS Priority mail

2009-04-06 USPS online tracking says package delivered.

2009-04-08 NVC acknowledges receipt of DS-230 package

2009-04-15 Case Completed at NVC

2009-04-30 According to operator left NVC. Yaa!!! Finally AVR says forwarded to counsulate!!!

2009-05-06 to 19 Going to visit Honey in Japan!!! Back home now but HAD A GREAT TIME!!!

2009-05-07 Consulate Received

2009-06-08 Passed Interview!!! Yay!!! Finally!!!

2009-06-10 Passport and Visa paperwork received in mail.

2009-06-19 POE Hawaii!!!

2009-06-24 Visit SSA office

2009-07-01 SSN card arrived in mail

2009-07-09 I-797C Welcome notice arrived in mail

2009-07-16 GC received in mail

I have a spin off question in this thread. Mainly because this is the list I've been looking for!

My fiance is visiting in May for approx. 5 weeks. We're both very worried about the POE, but I know I took the chance buying ticket. Anyway, as background he had a difficult time being let in in November before we were even engaged because he said "girlfriend." Continental do not print out return tickets until you are actually leaving, so we know to print the itinerary. He also didn't carry cash and that raised flags until he mentioned his debit card. Anyway, they let him in and when he visited for a short time in January he had no problems at all at the POE.

So my main problem is. Ash is currently unemployed and it seems that's a huge part of proving ties. He also doesn't have any bills other than his car insurance and phone bills.

Will these things be enough?:

1. Car insurance bill

2. Phone bill

3. Bank statements

4. Copy of NOA1

5. Copy of entire petition

I'd really appreciate any help as May is getting closer haha :luv:

I'll play suspicious immigration officer (and we'll see how useful your list will be):

0. No return ticket (or printed itinerary showing round trip): Entry denied. Go back home.

If you have one of those...let's continue...

1. Car insurance bill: does not mean you still have a car -Maybe you have just recently sold it on?- especially if it is an unpaid bill. Now, a receipt of premium payment for the next 6 months on the other hand....(Car payment, car lease agreement...etc? something to show a stronger, and very current obligation)

2. Phone bill: Easily canceled.

3. Bank statements: Proves you have money....not that you have to go back home. Though, if you are planning an extra extended stay, this might help in the "won't become a public charge" category.

4. Copy of NOA1: Immigrant intent (See Number 0).....BUT also intent to do this legally. :thumbs:

5. Copy of entire petition: Extraneous info considering #5.

He doesn't happen to have a lease agreement or something...?

On the other hand, Nik got in for 87 days while he was pretty much unemployed with no evidence of ties (other than mentioning that his parents/siblings were still in the UK), an obviously impatient US Citizen girlfriend (not fiance yet) sighing (and practically tapping her foot) nearby, and a return ticket. Not that I advocate this sort of fly by the seat of your pants method -- we hadn't found visajourney yet - we weren't even going to file for another year, so...we didn't know better.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Last time I went through the POE, I almost didnt get in for my 10 day trip. I think it was because:

1) I physically didnt have a return ticket or itenerary. All I could tell her was my reservation # that I had written.

2) I was just there two weeks prior, and was only home for 4 days in between and she was wondering why I was going back so soon.

3) I didnt have a job.

However, once she asked why I wasnt working, I told her I was a stay at home Mom, she asked how many kids I had and how old (They are small), at that point she let me through ( if it wasnt for that, Im sure I would have been sent back)

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

I'll play suspicious immigration officer (and we'll see how useful your list will be):

0. No return ticket (or printed itinerary showing round trip): Entry denied. Go back home.

If you have one of those...let's continue...

1. Car insurance bill: does not mean you still have a car -Maybe you have just recently sold it on?- especially if it is an unpaid bill. Now, a receipt of premium payment for the next 6 months on the other hand....(Car payment, car lease agreement...etc? something to show a stronger, and very current obligation)

2. Phone bill: Easily canceled.

3. Bank statements: Proves you have money....not that you have to go back home. Though, if you are planning an extra extended stay, this might help in the "won't become a public charge" category.

4. Copy of NOA1: Immigrant intent (See Number 0).....BUT also intent to do this legally. :thumbs:

5. Copy of entire petition: Extraneous info considering #5.

He doesn't happen to have a lease agreement or something...?

On the other hand, Nik got in for 87 days while he was pretty much unemployed with no evidence of ties (other than mentioning that his parents/siblings were still in the UK), an obviously impatient US Citizen girlfriend (not fiance yet) sighing (and practically tapping her foot) nearby, and a return ticket. Not that I advocate this sort of fly by the seat of your pants method -- we hadn't found visajourney yet - we weren't even going to file for another year, so...we didn't know better.

Yeah, I know the return ticket is extremely important haha.

As for a lease, he still lives at home, that wouldn't work.

His car is already paid off. Is there a way to show he just recently renewed his car insurance for the next year?

As for extended stay, he won't be here that long - about 5 weeks.

His parents and sister are still in the UK, is there anything they could do?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.