rlt

RECALLED PETITION - UPDATE

1,102 posts in this topic

asianeuro.com. We both pay a fee to meet people online in other countries, but not necesarily to marry. (I joined earlier to talk with Japanese people to learn better Japanese. )

So... let's check what IMBRA brings...

(A) IN GENERAL.—The term ‘‘international marriage broker’’ means a corporation, partnership, business, individual, or other legal entity, whether or not organized under any law of the United States, that charges fees for providing dating, matrimonial, matchmaking services, or social referrals between United States citizens or nationals or aliens lawfully admitted to the United States as permanent residents and foreign national clients by providing personal contact information or otherwise facilitating communication between individuals.

(B) EXCEPTIONS.—Such term does not include—

(i) a traditional matchmaking organization of a cultural or religious nature that operates on a nonprofit

basis and otherwise operates in compliance with the laws of the countries in which it operates, including

the laws of the United States; or

(ii) an entity that provides dating services if its principal business is not to provide international dating

services between United States citizens or United States residents and foreign nationals and it charges

comparable rates and offers comparable services to all individuals it serves regardless of the individual’s

gender or country of citizenship.

(6) PERSONAL CONTACT INFORMATION.—

(A) IN GENERAL.—The term ‘‘personal contact information’’ means information, or a forum to obtain such information, that would permit individuals to contact each other, including—

(i) the name or residential, postal, electronic mail, or instant message address of an individual;

(ii) the telephone, pager, cellphone, or fax number, or voice message mailbox of an individual; or

(iii) the provision of an opportunity for an in-person meeting.

(B) EXCEPTION.—Such term does not include a photograph or general information about the background or

interests of a person.

Okay. So you both had to pay a fee and it doesn't fall under the exceptions.

Now, what kind of information do you get to contact people? Maybe you can fall under the exception about "personal contact information".

All the contact you have is through IM on the website, you can't post e-mail addresses or anything. Private personal info comes voluntarily.

Edited by zethris

Meh, nothing to see here.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
zethris and rick -

my advice is to not assume anything and not to take speculation as possible fact.

it is possible someone is f**king up at vermont. these emails are just to strange. one fact is you do need the rfe to continue this process. there is no way they would say "nah, we don't have to send it to these guys. they're ok!" they would also be breaking the law by doing so.

i also suggest calling today/tomorrow and next week. cis, nvc, dos = cya! (cover your a$$)

Thanks americanwoman, i assumed of the two emails which contradicted each other, the worst one is probably the correct one. In terms of them breaking the law, USCIS apparently always had in the past, 6 months to change procedures to reflect new legisaltion; I supsect some a..h..e gave them orders otherwise in the IMBRA recall fiasco.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

asianeuro.com. We both pay a fee to meet people online in other countries, but not necesarily to marry. (I joined earlier to talk with Japanese people to learn better Japanese. )

(A) IN GENERAL.—The term ‘‘international marriage broker’’ means a corporation, partnership, business, individual, or other legal entity, whether or not organized under any law of the United States, that charges fees for providing dating, matrimonial, matchmaking services, or social referrals between United States citizens or nationals or aliens lawfully admitted to the United States as permanent residents and foreign national clients by providing personal contact information or otherwise facilitating communication between individuals.

(i) a traditional matchmaking organization of a cultural or religious nature that operates on a nonprofit

basis and otherwise operates in compliance with the laws of the countries in which it operates, including

(ii) an entity that provides dating services if its principal business is not to provide international dating

services between United States citizens or United States residents and foreign nationals and it charges

comparable rates and offers comparable services to all individuals it serves regardless of the individual’s

(A) IN GENERAL.—The term ‘‘personal contact information’’ means information, or a forum to obtain such information, that would permit individuals to contact each other, including—

(i) the name or residential, postal, electronic mail, or instant message address of an individual;

(ii) the telephone, pager, cellphone, or fax number, or voice message mailbox of an individual; or

(B) EXCEPTION.—Such term does not include a photograph or general information about the background or

interests of a person.

Now, what kind of information do you get to contact people? Maybe you can fall under the exception about "personal contact information".

All the contact you have is through IM on the website, you can post e-mail addresses or anything. Private personal info comes voluntarily.

Hey Zethris... Just wanted to give a congratulations to having your case opened... :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

interests of a person.

I answered "No" to question #1 on the RFE question. We met On Mate1.com She joined for free, I originally joined for free. We met on the Free instant messenger to chat with others online. I did later pay a fee to use email, but I had already met my Sweetie on the "free" side of the website.

Can't see how this would qualify as an IMB can anyone else?

I'm #######, so I think I would answer yes, just for having paid later to get to contact her through e-mail. Did you send an extra sheet stating why you've answered 'no'? Maybe that would make a difference.

Yes I did send an extra sheet. I told them that if they did consider it an IMB than I would accept there decision. I also explained that we started using the Yahoo instant messenger soon after so we did not even go back to the site. When I joined the site, I also wrote that it was not my intention to meet Foriegn Woman at all. She contacted me lol. Anyway, I also explained to them that IMB's are illegal in the Philippines so how was She able to join then?

Hope I did not screw up answering "No"!

I think that the definition of a marriage broker in the Philippines can be different from the definition that IMBRA brings. So... even if she wouldn't be allowed to join a marriage broker the way they define it there, a website would still be considered as such if it matches the definition according to IMBRA. The same goes for the intention of meeting a foreign woman or not. It wasn't your intention, but what really counts is what kind of services the website provides and how they do it, according to the law.

Well, let's see whether you'll get an RFE. My guess would be you will get one, because it seems to me that they have to do things according to their protocol. But maybe you'll get lucky. :) In any case, you've made up your mind as to what to answer when/if it comes.

One other thing....

I also stressed to them that we met on November 11th 2005 which is clearly before the Law was passed. Now those with cases pending after the Law was passed may see more scrutiny?

I don't think that should be of any importance. The law got into effect on March 6th and should affect those petitions being processed, with NOA1s dated as of. So... even if one's met one's fiance before that, it should bear no importance as to how they'll strutinize one's petition.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Zethris, Madison Man congrats to you 2! OH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It's been a long summer eh? A cuba libre sounds good right now. In any case, now your petitions can be further processed like the rest of the group.

interests of a person.

All the contact you have is through IM on the website, you can post e-mail addresses or anything. Private personal info comes voluntarily.

Hey Zethris... Just wanted to give a congratulations to having your case opened... :thumbs:

Thanks Madison, you too! :dance::dance:

Meh, nothing to see here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

interests of a person.

Now, what kind of information do you get to contact people? Maybe you can fall under the exception

about "personal contact information".

I answered "No" to question #1 on the RFE question. We met On Mate1.com She joined for free, I originally joined for free. We met on the Free instant messenger to chat with others online. I did later pay a fee to use email, but I had already met my Sweetie on the "free" side of the website.

Can't see how this would qualify as an IMB can anyone else?

I'm #######, so I think I would answer yes, just for having paid later to get to contact her through e-mail. Did you send an extra sheet stating why you've answered 'no'? Maybe that would make a difference.

Yes I did send an extra sheet. I told them that if they did consider it an IMB than I would accept there decision. I also explained that we started using the Yahoo instant messenger soon after so we did not even go back to the site. When I joined the site, I also wrote that it was not my intention to meet Foriegn Woman at all. She contacted me lol. Anyway, I also explained to them that IMB's are illegal in the Philippines so how was She able to join then?

Hope I did not screw up answering "No"!

I think that the definition of a marriage broker in the Philippines can be different from the definition that IMBRA brings. So... even if she wouldn't be allowed to join a marriage broker the way they define it there, a website would still be considered as such if it matches the definition according to IMBRA. The same goes for the intention of meeting a foreign woman or not. It wasn't your intention, but what really counts is what kind of services the website provides and how they do it, according to the law.

Well, let's see whether you'll get an RFE. My guess would be you will get one, because it seems to me that they have to do things according to their protocol. But maybe you'll get lucky. :) In any case, you've made up your mind as to what to answer when/if it comes.

One other thing....

I also stressed to them that we met on November 11th 2005 which is clearly before the Law was passed. Now those with cases pending after the Law was passed may see more scrutiny?

I don't think that should be of any importance. The law got into effect on March 6th and should affect those petitions being processed, with NOA1s dated as of. So... even if one's met one's fiance before that, it should bear no importance as to how they'll strutinize one's petition.

Well I guess Im the Guinea Pig then lol! :yes:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Eh, you'll do just fine, don't worry. :)

Its screwed up that we applaude them for doing their job. Something they are supposed to be doing already.

I129F Vermont Service Center

I-129F Sent: 2006-03-21 I-129F NOA1: 2006-03-28 I-129F NOA2 : 2006-04-20

case sent back from overseas: 2006-05-22 because of IMBRA law

case received back at NVC: 2006-07-21

reopened at VSC: 2006-08-02

I-129F RFE(s) sent from VSC, email notice: 2006-08-03

I-129F RFE(s) received at my house:2006-08-09

RFE returned to VSC via USPS Priority Mail: 2006-08-10

RFE returned to VSC, email notice of receipt: 2006-08-15

Reapproval: 2006-08-29

Sent to NVC: 2006-08-30

Sent to Consulate: 2006-09-07

Consulate Received: Unsure

Received Packet 4: 2006-09-27

Interview Date : 10/12/2006

Entered USA : 10/31/2006 Married : 11/20/2006 SSN Received: 12/12/2006

AOS and EAD

Aos and I-765 Sent : 02/13/2007 via USPS Certified Mail

USPS delivery to Chicago Lockbox confirmed through Internet USPS tracking number: 2/20/2007

Check cashed : 03/02/2007

Noa for I765, I485 : 02/27/2007

Letter received for Biometrics : 03/05/2007

Biometrics Appointment 20 minutes : 03/16/2007

Email notifying I485 transferred to CSC : 03/19/2007

Letter received notifying transfer to CSC : 03/26/2007

Email notifying I485 case is pending at CSC : 04/17/2007

EAD Approved and Card Production ordered email : 05/07/2007

EAD Approval notice sent via snail mail: 05/10/2007 EAD Received : 05/11/2007

Email welcoming new permanent resident : 05/24/2007

2 Year Green card in hand : 06/01/2007

i-751

sent out packet via priority mail and delivery confirmation to Vermont Service Center: 03/23/2009

check cashed: 3/31/09 Noa: 4/1/09 Biometrics letter: 4/15/09 Biometrics Appt: 4/24/09 done

Timeline

Its screwed up that we applaude them for doing their job. Something they are supposed to be doing already.

We were celebrating the fact that they've had their cases reopened after a long time of uncertainties as to where their petitions was, wondering whether they were lost or whatever. So finding out they had the petitions was a great relief.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

I was TOUCHED today :dance: Does this mean approval may be soon? The RFE update was just yesterday, I hope this means they are working on it...

The journey begins...got the package together sent FedEx OV 2/22/06

Packet received in VT Center 10:53 AM Signed by G.Merrihew 2/23/06

Packet returned, check made out for the wrong amount, I feel stupid :( 3/4/06

New check made out, given to Fedex today but will go out Monday morning 3/6/06

Packet received SECOND time signed by same person at 11:00 am, please God let this be it! 3/7/06

NOA 1-------------------------3/8/06

Check cashed----------------3/9/06

Touched----------------------3/21/06

NO2 approved electronically!!!!!!!!!------3/22/06

Touched, I guess they mailed the petition out today-------3/23/06

NVC sent out approved petition!!! YAYYYYYYYY-------------3/27/06

Packet 3 received by my fiance----------------------------4/9/06

Medical appnt.------------------------------------------4/10/06

Packet 3 sent back-----------4/14/06

Interview Date Given for MAY 15------------------4/24/06 Interview cancelled 5/11/06

Case reopened by VSC---7/13/06

Touched-------------------7/14/06

Touched------------------7/15/06

RFE Update!!!!----------7/17/06

RFE Sent back---------7/22/06

RFE Update Online----7/26/06

Touched---------------7/27/06

Touched--------------7/28/06

Touched-------------7/29/06

Touched------------8/09/06

Re-APPROVED-----8/09/06

NVC sent out to the embassy---8/14/06

Interview re-scheduled for----- 9/26/06!!!!!!!

APPROVED_RECEIVED VISA IN HAND 10/03/06!!!!

Timeline
I was TOUCHED today :dance: Does this mean approval may be soon? The RFE update was just yesterday, I hope this means they are working on it...

Mike and I got 5 touches. rlt and Lewis too. But I've been watching other VSC's cases (not recalled ones) and the number really varies. They've been taking 15 days approx. to approve RFE's, so... you're close, aque. :)

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

I don´t think anyone is applauding them.. since we were all caught up in this situation, it´s a good thing to get news on our case, isn´t it?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I don´t think anyone is applauding them.. since we were all caught up in this situation, it´s a good thing to get news on our case, isn´t it?

I haven't been touched since 4/16/2006, the original approval date. Its beginning to piss me off. I am happy for you guys, but still nothing for me.

I129F Vermont Service Center

I-129F Sent: 2006-03-21 I-129F NOA1: 2006-03-28 I-129F NOA2 : 2006-04-20

case sent back from overseas: 2006-05-22 because of IMBRA law

case received back at NVC: 2006-07-21

reopened at VSC: 2006-08-02

I-129F RFE(s) sent from VSC, email notice: 2006-08-03

I-129F RFE(s) received at my house:2006-08-09

RFE returned to VSC via USPS Priority Mail: 2006-08-10

RFE returned to VSC, email notice of receipt: 2006-08-15

Reapproval: 2006-08-29

Sent to NVC: 2006-08-30

Sent to Consulate: 2006-09-07

Consulate Received: Unsure

Received Packet 4: 2006-09-27

Interview Date : 10/12/2006

Entered USA : 10/31/2006 Married : 11/20/2006 SSN Received: 12/12/2006

AOS and EAD

Aos and I-765 Sent : 02/13/2007 via USPS Certified Mail

USPS delivery to Chicago Lockbox confirmed through Internet USPS tracking number: 2/20/2007

Check cashed : 03/02/2007

Noa for I765, I485 : 02/27/2007

Letter received for Biometrics : 03/05/2007

Biometrics Appointment 20 minutes : 03/16/2007

Email notifying I485 transferred to CSC : 03/19/2007

Letter received notifying transfer to CSC : 03/26/2007

Email notifying I485 case is pending at CSC : 04/17/2007

EAD Approved and Card Production ordered email : 05/07/2007

EAD Approval notice sent via snail mail: 05/10/2007 EAD Received : 05/11/2007

Email welcoming new permanent resident : 05/24/2007

2 Year Green card in hand : 06/01/2007

i-751

sent out packet via priority mail and delivery confirmation to Vermont Service Center: 03/23/2009

check cashed: 3/31/09 Noa: 4/1/09 Biometrics letter: 4/15/09 Biometrics Appt: 4/24/09 done

Timeline
I haven't been touched since 4/16/2006, the original approval date. Its beginning to piss me off. I am happy for you guys, but still nothing for me.

Apparently some of the petitions are reopened in batches according to countries. They've gotten to Philippines, and some time soon they'll get to Thailand. I understand your frustration though. Don't lose hope...

Timeline (incompleta)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.