tinyrosie

Problem with biometrics... anybody had the same experience?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hi All,

I went for biometrics on Feb 27, but on March 12 I received a mail from USCIS saying I need to redo biometrics on April 2 because the FBI can not print my finger prints :wacko:

Anybody had the same experience? It really disturbs me because I am afraid it would take even longer time for my AOS to be approved :(

D

Timeline:

16-05-08 Sent I-129F to VSC

28-05-08 NOA1

18-09-08 NOA2

09-10-08 Medical

23-10-08 Interview - Approved

29-10-08 Visa received

17-11-08 POE

03-01-09 SSN card received (maiden name, changed to married name sometime after EAD received)

27-01-09 AOS documents sent

03-02-09 AOS NOA1

27-02-09 Biometrics appointment

02-04-09 Redo biometrics... aargghh!! >:(

03-04-09 Advance Parole received

10-04-09 EAD card received

01-05-09 RFE received

20-05-09 RFE response sent

25-06-09 AOS approved (CRIS e-mail notification)

07-07-09 Green Card received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, this has happened to other VJers as well. Just go back and redo the biometrics and hopefully this time they will have a good image.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Hi All,

I went for biometrics on Feb 27, but on March 12 I received a mail from USCIS saying I need to redo biometrics on April 2 because the FBI can not print my finger prints :wacko:

Anybody had the same experience? It really disturbs me because I am afraid it would take even longer time for my AOS to be approved :(

D

Yes, it happened to many people in the past and it is normal but it will slightly delay your case.

*IR-1 Visa* VSC

I-130 (IR-1):

07/22/2008: NOA1

02/17/2009: I-130 NOA2: Approved in 210 days from NOA1 date

I-129F (K-3):

08/11/2008: NOA1

02/17/2009: I-129F NOA2: Approved in 190 days from NOA1 date

<not pursuing I-129F petition further but NVC forwarded case to Consulate on 02/24/2009>

NVC Journey:

02/19/2009: NVC Received/Case number assigned for I-130

02/20/2009: DS-3032 sent by e-mail and 03/04/2009: DS-3032 sent by regular mail

02/26/2009: NVC received DS-3032 Choice of Agent selection

02/26/2009: DS-3032 accepted and AOS Bill Generated but not IV Bill

02/28/2009: AOS Bill Package received in mail

02/28/2009: Paid AOS Bill and IV Bill (as it was available) online

03/03/2009: Both AOS and IV Bill Show as Paid and Coversheet Printed

03/04/2009: Mailed I-864 and IV (DS-230) Packages

03/06/2009: I-864 and IV Packages Received by NVC and Scanned on 03/10/2009

03/13/2009: Case completed at NVC (in 17 working days from date NVC Received)

03/25/2009: Interview date assigned by NVC

US Consulate @ Mumbai, India

04/02/2009: Medical Exam (based on NVC e-mail for interview)

04/13/2009: Interview Packet Received from US Consulate

04/16/2009: Documents submitted at VFS office

[Classified]: Date of Interview

USA Journey

02/21/2009: Permanent Resident # Received (Ref: NOA2 of USCIS)

05/2009: POE

##/##/2009: Permanent Resident Card

##/##/2009: SSN

Love must be sincere............Roman 12:9

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi All,

D

Hi tinyrosie

I had the exact same problem with my biometrics last week. The officer took my digital prints and asked if I was in the medical profession or whether I was a pianist (?!?!). Reason being that the scanner couldn't get a solid reading of my prints. Apparently my 'contours are not very defined' LOL! I guess too much washing or over-use takes it toll. She said that if the FBI can't read them, they'll call me back and I have to redo them. She hinted at the fact that, after going the second time, they normally just proceed even if the second batch is poor. Another reason why some people's fingerprints are hard to scan, is if you're too dehydrated. I guess our fingers need to be juicy and plump otherwise their technology doesn't work ;) I'm hitting McDonalds and the soda fountain if I get called back.

Don't worry too much about it and sorry for the delay that it's caused. Not working sucks the bag for sure.

| k1 visa timeline |

22 feb 08 - petition mailed to csc

25 feb 08 - noa1

14 jul 08 - noa2

16 jul 08 - nvc received

23 jul 08 - nvc sent to consulate

25 jul 08 - us consulate received

30 jul 08 - rfe dated 28 jul received from consulate

31 jul 08 - rfe sent back to consulate

08 aug 08 - packet 3

27 aug 08 - medical complete

05 sept 08 - faxed back packet 3

15 sept 08 - received my birth certif!!

15 sept 08 - packet 4!!

21 oct 08 - interview - approved!

08 nov 08 - moved

27 dec 08 - married my sweetheart

| aos timeline |

01 feb 09 - aos/ead/ap mailed to chicago

03 feb 09 - received at chicago USCIS address

04 feb 09 - received driver's license!

11 feb 09 - received noa for aos/ead/ap dated feb 6

10 mar 09 - biometrics

06 apr 09 - received ap! dated mar 30

09 apr 09 - received ead! dated mar 30

21 apr 09 - received interview request! dated apr 15

25 jun 09 - interview - approved!

26 jun 09 - card production ordered

1 july 09 - approval letter received dated june 26

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Thank you all for your encouragement.

When I went for my biometrics on Feb 27, two different officers had to assist me because the first one just couldn't even get the scanner to get my finger prints image with score other than zero :wacko: The second officer did a better job, but apparently still not good enough :angry:

I am glad to hear that they would just proceed even the second batch is poor. Otherwise, I might just ask them to do it the old fashioned way: use INK! :P

Snapcracklepop: I will make sure I drink LOTS of water before going for my second biometrics! :lol:

Thanks again guys! :star:

Hi All,

D

Hi tinyrosie

I had the exact same problem with my biometrics last week. The officer took my digital prints and asked if I was in the medical profession or whether I was a pianist (?!?!). Reason being that the scanner couldn't get a solid reading of my prints. Apparently my 'contours are not very defined' LOL! I guess too much washing or over-use takes it toll. She said that if the FBI can't read them, they'll call me back and I have to redo them. She hinted at the fact that, after going the second time, they normally just proceed even if the second batch is poor. Another reason why some people's fingerprints are hard to scan, is if you're too dehydrated. I guess our fingers need to be juicy and plump otherwise their technology doesn't work ;) I'm hitting McDonalds and the soda fountain if I get called back.

Don't worry too much about it and sorry for the delay that it's caused. Not working sucks the bag for sure.

Timeline:

16-05-08 Sent I-129F to VSC

28-05-08 NOA1

18-09-08 NOA2

09-10-08 Medical

23-10-08 Interview - Approved

29-10-08 Visa received

17-11-08 POE

03-01-09 SSN card received (maiden name, changed to married name sometime after EAD received)

27-01-09 AOS documents sent

03-02-09 AOS NOA1

27-02-09 Biometrics appointment

02-04-09 Redo biometrics... aargghh!! >:(

03-04-09 Advance Parole received

10-04-09 EAD card received

01-05-09 RFE received

20-05-09 RFE response sent

25-06-09 AOS approved (CRIS e-mail notification)

07-07-09 Green Card received

Thank you all for your encouragement.

When I went for my biometrics on Feb 27, two different officers had to assist me because the first one just couldn't even get the scanner to get my finger prints image with score other than zero :wacko: The second officer did a better job, but apparently still not good enough :angry:

I am glad to hear that they would just proceed even the second batch is poor. Otherwise, I might just ask them to do it the old fashioned way: use INK! :P

Snapcracklepop: I will make sure I drink LOTS of water before going for my second biometrics! :lol:

Thanks again guys! :star:

Hi All,

D

Hi Rosie,

This seems to happen regularly (also with me). Do some research on VJ, since there have been some excellent posts about this, further answering your question.

As the previous poster said, they will twice attempt to get your fingerprints. If that does not work, you will most likely have to have a background check done at the local policestation. This is your local US policestation. The check will cover the time since you arrived in the US (since they would already have the police certificate from your country of origin).

Hi tinyrosie

Hi Rosie,

As already mentioned in this thread, this seems to happen quite regularly (including to me) so I would not worry too much about it (it is just annoying).

Check out other VJ threads about this, because there have already been some excellent posts written about this, and they will further answer your questions (there is even an FBI line you can call after your next biometrics, to know whether they have processed your prints).

From what I have read and from what a CIS representative has told me, they will try to take your prints twice. If that does not work, then you should be asked to get a background check done at your local (US) police station. This should cover the period since you have arrived in the US, since you already provided CIS with a police certificate from your country of origin.

Good luck.

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

Same thing happened to us. When you are interviewed, make sure you bring a certificate of good conduct from your local police station. We got one from Houston PD ($3) -at the AOS interview the certificate is what they ask for when your fingerprints are "non-classifiable". If you don't have a certificate, then they will hold your approval while you drag yourself down to get the certificate. We brought one because when we found out about the "two rejections" we scheduled an infopass to ask an immigration officer what the hell we were supposed to do. That's what she told us to bring to interview.

They will only take them (your prints) twice. If they fail twice, then you automatically get an interview. Good luck!

i don't get it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.