JennaLyn

how do they know?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I do have one other question...he was here in January and left Jan 22nd? It doesn't matter though right? Even though he was here in January, the time started over again while he was here? lol did you understand that?

It would mean he's spent 22 days thus far in the states this year?

And thank you for trying to find that article I am eager to read it!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not sure about this whole calendar year vs border crossing year - 6 month time period - thing, I don't think that exists.

Krikit is the knowledgable one about this subject so I just looked up one of her previous postings about it, where she gives a link to U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

From what I am reading - the calendar year etc does not enter in to it at all. Basically what they say is that a Canadian can enter for 6 months and there is no particular amount of time you have to be out of the U.S. before that 'resets'.

What they also say is that if it seems to the border person that you are spending more time in the U.S. than in Canada, it may get complicated for you in terms of proving you are not just living in the U.S. basically.

Documents required by Canadian Citizens/Residents/Landed Immigrant to enter the U.S. and how long can they stay? link

Canadian citizens generally are not required to have a visa or a passport (until June 1, 2009) and may visit the U.S. for up to 6 months

The burden of proof that the Canadian citizen is not an intended immigrant (plans to make the U.S. their primary residence) is always on the applicant. There is no set period of time Canadians must wait to re-enter the U.S. after the end of their stay, but if it appears to the CBP officer that the person applying for entry is spending more time over-all in the U.S. than in Canada, it will be up to the traveler to prove to the officer that they are not de-facto U.S. residents. One of the ways to do this is demonstrate significant ties to their home country, including proof of employment, residency, etc.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

thank you trailmix...and everyone who replied. I am a bit more confused now then I was before...

If there is no set time limit a Canadian has to "wait" before they are allowed to reenter...then how will they know if they have overstayed or not? They can't?

Aaah well, I guess I won't worry about it. I know that he is spending more time in Canada then he is in the States...our visits will only be about a week every two months...

Thank you all again!!

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm just going by what US CBP has actually told me when I was being interrogated...erm...questioned.... 6 months per calendar year or per trip if you're on an extended stay.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

One of the ways they would know actually comes up when you apply for any sort of immigrant intent visa. There are questions that require you to list your visits to the US in detail. You are expected to put the full time you are in the US down as an answer and you really need to tell the truth because being caught out in a lie is far worse than having an overstay. Since you never know what resources they might have to 'prove' you were in the US when you say you weren't, you don't want to take the risk. So, one of the ways they find out is that you have to tell them.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Well, when I was flying back from Nevada to Canada, they scanned my passport, as ''proof'' that I left the country. Or so the lady at the check out counter told me. o_o

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Timeline

I was told the same thing Ber + Ter. I was given a limted stay in July (due to my immigrant intent) and the CBP scanned my passport and said "there, nothing to worry about, the US knows you left" or something like that.

I think they know. Or maybe I've read 1984 too many times

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline
thank you trailmix...and everyone who replied. I am a bit more confused now then I was before...

If there is no set time limit a Canadian has to "wait" before they are allowed to reenter...then how will they know if they have overstayed or not? They can't?

Aaah well, I guess I won't worry about it. I know that he is spending more time in Canada then he is in the States...our visits will only be about a week every two months...

Thank you all again!!

Yes, if they scan your passport - they know if you've been good or bad :lol:

And no Jenna, it doesn't make a lot of logical sense. As Reba mentioned, she was told something different by the border agent when she was interrogated. The rules are apparently up for interpretation - the border agent has the final say, of course and they can certainly interpret anything the way they want to on a case by case basis.

There is no 100% accurate rule here, in my opinion. You could take the information from their own website to the border with you and you may as well be taking a comic for all the good it would do if you tried to argue the point.

Timeline

thank you all!! He said he doesn't believe they have scanned his passport each time he has re-entered Canada. But oh well...we'll just keep going the way we were...which either way(if we do it fiscal or calender year) he won't be over staying...

Have a great day to you all!!

and thank you again... :goofy:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am not sure how well they keep track, last time I came back into canada, the canadian BP didnt even ask to see my ID, I have heard that they can pick up on the chip in the new enhanced diver's license... but i dont have one of those. Kinda makes me wonder about who we are letting into our own country. Afterall she didnt even ask me what my name was, just where I live and how i knew my friend that picked me up in buffalo...

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I travel every week across the border and i do ride shares as well. This is what I have gathered from all my rideshares who travel quite often to the US and other canadians working in US that I know. as far as what they've told me, they have to exit before their 90 days is up.(maybe the days amount have changed now). so what they usually do is come back to canada for a week and return to stay again and it is a cycle they follow. In my experience, I have been crossing the border for 1 1/2 years almost every week and holidays (leave friday & back monday). I'm sure that amounts to over 180 days i guess in a year. lol. who knows. but i have never been asked about the amount of days and if i'm not allowed to enter or not b/c of some limited time. I dont think CDN or American border really care. What the US border patrol want to know is that you have to have a great tie to Canada and that you will not immigrate illegally to their country and that you have the intention of going back home. I have gotten in trouble once for crossing the border w/ my I-130 pending and i have proven that I have no intention of moving earlier than allowed and i've always told them I'm only going to be there for a weekend/holiday. As for coming back to Canada, i dont think the Canadian border give a ####### at all. they rarely ask for my passport or scan it. All they ask is how long I've been away and what my purpose of my trip was. (and of course the tabacco/liquor question).

I also have a regular passenger that is a permanent resident in US (but works in Canada) and she says she needs to complete certain amount of days for her US citizenship. Apparently whenever she exits the country, the days she is out of the country is counted against the days for her completion date. I asked her how the gov't would even know. She says sometimes the officer scans her ID/passport/PR card. sometimes they dont. She can only assume that her days start from the day of her POE, and she'll know when she's completed the days when she's notified by US gov't.lol. i guess she doesnt really care much. maybe the border only care when you "fly" to another continent for a certain period of time. This probably didnt answer anyones question but i just found it interesting and weird and confusing. lol. i dont know if i should believe it. lol

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

Filed: Other Timeline

90 days limit is for visa waiver countries, not Canada.

Yes, they honestly do care at the border. Ask anyone here who's been interogated by them just how much they do care!

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
Yes, they honestly do care at the border. Ask anyone here who's been interogated by them just how much they do care!

What border driver is describing, I'd be very careful. My brother was working with a hockey program up in Colorado years ago and he would spend 3 months there, come back, spend three months there, come back for a week...

Well, he eventually got caught and while he wasn't barred, they told him to stop doing what he was doing or the next time he went up to colorado they would put a ban on him.

Again, can I just say that spending more time in someone else's country then your own is suspicious. Unless you are a 55 years old and a snowbird, I don't see why you would be spending time (as a visitor) in someone else's country without having a reason for doing it. If you don't work or go to school or have any type of residence you live at in Canada, then it appears that you are living with someone in the US then.

To me, it's not about the exact number of days. It is all about how it looks to US BP.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The US will scan your licence plate if you drive, your boarding pass and passport when you fly etc. It may not seem like they are keeping track, but over the past decade they have become a lot more strict in that way. They will most likely be scanning your licence plate when you leave the US as well, boarding pass and passport when you leave by flying as well. This then can give them an accurate record of how long a person is away.

Sure people have found ways over such as having a friend drive them over and dumping them off, but the INS should have a good database filled with all that information. Now that doesn't mean though that they are spending every waking hour to see who is overstaying or not. It just means that the information is quite possibly there if they really wanted to persue a case...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.