effects69

Moving from the UK to Cali. Things I should know?

12 posts in this topic

Ok I'm pretty much set for my move on the 17th of April. I don't have much to take with me. But I do have a computer. I was thinking of packing it nice and tight into one of my cases. has anyone else taken a computer with them? And any suggestions? I also have guitars and a bass. But I can only take one guitar with me. Plus I have a small mixing desk and mic I will be taking. I'm flying with Virgin Atlantic. I know I will have to inform them about the electrical goods in my case. As they may think it's something else otherwise. I have my visa, Visa pack and X-ray all ready to take as well. Anything else I should consider before travelling?

Also has anyone found a cheap way to take pets? It turns out that the price to take my small dog will be almost £1000. Far more than my flight costs. So I have to leave my dog behind :(

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

Congrats on getting your visa!

I have taken a guitar several times between the UK and US, I use a Gator flight case that cost me about $80 and has been wonderful - it is barely scratched and the guitar is always fine (just loosen the strings since the pressure will change in the aircraft). It's certified to withstand a huge amount of pressure and I also pack soft clothes around the guitar so it can't move around. Checking in in the UK (I've only flown from Bristol with it though, I guess it would be the same elsewhere) I have to take it to the 'special baggage' drop off after checking in my case, where they scan it, ask what's inside and then take it away. Arriving (at Newark at least) it doesn't come on the baggage carousel, again it's at the 'special baggage' (or whatever they call it!) desk in the baggage hall. I've never taken a computer, but not sure I would trust it (by it, I assume you mean a PC tower?) in checked-in baggage - maybe you could take the components out of the case and buy a cheap case to reassemble when you get there? That way you could probably pack it better? For the dog, check out the 'pets to the US' threads for more suggestions :)

Removing conditions:

10/9/10 - Package sent to Vermont

10/13/10 - NOA1 date, received 10/18

I have taken a guitar several times between the UK and US, I use a Gator flight case that cost me about $80 and has been wonderful - it is barely scratched and the guitar is always fine (just loosen the strings since the pressure will change in the aircraft). It's certified to withstand a huge amount of pressure and I also pack soft clothes around the guitar so it can't move around. Checking in in the UK (I've only flown from Bristol with it though, I guess it would be the same elsewhere) I have to take it to the 'special baggage' drop off after checking in my case, where they scan it, ask what's inside and then take it away. Arriving (at Newark at least) it doesn't come on the baggage carousel, again it's at the 'special baggage' (or whatever they call it!) desk in the baggage hall. I've never taken a computer, but not sure I would trust it (by it, I assume you mean a PC tower?) in checked-in baggage - maybe you could take the components out of the case and buy a cheap case to reassemble when you get there? That way you could probably pack it better? For the dog, check out the 'pets to the US' threads for more suggestions :)

First of all thanks. And. I see your also from Wales :) Where about? I'm in Neath.

My bagged allowance is one carry on item and 2 cases. I was thinking of taking the guitar as the carry on. It's only an acoustic. Although I'm not sure if it would be to big to take on with me. My first idea about the PC was to take it apart and pack it in Anti-Static bags within my clothes. But I guess what ever way I do it, it will ring alarm bells at customs. I would put the Hard Drive in my carry on bad and have that with me. Just in case the suit case with the PC gets lost. Also my Graphics card is very expensive. it costs more than the rest of the PC put together. So I'm hoping it wont get damaged. I may look into anti-static bubble wrap. but it's all pretty expensive.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

You might want to check out this thread about bringing pets from the UK:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123420

Also, you might want to search through the UK forum since a lot of what you're asking has been asked before. You'll find lots of good info there. :star: Plus, there are tons of VJ Brits in Cali. Check out the "Brits in the USA" thread, too.

Good luck with the big move!

Filed: Timeline

I wouldn't sent my computer in the hold personally, not without good insurance at any rate. At the very least I'd take out the hard drive and the graphics card and either get some hard cases for them, or send them insured via FedEx.

Cali rocks, so you don't have to worry about that part of the deal.

This is a relatively inexpensive time of year to fly, so if you can it might be an idea to see how much an upgrade would cost. Some of the other classes get more of a baggage allowance.

PC Shipping - if it were me, I'd remove any video/sound cards and pack them in bubble wrap (can be stuffed back inside the case) - some folks have even done the same with memory chips - just to keep things from popping out and harming themselves or other pieces. Disconnect plugged in cables so they don't become dislodged and damage pins. Leave mice/keyboards and monitors at home - too much trouble.

I've even heard of folks packing mother/main-boards (and other 'cards' and components) and leaving the case behind (can always buy another one here in the states). Really depends on the system you have and how much trouble you want to go through.

PC Shipping - if it were me, I'd remove any video/sound cards and pack them in bubble wrap (can be stuffed back inside the case) - some folks have even done the same with memory chips - just to keep things from popping out and harming themselves or other pieces. Disconnect plugged in cables so they don't become dislodged and damage pins. Leave mice/keyboards and monitors at home - too much trouble.

I've even heard of folks packing mother/main-boards (and other 'cards' and components) and leaving the case behind (can always buy another one here in the states). Really depends on the system you have and how much trouble you want to go through.

Yeah well my first thought was to remove everything and buy a case in LA. I may have to stick to that idea. if I can get the graphics card out that is. It's a massive Gforce 8800 ultra card and I cant get to the pin that clips down :/ damn card is massive! And yeah the HDD I will of course keep on my person. Ahhthe day of my flight can't come fast enought. We haven't seen each other in 6 months now :/ I'm all excited like a little kid at christmas :dance: :dance: :dance:

I wouldn't sent my computer in the hold personally, not without good insurance at any rate. At the very least I'd take out the hard drive and the graphics card and either get some hard cases for them, or send them insured via FedEx.

Cali rocks, so you don't have to worry about that part of the deal.

This is a relatively inexpensive time of year to fly, so if you can it might be an idea to see how much an upgrade would cost. Some of the other classes get more of a baggage allowance.

Well I got a pretty cheap flight. And it's direct. I'm really not taking that much stuff as I'm leaving/selling most of my things here in the UK. Shipping by cargo seems to cost a lot. fedEx might be a good idea for the graphics card if I don't feel secure with it being packed. :)

And yeah Cali does rock :D

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I honestly wouldn't pack a comp in a bag, or in some sort of box that was not the original box that it came in. Your best bet is to use either FedEx, or even better is UPS. UPS will package your computer up and guarantee its safety. You just need to make copies of your visa and passport for them. My fiance is sending her computer through UPS and the whole thing (monitor too) is going to cost somewhere around $150-175. But even though, they guarantee it, you still should backup everything first.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

First of all thanks. And. I see your also from Wales :) Where about? I'm in Neath.

My bagged allowance is one carry on item and 2 cases. I was thinking of taking the guitar as the carry on. It's only an acoustic. Although I'm not sure if it would be to big to take on with me. My first idea about the PC was to take it apart and pack it in Anti-Static bags within my clothes. But I guess what ever way I do it, it will ring alarm bells at customs. I would put the Hard Drive in my carry on bad and have that with me. Just in case the suit case with the PC gets lost. Also my Graphics card is very expensive. it costs more than the rest of the PC put together. So I'm hoping it wont get damaged. I may look into anti-static bubble wrap. but it's all pretty expensive.

I'm from south Wales too - near Monmouth. I miss the Welsh countryside, though not the weather! Hope everything goes well with the move :)

Removing conditions:

10/9/10 - Package sent to Vermont

10/13/10 - NOA1 date, received 10/18

Nick came from the UK 6 months ago. He took PC apart and had the original box for the motherboard packing. He said try a local computer shop and ask if they have any spare anti static bubble wrap or packing they might just give you free. Every thing was packed amongst the clothing for extra padding. Baggage check and customs clearance was a non-issue. I did call CBP at the airport in Houston ahead of time to ask if there would be any kind of problem and if anything had to be listed or itemized on customs declaration. He said, just write "household goods" on the form with no value.

On the way home from the airport, we stopped at Fry and he bought a cheapo case with a power supply for $35. He said you may need a better power supply to drive the 8800. Anyway, the new case will have the proper plug for American electrical socket. He also suggests bringing your UK keyboard if you want your keys in the proper place, not like American keyboards arrange them. Computer was up and running by next day thanks to pinching a monitor and some speakers off an old computer here at the house.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Also has anyone found a cheap way to take pets? It turns out that the price to take my small dog will be almost £1000. Far more than my flight costs. So I have to leave my dog behind :(

Aaaaw, sorry about your dog!! :( Here is a thread about bringing your pets to US from UK, hope someone can help u get your baby here cheaply. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...123420&st=0

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jere. 29:11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.