HannahP

So, I almost got robbed today.

56 posts in this topic

I was sitting in the other room when I heard my sliding glass door open. I heard the dog barking and growling, and then the door was slammed shut.

I ran to the kitchen, caught a glance of someone running away very fast. He was black, wearing a black and white hooded sweatshirt that is common to certain...groups.

I didn't call the cops. I didn't really get a good glimpse at him.

We do keep a gun in the house. I can fire that gun. However, I would NOT have had time to get to that gun, had I needed it.

In the end, my dog was probably the best alarm that I could have had.

I locked ALL the doors after that.

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I was sitting in the other room when I heard my sliding glass door open. I heard the dog barking and growling, and then the door was slammed shut.

I ran to the kitchen, caught a glance of someone running away very fast. He was black, wearing a black and white hooded sweatshirt that is common to certain...groups.

I didn't call the cops. I didn't really get a good glimpse at him.

We do keep a gun in the house. I can fire that gun. However, I would NOT have had time to get to that gun, had I needed it.

In the end, my dog was probably the best alarm that I could have had.

I locked ALL the doors after that.

you got lucky - and that's a good doggie you have :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

:o

Glad you're safe. Extra hugs for the dog today I think!

But you should contact the police and give them the information, even if it is limited. It encourages the police to do more patrols in the neighborhood. You might save someone else from going through the same thing. :thumbs:

charles - Oh, I know. :) We gave her some bacon. She's not a very big dog or anything (she's a puggle) but I bet she surprised him.

My gosh that is scary. When I visited my sweetie the last time I seemed nervous at the new house he bought. Its just off an interstate highway, trees all around it, no close neighbors. I found myself checking doors all the time. I am hoping that I am not that nervous there once I do get moved. He's not a dog lover, but I want another one. I had a doberman, and felt very safe with her in the house with me. Its amazing how they can make you feel safe. Thank goddness you weren't hurt.

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

wow, he probably saw signs that you were home. cause believe me, if he was really interested in robbing you (and had thought that no 1 was home) he probably woulda football kickd ur pug, good thing ur dog warned you tho. Always lock the doors, you coulda been raped or worse. Everytime my husband leaves (we just got a new apartment so he is kinda paranoid) he tells me to lock the doors, he will shut the door, and walk away, and if he comes back and the door is still open, (he literally walks down the hallway, turns around, comes back andtries the door, haha) he glares at me. I would report it to the police, and mke sure all windows doors and everything that can be locked is.

"Tall, dark and handsome with an amazing smile. He gave me butterflies every time he looked my way. I knew he was the one."- Me

I-129F NOA1 : April 5, 2008

I-129F NOA2 : April 28, 2008

NVC Left : Aug.18, 2008

Packet 3 Received: Sept. 3, 2008

Interview Date : Dec. 18, 2008

APPROVED!!!!

Dec. 19, 2008- Alfredo comes home!

Jan. 5, 2009: Alfredo and I become husband and Wife

March 10, 2009 AOS paperwork sent, will wait for it to arrive via tracking #

March 12, 2009 AOS paperwork arrives in Chicago

March 23, 2009 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765

March 30, 2009-Biometrics letter received, appt date April 10th @11am philly office

April 10, 2009-Biometrics appt. done, in and out in 15 minutes

Nov. 18, 2009-Card production ordered

9q7SPs.jpg

weddingpics082-1.jpg

IgJym4.png

Honestly, I'll probably call the cops tomorrow. We had a few weird run-ins (neighbors ftw) with them so I'm kind of leery of cops, but I don't want anyone else to be robbed, obviously.

Wis-Can -- you definitely need a dog! Tell him to fence his yard, whatever. My dad is a huge gun person but he still says that the best protection that you can have against intruders is a dog. Especially a big dog.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

Scary! Glad your ok!

For a while when I first started to live alone I had these dreams of people breaking into my apartment. So scary in just dream form!

Sheep: Baa-ram-ewe, baa-ram-ewe. To your breed, your fleece, your clan be true. Sheep be true. Baa-ram-ewe.

wow, he probably saw signs that you were home. cause believe me, if he was really interested in robbing you (and had thought that no 1 was home) he probably woulda football kickd ur pug, good thing ur dog warned you tho. Always lock the doors, you coulda been raped or worse. Everytime my husband leaves (we just got a new apartment so he is kinda paranoid) he tells me to lock the doors, he will shut the door, and walk away, and if he comes back and the door is still open, (he literally walks down the hallway, turns around, comes back andtries the door, haha) he glares at me. I would report it to the police, and mke sure all windows doors and everything that can be locked is.

Meh, honestly? I'm not so sure. I tend to leave the sliding glass door unlocked when I go to class. I don't have a car -- hubby does. Based on the general behavior of robbers in the area, I think he was expecting an unlocked apartment with (at least) a caged dog, no one home.

I think someone was casing the place on Monday. Hubby didn't even tell me but someone walked into our apartment, Monday morning, on his cell-phone and was like "oh sorry, wrong apartment."

Had that happen twice with really drunk people, but yeah.

Keep the gun close to the 1st floor doors.

Glad it all worked out safely!

I think I'd keep the gun where I am most often. (I don't have kids, btw!) By the first floor door -- that's where the guy was trying to break in to. Had I needed to use the gun....I don't think I'm the type of person who would be able to charge into a room, take a gun, and then turn it onto someone else. I'm not Chuck Norris!

Keep the gun close to the 1st floor doors.

Glad it all worked out safely!

I think I'd keep the gun where I am most often. (I don't have kids, btw!) By the first floor door -- that's where the guy was trying to break in to. Had I needed to use the gun....I don't think I'm the type of person who would be able to charge into a room, take a gun, and then turn it onto someone else. I'm not Chuck Norris!

Perhaps an advanced course in home defense may be in order? You would be surprised at how fast you can bring self defense (guns) into action, when a threat is imminent.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Definitely tell the police just in case he IS working the neighborhood. Even if you didn't get a good look it still puts the whole neighborhood on alert and make people more cautious.

As for guns...well be careful the burglar will probably sue you and win if you shoot them. In england this farmer named tony martin shot some gypsies in the back after he caught them, again, on his property. Unfortunately they started to run and he shot them, in the back. He was sued and convicted despite the fact that they had terrorized him for years.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)