GordonFreeman

Quick Marriage in Vegas

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Portugal
Timeline

I'm about to have my interview at the embassy, and my fiancee is waiting in California.

Her grandma & grandpa got married in Vegas, in the drive-through, and she begged me to do it, because their love story is still talked in the family, and probably will for generations.

I'm just wondering - is there any chance that the immigration/government will bit.ch about it for "not being proper marriage" or something?

It's a legal marriage, right? :star:

Edited by GordonFreeman

I'm about to have my interview at the embassy, and my fiancee is waiting in California.

Her grandma & grandpa got married in Vegas, in the drive-through, and she begged me to do it, because their love story is still talked in the family, and probably will for generations.

I'm just wondering - is there any chance that the immigration/government will bit.ch about it for "not being proper marriage" or something?

It's a legal marriage, right? :star:

It is a legal marriage.

I doubt ICE would care, as long as you get married :)

Enjoy, but remember, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, unless it's on CoPS.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Country: Portugal
Timeline
It is a legal marriage.

Thanks! That's a relief

Well... with those guys (immigration) you never know... It would be cruel of them to take that away from us as well, but I want to make sure. I might ask them that at the interview anyway, just to hear their own take on it as well...

There is a distinct difference between a marriage and a wedding.

A marriage is a legal joining of two people and a wedding is a ceremony. The Embassy nor USCIS has jurisdiction over what ceremony you do/don't have - nor do they want to.

There are countless couples here on VJ and elsewhere that were married without a ceremonial wedding at all - and probably a few that did the Elvis Chapel marriage/wedding (or similar) too.. Not something to be concerned about. :thumbs:

Vegas2_Chapel.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
It is a legal marriage.

Thanks! That's a relief

Well... with those guys (immigration) you never know... It would be cruel of them to take that away from us as well, but I want to make sure. I might ask them that at the interview anyway, just to hear their own take on it as well...

There is no need to ask them at the interview. Marriages in Vegas are just like marriages anywhere else when it comes to how legal they are! They are exactly the same! Why do you think so many people have to pay for divorces after Vegas weddings, THEY ARE LEGAL.

I wouldn't ask them about it at the interview. The interview is their turn to ask *you* questions. You wont run into any trouble down the line no matter where you get married (in the US) as long as you have a valid marriage certificate! At your AOS interview when they are trying to establish that you are still a happily married couple, THEN could be the time to tell your romantic Vegas wedding story! But I'd recommend leaving it out of the interview so as not to confuse things!

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.