aamna929

Unsure of what to do - case denied due to mistake on USCIS's behalf..

11 posts in this topic

My husband applied for his naturalization back in July. He appeared for his exam/interview in December in Maryland (where I and his parents live). He passed the examination portion but he said his officer was just nasty with him and told him the case needs to be transferred to NYC because he is going to grad school there. We called the hotline in January because we had not heard anything from them and they told us they can only put in an inquiry after 90 days. 90 days pass, we call them, they said an interview letter had been sent to him a while ago and now it had to be reschedule. We asked them where they sent it, and they gave a completely wrong address in NY. So we changed the address to the correct address of his apartment in NYC. they said they will send another letter with a rescheduled interview.

Yesterday he noticed on the floor of the building lobby a letter from the USCIS to my husband, with the wrong apartment number!! And do you know what the letter said? The case has been denied and a letter had been sent to (God knows where) explaining their decision. What should we do??? We called the hotline, spoke to three different reps, and they all give us different answers. One says to make an infopass appointment, another says to appeal (and pay another $605??? For THEIR mistake?), another says to wait 15 days until they can put in another inquiry (so they can royally screw things up for us again?). I wish someone would just give us the right answer. We don't want to spend thousands of dollars for mistakes caused on the government's behalf :(

Edited by aamna929

Filed: Timeline
My husband applied for his naturalization back in July. He appeared for his exam/interview in December in Maryland (where I and his parents live). He passed the examination portion but he said his officer was just nasty with him and told him the case needs to be transferred to NYC because he is going to grad school there. We called the hotline in January because we had not heard anything from them and they told us they can only put in an inquiry after 90 days. 90 days pass, we call them, they said an interview letter had been sent to him a while ago and now it had to be reschedule. We asked them where they sent it, and they gave a completely wrong address in NY. So we changed the address to the correct address of his apartment in NYC. they said they will send another letter with a rescheduled interview.

Yesterday he noticed on the floor of the building lobby a letter from the USCIS to my husband, with the wrong apartment number!! And do you know what the letter said? The case has been denied and a letter had been sent to (God knows where) explaining their decision. What should we do??? We called the hotline, spoke to three different reps, and they all give us different answers. One says to make an infopass appointment, another says to appeal (and pay another $605??? For THEIR mistake?), another says to wait 15 days until they can put in another inquiry (so they can royally screw things up for us again?). I wish someone would just give us the right answer. We don't want to spend thousands of dollars for mistakes caused on the government's behalf :(

Make a infopass appointment at your local office and take all the evidence you have of the mistake that USCIS have made. I would also contact your congressman and ask for their assistance in sorting this out.

Good Luck

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Best of luck! $650 is indeed a lot of money. I hope it will be resolved very soon.

12/30/1999 -marriage to a US Citizen

01/31/2005 - applied for AOS (sent documents to Chicago lockbox)

03/21/2005 - Biometrics and fingerprinting done in Norfolk

11/14/2005 - Interview letter dated November 7th is received

01/23/2006 - Interview at Washington DC - APPROVED

02/03/2006 - RECEIVED MY PERMENANT RESIDENT CARD

10/31/2008 - Filed N400 at TSC

11/04/2008 - Application Received

11/28/2008 - Fingerprinting done in Norfolk VA

02/23/2009 - Interview in Dallas TX - not enough evidence on marriage -given till 03/23/2009 to submit all the necessary documents

2009 - CITIZEN

Filed: Timeline

From only your side of the story, it's pretty obvious that the fault is shared and that the government gave him several chances.

1. Your husband works and sleeps in the City of New York, therefore New York is his place of residency and where he should have filed. If he made a daily commute to Maryland, you might have had an argument, but he has an apartment in NYC. His application could have been rejected outright at that point.

2. Your husband either properly filed his AR-11 moving his address to New York, in which case he should have known to file in New York, or he was in violation of the terms of his residency. Failing to file the AR-11 is rarely held against one, but it could constitute a reason to reject.

3. Had your husband properly filed his AR-11 or N-400, you should have a hard copy of his address properly recorded by him. If you spoke over the phone, there is no way to know where the error lies. I'm not inferring your husband doesn't know where he lives, but an accent or bad line coupled with how similar letters sound in English easily leads to mistakes.

Do your best to see if you can revive the process, but it appears that you made a series of mistakes that led to this situation.

Good luck.

Edited by Gerard

Contact your Senators office for help. Regardless of where the mistake was made. Part of the USCIS's job is to assist you in making sure they help you get throught this maze of paperwork and rules. They are not very helpful, you can call till your face turns blue and you still wont get a proper answer from them. Call your Senators office and they will help you. Make sure the USC calls.

My Citizenship Timeline

Service Center : Nebraska

CIS Office : St Paul, MN

Date Filed : 2008-07-31

NOA Date : 2008-08-06

Bio.Rcvd Date : 2008-08-15

Bio. Appt. : 2008-08-28

Interview Date : 2008-12-08

Approved : YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final Approval 2009-03-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!File is in line for Oath Schedule

Oath Letter Rcvd: 2009-04-03

Oath Ceremony : 2009-04-30

Total Time So Far: 9 months, 0 days ..WooHoo!!!!!!!! Can You Hear The Sarcasm =)

I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

We are in a similar situation, actually. As Gerard says, the fault could be considered to be shared, although that doesn't make it any easier on us. The sad fact of the matters is that, under immigration law, the burden of proof rests with the applicant. Although both of our spouses meet the requirements for naturalization, neither of them have received citizenship due to some poor planning on our behalf.

Our denial was sent on March 5, which means it will become final in another week or so. We have had our congressman and senators' offices working hard on it. Basically, they have access to USCIS district office supervisors, who can request that officers reconsider decisions. They cannot consider any new evidence, however, and in your case, it simply appears that you applied to the wrong district office and must re-apply for naturalization. Our lawyer recommended this rather than an appeal since they are the same price and an N-400 will be processed much quicker than a N-336.

I'll be interested to hear what happens. We are probably going to re-apply and provide more evidence next time. It is a very frustrating system, and I think it has something to do with a lack of funding for Homeland Security. Too few officers process too many cases and mistakes can often be made. Once they are made, we have to move quickly to provide new information or file new documents or else we will fall through the cracks.

Good luck, and keep your head up. We have found that there is life without US citizenship. We are moving back abroad soon and will be re-applying under 319b, which is for spouses of US citizens who work abroad for US companies. We will be applying through the Washington, DC office which we have heard is much more professional about letting you know if there are problems so you can provide new evidence BEFORE a denial is made and you are caught in this horrible situation.

I'm sorry about what happened. Just think - it's just a piece of paper. We were really devastated with the denial, but are doing better now.

DCF London

2007-08-09 Married

2008-02-15 (Day 1) Filed I-130 for CR-1

2008-02-20 (Day 6) Received RFE

2008-02-21 (Day 7) Returned RFE

2008-02-26 (Day 12) Credit card charged $355

2008-05-15 (Day 92) Received RFE

2008-05-16 (Day 93) Returned RFE

2008-06-11 (Day 119) Received RFE in the form of face-to-face interview on 17 June.

2008-06-17 (Day 125) RFE interview

2008-06-23 (Day 131) Received Packet 3

2008-06-24 (Day 132) Returned Checklist, DS-230

2008-07-03 (Day 141) Received Packet 4

2008-07-09 (Day 147) Medical (approved)

2008-07-18 (Day 158) Interview (approved)

2008-07-22 (Day 162) Passport and visa in hand

2008-07-25 (Day 165) POE - Atlanta, GA

ROC

2010-05-25 (Day 1) Mailed off I-751, check, and evidence to VSC

2010-06-07 (Day 15) Received NOA1, dated 2010-05-27

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Received Bio Appt letter, scheduled for 2010-08-16; will be out of town

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Mailed off request for new appointment date

2011-05-23 (Day 363) Biometrics appointment

2011-07-11 (Day 412) Conditions Removed

N-400

2012-10-23 (Day 1) Mailed N-400 Application (PHX)

2012-12-06 (Day 44) Biometrics appointment (PHX)

2013-01-29 (Day 98) Interview (approved)

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to update on the situation, in case this ever happens to anyone else. My husband had his infopass appointment, and the imm. officer was very polite and re-opened the case because it was found to be an error on their behalf. So infopass appointments do help! He had his oath ceremony today and he's now a naturalized US citizen.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
He had his oath ceremony today and he's now a naturalized US citizen.

OMG, congratulations! What a relief! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Way to go USCIS!

Naturalization:

June 6, 2009 - mailed N-400

June 8, 2009 - delivered to the Lockbox at 2:47 PM

June 11, 2009 - check cashed

June 15, 2009 - received NOA1 (June 10th - NOA1 date)

June 22, 2009 - received biometrics letter

July 10, 2009 - Biometrics

July 27, 2009 - Interview Letter received

September 16, 2009 - Interview @ 1:40 PM (Approved!)

September 26, 2009 - Oath Letter received

October 14, 2009 - Oath Ceremony @ 11:00 AM

I am a U.S. Citizen!

October 23, 2009 - applied for US passport

October 29, 2009 - US Passport received

November 6, 2009 - updated SSN

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Nice Congrats!!!!!!!!

usa.gifN-400 Naturalization Timeline

04/01/2009 - Sent Application via USPS Regular Mail

04/09/2009 - Check Cashed

04/13/2009 - Received NOA

04/18/2009 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

04/28/2009 - Biometrics Appointment @ 2:00 PM

05/09/2009 - Received Interview Letter Appointment

06/03/2009 - Received Yellow Letter requesting to bring Driver's License

07/02/2009 - Interview Date *APPROVED*

07/10/2009 - Oath Letter Sent Out from USCIS

07/14/2009 - Oath Appointment Letter Received

07/27/2009 - Oath Ceremony Date *COMPLETE, NOW A U.S CITIZEN!!*

07/27/2009 - Updated Records with Social Security Administration

07/27/2009 - Mailed in Application for Passport (Regular Service)

08/10/2009 - Passport Received in Hand!!!!

usa.gifLength of Process:

3 Months, 27 Days - Day 1 Mailing Date -> Oath Ceremony Date

15 Days - Passport Application Mailing -> Passport Received in Hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.