Satellite

Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I need your help here. I have a K1 client and now he resides in Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic. But he is a Russian citizen and not a Citizen of Moldova. Which embassy would he be invited to?

Bucharest, Romania - http://moldova.usembassy.gov/marriage.html

Moscow, Russia - Based on citizenship.

Do I actually have a choice in this matter?

I was under the impression it was the embassy where he currently resides, regardless of citizenship. I believe in a matter of third country nationals (those living or working abroad from their own country of citizenship, and now dealing with the U.S. government) they can either go back home or do it in the country they currently reside. Moldova=Romania for embassy purposes. But, you could put Moscow down as well. Your choice!

I never thought I'd see the day when Satellite was on here asking for our advice. Oh, by the way, that's officially a consultation fee since it's for your client. I'm guessing about $250 should do it.

And look at the bright side, if you're wrong, we make another $250 to do it over! Man I should be a lawyer.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Timeline
I was under the impression it was the embassy where he currently resides, regardless of citizenship. I believe in a matter of third country nationals (those living or working abroad from their own country of citizenship, and now dealing with the U.S. government) they can either go back home or do it in the country they currently reside. Moldova=Romania for embassy purposes. But, you could put Moscow down as well. Your choice!

I never thought I'd see the day when Satellite was on here asking for our advice. Oh, by the way, that's officially a consultation fee since it's for your client. I'm guessing about $250 should do it.

And look at the bright side, if you're wrong, we make another $250 to do it over! Man I should be a lawyer.

And since I answered it first, you qualify as the second opinion. I'm a generous guy, so I'll cut you in for 25%. :D

Timeline

Bucharest, Romania

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Timeline

He doesn't reside in Moldova. He resides in a republic that has broken away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transnistria

It lies in between Moldova and Ukraine.

I do tend to agree with Neonred that it is probably Romania. I find this particularly odd as you have to travel to a foreign country to get a US visa, what if the foreign country denies you entry?

Slim and Mox, this country / Republic and even Moldova for that matter do not have a US embassy. Moldova has a consulate but they do not do K1 visas.

Edited by Satellite

Filed: Timeline

Interesting. So I'm curious...does it matter? I mean, the State Department is going to decide where his interview is, and you or he won't really have any input in the matter, correct? So is this a case where he would need to get started on additional paperwork and/or travel visas depending on where the interview takes place?

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
He doesn't reside in Moldova. He resides in a republic that has broken away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transnistria

It lies in between Moldova and Ukraine.

I do tend to agree with Neonred that it is probably Romania. I find this particularly odd as you have to travel to a foreign country to get a US visa, what if the foreign country denies you entry?

Slim and Mox, this country / Republic and even Moldova for that matter do not have a US embassy. Moldova has a consulate but they do not do K1 visas.

Well wiki says "The modern Republic of Moldova does not recognize the secession and considers PMR-controlled territories to be a part of Moldova's sovereign territory", hence I'd agree with everyone else and say file for Moldova and have interview in Romania. I believe he needs to get a visa, and they are 95% approved to go to Romania for the interview (provided proof of interview is submitted). Those few that get denied visa's have to reschedule their interview and usually get the visa on the second try (usually not enough proof was submitted with first visa app).

Moldova is not the only country that sends their residents to other countries for K1's.

A woman is like a tea bag: she does not know how strong she is until she is in hot water.

- Nancy Reagan

He doesn't reside in Moldova. He resides in a republic that has broken away. Slim and Mox, this country / Republic and even Moldova for that matter do not have a US embassy. Moldova has a consulate but they do not do K1 visas.

This would be kind of like when "Russians" are from Tatarstan or Ingusetia. Sure, they're not really from Russia, but as far as the U.S. is concerned, they're Russians. Since he's "kind of in Moldova" then he's in Moldova.

So is this a case where he would need to get started on additional paperwork and/or travel visas

To my knowledge, there's no additional paperwork/visas necessary to go from Moldova into and out of Romania temporarily, even for Russians. Kind of a U.S./Canada type deal.

Moldova is not the only country that sends their residents to other countries for K1's.

To be quite technical, Moldova's not sending the guy anywhere, the U.S. is. Like Satellite said above, there's no embassy in Moldova, only a consulate. It's kind of like sending Russians from the Far East all the way to Moscow for a K-1 when, in theory, they could go right to the consulate in Vladivostok. But, that consulate doesn't do K-1s. (But they do B-visas...Don't shoot the messenger....)

Anyone remember that song, "dragostea den tei?" (my ah hee, my ah hah, my ah hee, my ah hah hah............. numa numa yeah!) Anyway, one of my wife's buddies here is from Moldova and she got all excited one day and was like, "Oh my gosh. It's Moldovan song! Everyone says it's Romanian but it's not. Those guys, who make this song, really they from Moldova but nobody will make for them record. So, they go to Romania and make it then it's big hit and everyone want's to say it's Romanian music. But it's not, it's Moldovan!"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Yes, they will need to get a visa to go the the embassy in Romania which often means standing in line for hours.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Timeline

So what role does question #20 play in all this of the I-129F

"20. Your fiancé(e) will apply for a visa abroad at the American embassy or consulate at:

NOTE: (Designation of a U.S. embassy or consulate outside the country of your fiancé(e)'s last residence does not guarantee

acceptance for processing by that foreign post. Acceptance is at the discretion of the designated embassy or consulate.)"

I am going to put Moscow here anyway and see what happens. Because Neonred is dead on, a visa is required for both Moldavian and Russian citizens to enter Romania. What a pain. I could also try to put Kiev, since it is closer and does not have any visa requirements, but if I can have my choice I rather send him to Moscow, at least he'll have the same Russian passport as everyone else and I am more familiar with the procedure there.

Edited by Satellite

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The consulate with jurisdiction over Moldova (and the breakaway republics) is currently Bucharest.... You can try to consulate shop by putting Moscow or Kiev, but as it is right now, NVC will assign Bucharest.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Umm.. Moldova indeed has an Embassy located in Chisinau

http://moldova.usembassy.gov/

What it has in the consulate is only an NIV unit.... K-1's need an to be issued by an IV unit

YMMV

OK.

Русский форум член.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

My head hurts.

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.